Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:24 pm 
Coach Level

I should add that for many years football players have regularly participated in knocking down the wall. Thus, the article's sensationalism in using "illegal" is uninformed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:27 pm 
Emerald Circle

MNAlum wrote:
I should add that for many years football players have regularly participated in knocking down the wall. Thus, the article's sensationalism in using "illegal" is uninformed.

Yup to both your posts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

MNAlum wrote:

Now you did it.

Last edited by long green on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

Throwing sandbags is a good workout. Kudos to the football team for putting in extra strength work.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:48 pm 
Coach Level

I'm having trouble understanding why anyone is upset about the wall and judging by Twitter, a lot of people are upset. Big deal some group might support a presidential candidate that you don't like, get over it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding why anyone is upset about the wall and judging by Twitter, a lot of people are upset. Big deal some group might support a presidential candidate that you don't like, get over it

That's not how safe spaces work

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:

Check out Tulane yickyack, the biggest complainers about not having a "safe space" on campus are the Trump supporters who have complained for weeks that they feel "under attack" on campus because even the campus republicans were publicly calling trump supporters "racist". My message to said Trump supporters: you should absolutely feel free to express your opinion, but that opinion can very well come at a price: the price of the expression of those on campus who disagree with you. And being a college campus full of 19 year olds, its likely that both sides will take themselves too seriously.

But really all of that discussion is besides the point. This Tulane event isn't even really all that political, its more satire, and it is being misunderstood (and over emphasized) by people on all sides of the aisle.

Time to move on.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

I moved on and I wager some of The Punishers moved on when MN broke up the party with his inconvenient memories.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:01 pm 
President's Circle

waverider wrote:
Throwing sandbags is a good workout. Kudos to the football team for putting in extra strength work.

Maybe the bowling team can take some tips!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

Check out Tulane yickyack, the biggest complainers about not having a "safe space" on campus are the Trump supporters who have complained for weeks that they feel "under attack" on campus because even the campus republicans were publicly calling trump supporters "racist". My message to said Trump supporters: you should absolutely feel free to express your opinion, but that opinion can very well come at a price: the price of the expression of those on campus who disagree with you. And being a college campus full of 19 year olds, its likely that both sides will take themselves too seriously.

But really all of that discussion is besides the point. This Tulane event isn't even really all that political, its more satire, and it is being misunderstood (and over emphasized) by people on all sides of the aisle.

Time to move on.

Nice drive by political statement (the rest of this post is edited to conform with the rules)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:17 pm 
Coach Level

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

And being a college campus full of 19 year olds, its likely that both sides will take themselves too seriously.
quote]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:18 pm 
Coach Level

WaveProf wrote:
And being a college campus full of 19 year olds, its likely that both sides will take themselves too seriously.

Exactly. Though safe spaces are ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:36 pm 
Trainer

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

Time to move on.

Nice drive by political statement (the rest of this post is edited to conform with the rules)

Couldn't agree more, and not even clever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:43 pm 
Emerald Circle

Drive by politics? I didn't even take a political side, and couldn't if I wanted to because I won't be voting for ANY of the five remaining candidates.

My point is that the complaints about "safe space" are just as assanine as "safe spaces" themselves......and people getting worked up over the non issue in this story from Tulane are just as bad about taking their politics too seriously as the 19 year olds they want to poke fun at.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

hosea wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

Time to move on.

Couldn't agree more, and not even clever.

He rarely is

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Drive by politics? I didn't even take a political side, and couldn't if I wanted to because I won't be voting for ANY of the five remaining candidates.

My point is that the complaints about "safe space" are just as assanine as "safe spaces" themselves......and people getting worked up over the non issue in this story from Tulane are just as bad about taking their politics too seriously as the 19 year olds they want to poke fun at.

Asinine is the word you're looking for. .... no one is getting worked up over anything other than you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:00 pm 
Coach Level

Somehow this "story" keeps getting more coverage. Clay Travis just wrote about it. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

Not yet time to move on...Joe Kemp just tweeted his approval of taking down the wall on the grounds of tradition & that he his mates usedfireworks.

There will be a point when this issue is dead and I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
Somehow this "story" keeps getting more coverage. Clay Travis just wrote about it. :roll:

Finally, someone stupid enough to shed some light.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:57 am 
Emerald Circle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -wall.html

And this is why I didn't want the football team involved in asshattery. . . . front page of Drudge linked to one of the largest English language websites in the world (Also as a side note the interviews of the "aggrieved traumatized students" just took about 100 prestige points off of my degree. Are people really that uninformed and incapable of independent thought?). Regardless of Prof's puffery (and still against the rules posts which have not been taken down which I will respond to after work today, unless taken down) I have no respect for idiots like those interviewed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:05 am 
Coach Level

While the information that past players participated in the wall tradition cools the situation some. It still has the appearance that the players took down the wall because they didn't like slogan and not because they were participating in a tradition. That said tradition or not if the frat guys earnestly ask the players to stop and leave their property and then they don't, they are wrong.

