This HAS turned out poorly

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
windywave
Emerald Circle

This HAS turned out poorly

Unread post by windywave »

Like the English press and Elton John I can't say anything else
Last edited by windywave on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Wavery
Navigator Level

Re: This has the potential to turn out poorly

Unread post by Wavery »

huh???
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

"executive summary"
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
windywave
Emerald Circle

Wavery wrote:huh???
Multiple rules prohibit me for writing more. I save my pissing matches with the gestapo for in season stuff. But this has the potential to be a black eye amongst other things. Hopefully it's a tempest in a teapot
#cousins don't count
Lafwave
Riptide Level

Unread post by Lafwave »

Roll Wave
windywave
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:"executive summary"

Ronald Reagan said "Mr. Gorbachev tear down this wall."
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Lafwave wrote:guessing he is talking about this? https://thehayride.com/2016/04/tulane-f ... uild-wall/
I would like the gestapo to note is didn't post the link
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Let's see...frat does something that they've done many times before, this time with a contemporary political spin, then they get the attention they're looking for. Who cares who tore it down?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
windywave
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:Let's see...frat does something that they've done many times before, this time with a contemporary political spin, then they get the attention they're looking for. Who cares who tore it down?
Some people evidently
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

There was a hilarious thread on the Rant about this. They didn't know that this is a bit of a tradition & they at first thought it was not Tulane students who dismantled the sandbag wall. You can guess the tone it took.
long green
Cornerstone

The Hayride is trying to blow up a nothing event for narrow partisan reasons. The wall is supposed to be attacked & defended. This time the attackers were people the KA's declined to engage & this looks like their response.
windywave
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:There was a hilarious thread on the Rant about this. They didn't know that this is a bit of a tradition & they at first thought it was not Tulane students who dismantled the sandbag wall. You can guess the tone it took.
I reviewed it .... the football team should not be participating in sophomoric asshattery
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

IMO the players should apologize and be disciplined now.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Name your punishment on here, Poseidon.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

Each player who participated put a sandbag on their shoulders and run X amount of stadiums. Those who didn't participate who are on the team run X/2 amount of stadiums, with a sandbag on their shoulder, just because they are on the team. One stupid play can effect the whole team.

Then put it behind everyone.
JDTulane
President's Circle

Unread post by JDTulane »

Every year this wall is an issue. Every year this frat continues to represent a darker side of Tulane and southern history. Every year this wall embarrasses the university.

I respect their right to put it up and I respect the right of the world to point, sigh, and shake their heads in dismay. My son (of the future...) will never be in KA.

Tulane response:
Dear Tulane Community,

Many members of the university community have expressed concern over the words “Trump” and “Make America Great Again” that appeared on a wall of sandbags at the off campus chapter house of the Tulane Kappa Alpha Order (KA) on Thursday, April 7.

Tulane encourages and supports the free exchange of ideas and opinions including any expression of support for or opposition to political candidates. We also understand that while members of KA said they intended the words as satire, it sparked a visceral reaction in the context of a very heated and divisive political season.

The Division of Student affairs is working with students and community members in a comprehensive approach to addressing these issues. The Office of Fraternity and Sorority programs is working with the KA chapter leadership, members and national headquarters. The Office of Multicultural Affairs is working with various multicultural groups and students who feel impacted by this incident.

Furthermore, the Office of Student conduct is reviewing the various reports submitted through the http://tulane.edu/concerns website and are gathering additional information in order to follow up on these reports.

As an institution of higher education and learning, we are committed to exploring ways to facilitate learning opportunities from this incident. We remain committed to our values of free speech and inclusion in a learning environment that thrives on the expression of multiple perspectives and viewpoints. Simultaneously we remain committed to supporting all our students in alleviating anything that detracts from the educational environment.

Dr. Dusty Porter
Vice President of Student Affairs
zmanno
Navigator Level

Unread post by zmanno »

poor reflection on these players throwing sandbags in middle of street, removing other peoples property and not even comprehending the tongue in cheek nature of the wall. Even if it was not tongue in cheek they have no right to touch it. I love Tulane athletics but count me out with this type of bs. They should be disciplined.
windywave
Emerald Circle

That letter from porter is basically nonsensical mealy mouthed drivel.
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Wavery wrote:Each player who participated put a sandbag on their shoulders and run X amount of stadiums. Those who didn't participate who are on the team run X/2 amount of stadiums, with a sandbag on their shoulder, just because they are on the team. One stupid play can effect the whole team.

Then put it behind everyone.

Possibly this Long Green. I do not favor legal action in any case. If I were CWF I would say "Guys the flip side would be the some frat members going over to the practice field and vandalizing the football sled or the water coolers. Would it be cool for them do that? You don't have to agree with what they are doing, but as civilized people we 'do unto others as we would have them do unto us.' Now those who are a real civilized men go apologize to the frat, tell them why how you went wrong and offer a beer and put the wall back up if they accept your apology." This is a learning situation. The two sides are not going to agree on wall or trump or anything like that, but perhaps they can learn to be civilized.

On a personal note when I was in college, roughly ten years ago, I was first a member of the football team and then a member of a frat. There are both football players and frat members that do stupid moronic things. Frats do things that only frat members understand and football players do things that only football players understand. The best course is to just let each other be. I know perhaps subconsciously there is some kind of alpha tribe thing going on, but that is where begin civilized comes in.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
LondonWave
Coach Level

Unread post by LondonWave »

windywave wrote:That letter from porter is basically nonsensical mealy mouthed drivel.
This sentence probably has interesting interpretations and consequences:

"we remain committed to supporting all our students in alleviating anything that detracts from the educational environment"
TulaneRebel
Navigator Level

Unread post by TulaneRebel »

Is there anything worse than wimpy students who complain about their "safe space" being violated???
Uptown, LA
windywave
Emerald Circle

TulaneRebel wrote:Is there anything worse than wimpy students who complain about their "safe space" being violated???
The ones that manufacturer outrages to be outraged about.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

LondonWave wrote:
windywave wrote:That letter from porter is basically nonsensical mealy mouthed drivel.
This sentence probably has interesting interpretations and consequences:

"we remain committed to supporting all our students in alleviating anything that detracts from the educational environment"
No more booze?
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:
TulaneRebel wrote:Is there anything worse than wimpy students who complain about their "safe space" being violated???
The ones that manufacturer outrages to be outraged about.
absolutely...now how did The Hayride get this?
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

For context, I learned from my son (Tulane Class of 2012), who was a member of KA, the custom with the wall is for other frats or students, generally, to try to knock it down and the pledges protect, and if necessary rebuild, it. For most years, this practice of protecting/rebuilding the wall occurs with the knowledge of only a small subset of the student population. This year's politicization will likely cause a backlash that will end the building of the wall annually (to the dismay of some and the delight of many).