Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:35 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm
Posts: 1983
Location: Broadmoor
Quote:
UMC warns LSU, Tulane medical schools of deep cuts to residency programs

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... rt_m-rpt-2

It would be so easy to go political on this, but it's not necessary since the Senate and Governor won't let this happen. I'd love to be able to say a few choice words about that little twerp from Metairie though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:48 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7558
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
There is already a shortage of doctors, in part because of insufficient residencies. Add lots more people to the roles via ACA, and the problem gets even worse.

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:49 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19156
Location: Chicago
Medical residency is federally funded by medicare.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:51 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19918
Location: New Orleans
I'm not sure that if that were to happen, it would hurt Tulane very much. Remember, unlike LSU, Tulane has its very own hospital. In fact it has two hospitals: Tulane Medical Center and Tulane-Lakeside. Both of which seem to be doing very well and have very little to do with the State.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:56 am 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5985
Location: Gretna, LA
GreenieBacker wrote:
I'm not sure that if that were to happen, it would hurt Tulane very much. Remember, unlike LSU, Tulane has its very own hospital. In fact it has two hospitals: Tulane Medical Center and Tulane-Lakeside. Both of which seem to be doing very well and have very little to do with the State.

But neither has the residency programs or infrastructure that would be shut down if this idiocy made it through. Fortunately, it appears this poor plan has already been quashed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:00 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19918
Location: New Orleans
there are residents all over the place at both hospitals. Why do you think LSU threw a fit over the managing board of the new "Charity"?......because we have our own hospitals and they do not. Its a much bigger deal for them.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:01 am 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5985
Location: Gretna, LA
GreenieBacker wrote:
there are residents all over the place at both hospitals. Why do you think LSU threw a fit over the managing board of the new "Charity"?......because we have our own hospitals and they do not. Its a much bigger deal for them.

It is bigger for LoSer-U, but it would still be devastatingly bad for Tulane, too. Fortunately for everyone, it doesn't look like it will actually happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:05 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19918
Location: New Orleans
won't be devastating for Tulane, but it will be inconvenient. Also, with TU's marriage to HCA their Residents would have access to Lakeview Medical Center in Covington. That's three pretty good sized hospitals that could all use Residents, Fellows, etc.

for LSU its a Doomsday scenario. And also terrible for the State as a whole.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:08 am 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5985
Location: Gretna, LA
GreenieBacker wrote:
won't be devastating for Tulane, but it will be inconvenient. Also, with TU's marriage to HCA their Residents would have access to Lakeview Medical Center in Covington. That's three pretty good sized hospitals that could all use Residents, Fellows, etc.

for LSU its a Doomsday scenario. And also terrible for the State as a whole.

It would be worse than you think. It would shut LoSer-U down; it wouldn't do that to Tulane, but it would create a lot of problems for certain programs, and require sudden and massive changes.

Keep in mind, it's more than just shuffling residents around; you need to have faculty on hand to supervise them, and patient flow in the particular specialties to use them. For some specialties, there likely would be little impact for Tulane. For others, you'ld have to make substantial changes to accommodate your current residents et al.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:12 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19918
Location: New Orleans
Gretna, Tulane Medical Center has Tulane Medical School literally across the street (I'm pretty sure you know that :wink: ). TMC is full of Medical Staff and Residents all over the place making rounds. Just walk around over there and you'll see them in packs visiting patients, huddling together, etc :-)

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:52 am 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5985
Location: Gretna, LA
GreenieBacker wrote:
Gretna, Tulane Medical Center has Tulane Medical School literally across the street (I'm pretty sure you know that :wink: ). TMC is full of Medical Staff and Residents all over the place making rounds. Just walk around over there and you'll see them in packs visiting patients, huddling together, etc :-)

And it looks like there's room to add the others over at the other hospital? You've checked every specialty? Yes, they already have residents. This proposal would have forced them to suddenly add a whole lot more who are currently working elsewhere, and some of whose specialties are primarily housed elsewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:52 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19156
Location: Chicago
GretnaGrn wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
won't be devastating for Tulane, but it will be inconvenient. Also, with TU's marriage to HCA their Residents would have access to Lakeview Medical Center in Covington. That's three pretty good sized hospitals that could all use Residents, Fellows, etc.

for LSU its a Doomsday scenario. And also terrible for the State as a whole.

It would be worse than you think. It would shut LoSer-U down; it wouldn't do that to Tulane, but it would create a lot of problems for certain programs, and require sudden and massive changes.

Keep in mind, it's more than just shuffling residents around; you need to have faculty on hand to supervise them, and patient flow in the particular specialties to use them. For some specialties, there likely would be little impact for Tulane. For others, you'ld have to make substantial changes to accommodate your current residents et al.


Gretna I don't residency works the way you think it does. (One of the few times using that phrase isn't meant to be dick and condescending). Basically the infrastructure is having someone do the scheduling and the instructor is the doc doing the rounds or procedures. Wouldn't be that big of a lift. Also I will reiterate that the bulk of funding for the residency is provided by medicare. I don't really understand this kerfuffle.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:54 am 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5985
Location: Gretna, LA
windywave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
won't be devastating for Tulane, but it will be inconvenient. Also, with TU's marriage to HCA their Residents would have access to Lakeview Medical Center in Covington. That's three pretty good sized hospitals that could all use Residents, Fellows, etc.

for LSU its a Doomsday scenario. And also terrible for the State as a whole.

It would be worse than you think. It would shut LoSer-U down; it wouldn't do that to Tulane, but it would create a lot of problems for certain programs, and require sudden and massive changes.

Keep in mind, it's more than just shuffling residents around; you need to have faculty on hand to supervise them, and patient flow in the particular specialties to use them. For some specialties, there likely would be little impact for Tulane. For others, you'ld have to make substantial changes to accommodate your current residents et al.


Gretna I don't residency works the way you think it does. (One of the few times using that phrase isn't meant to be John Thomas and condescending). Basically the infrastructure is having someone do the scheduling and the instructor is the doc doing the rounds or procedures. Wouldn't be that big of a lift. Also I will reiterate that the bulk of funding for the residency is provided by medicare. I don't really understand this kerfuffle.

You have to have the time and space to accommodate the patient flow. That's the infrastructure I'm talking about; you need enough patients for all of the residents and places to see them.

I'm with you that this shouldn't be an issue; again, it looks like the idea has been shot down anyway, and it was stupid for a host of reasons to start with.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:04 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19918
Location: New Orleans
I think we all agree that the idea was idiotic from the get go.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group