If you watch the video you can clearly see that the frat guy is not treating the situation as "fun and games." The frat guy in white states that this is private property and they are going to call the police. A football player responds "we don't give a f*uck," another states "call them." At this point to view this anything other and vandalism is flat out wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:10 am 
Regent's Circle

MNAlum's points are spot on; this is much ado about nothing, from both sides. The wall's gone up and down for years, regardless of the political stuff. This is the sort of silly things we all did in college, if you think back on it (hell, I did rather more silly things, personally, as anyone who has seen my Law School faces picture can attest). By the same token, college kids have said cringeworthy things, as well (again, including everyone here).

Nothing to see here; sensationalist media just going with the manufactured controversy du jour (for reference, the Daily Fail's front page, dominated by the sensationalism and gossip that's made it what it is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:16 am 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
MNAlum's points are spot on; this is much ado about nothing, from both sides. The wall's gone up and down for years, regardless of the political stuff. This is the sort of silly things we all did in college, if you think back on it (hell, I did rather more silly things, personally, as anyone who has seen my Law School faces picture can attest). By the same token, college kids have said cringeworthy things, as well (again, including everyone here).

Nothing to see here; sensationalist media just going with the manufactured controversy du jour (for reference, the Daily Fail's front page, dominated by the sensationalism and gossip that's made it what it is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html)

Well you're missing the tree (my point) for the forest (the politics). The FOOTBALL TEAM should not be doing sheet like this.

Also the Daily Mail rocks, where else do you see repeated spelling, grammar, and factual errors repeatedly. :coolshades: (That aside I think it's the largest English News site in the world, definitely one of them).

Last edited by windywave on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 am 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
Regardless of Prof's puffery (and still against the rules posts which have not been taken down which I will respond to after work today, unless taken down) I have no respect for idiots like those interviewed.

Do you have nothing better to do with your time than to be an a$$hat for the sake of it?

My comments aren't/weren't political. My point wasn't about Trump supporters one way or the other, it's about how silly the whole safe space/anti safe space debate is. In order to be against safe space, you have to imagine yourself somehow victimized by those who believe in safe space, which makes you just like the people who want safe space. It's a ridiculous vortex and I realize why it happens with 19 year olds but I don't understand why it happens with grown men and women. If we want group A to be more free to express themselves, then you cant get mad when group B expresses disdain for what group A said.

This whole thing is a non issue being fueled by people who take their politics too seriously. And also fueled by (1) some drunken frat boys who (typically) didn't think through the consequences of their actions and (2) over sensitive members of the university community who take everything as (a) serious and (b) about them

I'm out, so you can respond with whatever you want. The more we talk on this thread the more legs it gives it, and it deserves no legs. But a plague on your house for acting like this is all a big deal (on either side), blowing it up on here, and then complaining that it's a big deal elsewhere

I will cede you your central point: the football team shouldn't be involved (any year). But even that is smaller potatoes than you make it out to be.

If fireworks were used, thats just plain stupid.

Last edited by WaveProf on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:20 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:
Regardless of Prof's puffery (and still against the rules posts which have not been taken down which I will respond to after work today, unless taken down) I have no respect for idiots like those interviewed.

Do you have nothing better to do with your time than to be an a$$hat for the sake of it?

My comments aren't/weren't political. My point wasn't about Trump supporters one way or the other, it's about how silly the whole safe space/anti safe space debate is. In order to be against safe space, you have to imagine yourself somehow victimized by those who believe in safe space, which makes you just like the people who want safe space. It's a ridiculous vortex and I realize why it happens with 19 year olds but I don't understand why it happens with grown men and women.

This whole thing is a non issue being fueled by people who take their politics too seriously. And also fueled by (1) some drunken frat boys who (typically) didn't think through the consequences of their actions and (2) over sensitive members of the university community who take everything as (a) serious and (b) about them

I'm out, so you can respond with whatever you want. The more we talk on this thread the more legs it gives it, and it deserves no legs. But a plague on your house for acting like this is all a big deal (on either side), blowing it up on here, and then complaining that it's a big deal elsewhere

This post is the epitome of why people mock you. Vexed ramblings not even on point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next