TU Doctor Fights Opoid Epidemic.

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

TU Doctor Fights Opoid Epidemic.

Unread post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: TU Doctor Fights Opoid Epidemic.

Unread post by windywave »

So people put opiates on toilet paper these days, like LSD in the past?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

It's such a huge epidemic that I'm sure they're doing anything and everything.

Just this morning a coworker came in after leaving the other day with back pain. He had seen a doc and got a prescription for Vicodin. I somewhat jokingly said "don't end up doing heroin". He said "that's exactly what happened to my brother in law". (Oops, awkward... :oops:) But that's how it's happening across the country, people being prescribed opioids for pain, getting hooked, and then finding heroin on the street is much less expensive.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:Just this morning a coworker came in after leaving the other day with back pain. He had seen a doc and got a prescription for Vicodin. I somewhat jokingly said "don't end up doing heroin". He said "that's exactly what happened to my brother in law". (Oops, awkward... :oops:) But that's how it's happening across the country, people being prescribed opioids for pain, getting hooked, and then finding heroin on the street is much less expensive.
Anthony Bourdain's episode on upstate Massassuchetts is pretty much entirely about that. The first place they tested increased prescriptions of opoids for pain was in upstate Mass, and a couple of decades later the numbers (and the impact on the community) was beyond profound. Ground zero for the epidemic. At least based on how he depicted it.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

It's really bad in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I have a condo within shouting distance of I-95 in downtown Philly. Just within the last couple of years I cannot tell you how many young homeless have taken up panhandling spots near the highway exits. Otherwise able bodied, mostly young men but a few women too. Heroin.

I am so scared of having anything to do with opioids that for both the emergency gall bladder surgery and the knee surgery I've had recently, I refused post op pain meds. I'd rather suck it up for a couple of days than risk any chance of it becoming a habit. Besides, that's what martinis are for.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

read somewhere that 93% of prescription pain meds consumed worldwide are here in this country.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

Tennessee and SW Va have had problems with this; the politicos are trying to tackle this big-time. Only Alabama has had more prescriptions for opiates per capita; one year there was 1.18 prescription written per capita here in Tennessee.

They are combating it via leglislation; we have to have 2 hours of training every licensing cycle on prescribing pain medications. New laws regarding pain management centers have been instituted, where Drs get in trouble if a certain percentage of their patients are prescribed above a certain threshold. While these are noble ideas, they have not solved everything; the pain clinics have devolved into "pill mills," where Drs. set multiple ones up using NP's and PA's, not much medicine practiced there

My specialty (rheumatology) is full of diseases in which pain is a hallmark; over 100 types of arthritis, and joint pain is the cornerstone. Despite this, I don't write a lot of opiates; I have patients in reputable pain management centers, but I limit the pain medications

I still see a lot of patients referred who are on exorbitantly high levels of pain medications; the PCP cannot figure out why the patient is not responding to the pain medication, not realizing that the pathway of pain the patient has with their disorder is not touched by opiates. This is a big issue; there are too many practitioners out there who know that these are pain medicines, but do not seem to understand the pathophysiology of the patients' pain.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Glad to hear you are thinking about it deeply, AO. Whole strata of society are getting destroyed by overuse.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

I told my rheumatologist that I did not want any opiates. I can't take Ibuprofen because it apparently interferes with my Atvorstatin. Consequently, I'm left with only Acetaminophen, which requires care and frequent liver function-tests.

So I've pretty much learned to live in pain.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:I told my rheumatologist that I did not want any opiates. I can't take Ibuprofen because it apparently interferes with my Atvorstatin. Consequently, I'm left with only Acetaminophen, which requires care and frequent liver function-tests.

So I've pretty much learned to live in pain.
So THAT explains the martinis! :green wink:

Seriously. Feel better!
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:So THAT explains the martinis!...
Shhhh. You'll get windy all stirred up again.
(although if we fall behind, I may switch to gin. :lol: )
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:
Funny thing. When I was in my teens and 20s (drinking age was 18) I drank rum. In my 30s and 40s it was vodka, with the occasional glass of single malt scotch. But come my 50s and beyond, it's been gin, and Tanqueray at that. Been through Beefeaters, Hendricks, Boodles, Bombay but like the juniper heavy Tanqueray. It's funny how tastes evolve. For me, the only thing better than a summer Tanqueray G&T with Schweppes tonic is a winter Tanqueray martini, dirty, with 3 Tomolives.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:
Roller wrote:
Funny thing. When I was in my teens and 20s (drinking age was 18) I drank rum. In my 30s and 40s it was vodka, with the occasional glass of single malt scotch. But come my 50s and beyond, it's been gin, and Tanqueray at that. Been through Beefeaters, Hendricks, Boodles, Bombay but like the juniper heavy Tanqueray. It's funny how tastes evolve. For me, the only thing better than a summer Tanqueray G&T with Schweppes tonic is a winter Tanqueray martini, dirty, with 3 Tomolives.
Once again, our lives are parallel! Only with me, Gin and Vodka are reversed.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Roller wrote:
Once again, our lives are parallel! Only with me, Gin and Vodka are reversed.
tigah
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Ironically the opiate epidemic is self inflicted

10 to 20 years ago there was a study that said Americans were living with too much pain because they weren't subscribed painkillers enough and the guidelines were changed to prescribe more pain killers. yay
#cousins don't count