Did anyone know about this guy?

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Did anyone know about this guy?

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Dikran Tulaine (Tulane)

An actor, been in LOTS of stuff, we've probably all seen at least something he's been in.
He was the original lead singer for the group North London Invaders, which later (after he left) became the legendary 1970s/80s English ska band Madness.

He used the name "Dikran Tulane" when he was with the band, naming himself after our beloved school. Why? No idea. Anyone know? It doesn't appear he attended.

He changed his name to "Tulaine" when he left music and started acting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dikran_Tulaine

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Did anyone know about this guy?

Unread post by WaveProf »

He's brutish but he grew up in the Caribbean and the USA, landing in Pittsburgh by high school. That's all I've got.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

Is he the guy that Chuck Berry was singing about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote:He's brutish
British, brutish... whatever. :lol: (cell phone spell correction?)
WaveProf wrote:but he grew up in the Caribbean and the USA, landing in Pittsburgh by high school. That's all I've got.
So you read the wikipedia page I linked. Well done! 8)

He did high school in the USA but no indication that he went to college. I wonder if a friend of his had been accepted at Tulane, or if he visited the school (either as a potential student or visiting someone) and had a blast and decided to take on the name as a tribute or a "mindset"?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

I got nothin' on Dikran (although I want to say that that's just his actual name), but any excuse to post Madness videos....

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

GretnaGrn, that very song came on my phone in a random playlist this morning and that's what drove me to look up Madness online, which is what led me to discover this guy.

Besides the obvious American familiarity with "Our House" (1983), I was always a fan of this one...

Of course, when it was on MTV, I was way too young to get what the song was actually about (not that I could understand those accents back then, if even now). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_F ... al_content
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:GretnaGrn, that very song came on my phone in a random playlist this morning and that's what drove me to look up Madness online, which is what led me to discover this guy.

Besides the obvious American familiarity with "Our House" (1983), I was always a fan of this one...

Of course, when it was on MTV, I was way too young to get what the song was actually about (not that I could understand those accents back then, if even now). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_F ... al_content
Another good choice. I always found "Our House" to be shockingly weak for their one US hit (they were much more popular in the UK, though). Really, a foundation band for ska.