Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:13 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20100
Location: North Kenner
...to 130 prospective students

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/tulane- ... /371875134

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17416
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Ouch.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:48 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 29722
Location: Way ahead of you
How difficult would it be to honor those letters? I can't imagine that enrollment figures are so critical that an exception couldn't be made.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:27 am 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17416
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Roller wrote:
How difficult would it be to honor those letters? I can't imagine that enrollment figures are so critical that an exception couldn't be made.
That would be my first impulse but then I could see repercussions from that in a myriad of ways also.

Ws we used to say in the ol'Navy....it's a kah-kah sandwich so step up and take a bite.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20013
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Roller, my understanding from what im hearing is that no way they let them in. My guess is the liability worries of everyone with better credentials who doesnt get in is >>>>> than the liability worries limited to these 130 (minus however many of them get in anyway)

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:57 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 29722
Location: Way ahead of you
Well, it becomes a problem once they blab about it. They could have just quietly admitted the students, and no one would be the wiser. I mean, they haven't started telling applicants that they were or were not accepted because they had a "composite score of x" on some rating criteria, have they?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19442
Location: New Orleans
I don't think College acceptance letters itemize the reason you got in. It's "Congratulations we're pleased to notify you........", or its "Thanks but no thanks". It seems like an easy matter to accept these students, simply do as Roller noted and just add 130 very happy kids to your new freshman class.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:57 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20013
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Columbia just did it too

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/18/us/columb ... index.html

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:02 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17808
Location: Chicago
WaveProf wrote:
Roller, my understanding from what im hearing is that no way they let them in. My guess is the liability worries of everyone with better credentials who doesnt get in is >>>>> than the liability worries limited to these 130 (minus however many of them get in anyway)


What frick liability? This is statement unfounded in fact or reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:02 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 29865
Location: Chattanooga, TN
A lot of schools have done this, and not let them in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:21 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17808
Location: Chicago
FW wrote:
A lot of schools have done this, and not let them in.


No kidding, but more importantly no matter what a certain person asserts, no one passed over could sue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20013
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Actually they could sue, they just couldn't likely win. Although if they had already turned down another institution because of the incorrect knowledge, many people think they would have a good shot. Which is why schools react as quickly as they do when this happens.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17808
Location: Chicago
WaveProf wrote:
Actually they could sue, they just couldn't likely win. Although if they had already turned down another institution because of the incorrect knowledge, many people think they would have a good shot. Which is why schools react as quickly as they do when this happens.


You're truly a moron of epic proportion.

WaveProf wrote:
Roller, my understanding from what im hearing is that no way they let them in. My guess is the liability worries of everyone with better credentials who doesnt get in is >>>>> than the liability worries limited to these 130 (minus however many of them get in anyway)


That is the statement I have an issue wish. Just admit you're wrong and move on.

As to the post first post above: As I have repeatedly stated the kids admitted and rescinded have a much better cause of action than "everyone with better credentials who doesn't get in" you twat. (And they'd probably lose, but have a much better case)

Pro-tip: It's never detrimental reliance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:30 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 29722
Location: Way ahead of you
With all the intangibles that go into the selections, I don't see how anyone could be considered to have "better credentials" than anybody else, especially where small discriminators are involved in choosing candidate A over candidate B. One would think that anybody who claims that they should have been selected over the person who was "mistakenly" given their slot would find it impossible to prove, and look like a fool for trying (which in itself should be a non-selection discriminator).

And I still maintain that adding more students to the class because they were inadvertently "accepted" should not be a major problem. The student body is certainly large enough that a couple hundred additional people would not be an insurmountable burden.

And how about we dispense with the name-calling? It is, after all, against the rules of the Board, and is completely unsavory.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:47 am 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17416
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Roller wrote:
With all the intangibles that go into the selections, I don't see how anyone could be considered to have "better credentials" than anybody else, especially where small discriminators are involved in choosing candidate A over candidate B. One would think that anybody who claims that they should have been selected over the person who was "mistakenly" given their slot would find it impossible to prove, and look like a fool for trying (which in itself should be a non-selection discriminator).

And I still maintain that adding more students to the class because they were inadvertently "accepted" should not be a major problem. The student body is certainly large enough that a couple hundred additional people would not be an insurmountable burden.

And how about we dispense with the name-calling? It is, after all, against the rules of the Board, and is completely unsavory.

Agree, Roller, on your main musing and also the second point.

Up until a few years ago my wife was an admissions officer at Bryn Mawr College, her alma mater. It too has a fairly small admitted class and being one of the few undergraduate all women's colleges, had its own special challenges. She said they would get 10-20 applicants for any given slot. Eliminating the first 5,000 or so applicants was easy she said--winnowing the last 5,000 down to 1,500 or so was the hard part. Everyone has excellent grades and board scores. Everyone has glowing recommendations. Some have patents, have established non-profits, etc. Sometimes it comes down to: how have previous students from such and such high school fared previously; is she a legacy--both good and bad; are there too many or two few admitted from that state; had the applicant scattershot applications and should the school waste an admittance. BMC benefits also from on campus personal interviews, which are not the norm elsewhere. Applicants have gotten in or eliminated based on that interview. But honestly, she said that the final cut is so close that sometimes it's a toss up.

If those 130 students were in that final cut category I don't see a reason to then rescind admittance.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm
Posts: 10057
Location: Chicago
without knowing the composition of the students who mistakenly received the emails, it is hard to say. 130, is probably around 10% of the incoming class, (admittedly a guess) what if those students were the first cuts and they somehow ended up getting admitted? you could literally kill the USNWR metrics and undo all of the positive moves we have made.

sorry, you can't do that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:58 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3340
Location: Wichita
So I got an email from UNO this afternoon congratulating me on receiving a full scholarship (I haven't applied...)

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:26 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 29722
Location: Way ahead of you
gerryb323 wrote:
So I got an email from UNO this afternoon congratulating me on receiving a full scholarship (I haven't applied...)
Gratz! That's a really hard seat to get.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17808
Location: Chicago
gerryb323 wrote:
So I got an email from UNO this afternoon congratulating me on receiving a full scholarship (I haven't applied...)


How do they have your email?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group