This HAS turned out poorly

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: This HAS turned out poorly

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

this idiotic non-story has now made it to the Drudge Report

*sigh*
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

GreenieBacker wrote:this idiotic non-story has now made it to the Drudge Report

*sigh*
That's why I changed the subject line
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Pretty good illustration of how the modern-day media works in twisting a story into something it's not. I wish I could say I'm surprised.
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

change the subject line all you want. This well of outrage will run dry in a few days, sorry.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

you nailed it windy, an every year event that encourages students (including football players) to try an tear down some "wall", has been twisted out of recognition and taken off. Wonderful.

lg, it could very well run dry unless interested parties (interested in turning this into something its not but that helps their agendas) keep it alive. How you ask? How about demonstrations in front of the "wall"?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

GreenieBacker wrote:you nailed it windy, an every year event that encourages students (including football players) to try an tear down some "wall", has been twisted out of recognition and taken off. Wonderful.

lg, it could very well run dry unless interested parties (interested in turning this into something its not but that helps their agendas) keep it alive. How you ask? How about demonstrations in front of the "wall"?
I really tried to resist posting this. I did. But....

windywave
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:change the subject line all you want. This well of outrage will run dry in a few days, sorry.
Dumbass being on the front page of Drudge is/was what I'm worried about not because of the school but because the football team was involved .... the rest of it is just compounding stupidity
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:you nailed it windy, an every year event that encourages students (including football players) to try an tear down some "wall", has been twisted out of recognition and taken off. Wonderful.

Yep
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

I really wish people understood the first amendment
windywave
Emerald Circle

FW wrote:I really wish people understood the first amendment
Whilst I agree how is that germane?
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

windywave wrote:
How is it not?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
"THE GERMANS AIN'T GOT NUTHIN' TO DO WITH IT!!!" (insert Sheriff Buford T. Justice youtube here)
windywave
Emerald Circle

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
How is it not?
You tell me how it is.... I've laid out my concerns repeatedly and I don't see how government restriction of speech is applicable
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
How is it not?
You tell me how it is.... I've laid out my concerns repeatedly and I don't see how government restriction of speech is applicable
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about idiots who think the first amendment only works in one direction. Meaning, they are protected to say whatever they want, and then when people call them on in their racist speak, or idiocy, they yell, "but, First Amendment."
windywave
Emerald Circle

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
How is it not?
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about idiots who think the first amendment only works in one direction. Meaning, they are protected to say whatever they want, and then when people call them on in their racist speak, or idiocy, they yell, "but, First Amendment."

Who are the idiots in this case? My point is the football team shouldn't have been closer to this BS than walking to the boot
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Hey Gretna, thanks for the Brick in the Wall post. I had never seen it and the prelude before the song starts at 2:30 is classic. Having done my JYA in Manchester, UK I can just imagine what Brit primary school must have been like. :o
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
How is it not?

Who are the idiots in this case? My point is the football team shouldn't have been closer to this BS than walking to the boot
Look at the facebook comments. Look at any comments in regards. People claiming the KAs should be left alone because of Freedom of Speech, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

the last point by windy is invalidated by history. There's the wall, football players have torn it down before, go get it (please don't use explosives). Why is this wall different this year?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

IT'S A FRATERNITY PRANK FOR PLEDGES, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! The football players are bonding/having fun by going over there, annually according to posters here, and tearing down the wall in front of the KA pledges.

This thing has devolved into something racial because of the abundance of print/TV time/news websites/24 hour news coverage and the need to fill it up. It seems to me to be a faux story any way you cut it except for the fact that there are certain types who benefit by playing up trivial things like this. And any other "racial" confrontation between any two people anymore.

I thought we were going to be past this stuff after the election of 2008. Instead, it has gotten worse, much worse.

Much ado about nothing until the media got wind of it.
long green
Cornerstone

yes, it's just a prank. And the football players are doing their thing as well. But since everyone is now a TV news cameraman...
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

exactly right, Roto.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:Hey Gretna, thanks for the Brick in the Wall post. I had never seen it and the prelude before the song starts at 2:30 is classic. Having done my JYA in Manchester, UK I can just imagine what Brit primary school must have been like. :o
Wow, I thought everyone had seen that. The movie as a whole is worth checking out if you're feeling psychedelic or at all like Pink Floyd.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

FW wrote:Look at the facebook comments. Look at any comments in regards. People claiming the KAs should be left alone because of Freedom of Speech, etc.
Don't read the bottom of the internet and hope to maintain faith in humanity....

Relevant (not to you, but to those about whom you're talking):

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-ma ... nes-c-2849
windywave
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:the last point by windy is invalidated by history. There's the wall, football players have torn it down before, go get it (please don't use explosives). Why is this wall different this year?
I would have said the same thing any year. Football players should limit themselves to shenanigans and not asshattery
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

GretnaGrn wrote:
TUPF wrote:Hey Gretna, thanks for the Brick in the Wall post. I had never seen it and the prelude before the song starts at 2:30 is classic. Having done my JYA in Manchester, UK I can just imagine what Brit primary school must have been like. :o
Wow, I thought everyone had seen that. The movie as a whole is worth checking out if you're feeling psychedelic or at all like Pink Floyd.
There are whole segments of video culture I missed due to living in Italy during my high school years, no TV at Tulane, and having served underway in submarines before the internet. By the time all this stuff showed up again on YouTube or TVLand cable, etc., catching up was usually overcome by events. I have all I can handle catching up on missed episodes of Better Call Saul. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium