Mussafer Hall

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Mussafer Hall

Post by TUPF »

GretnaGrn wrote:
AO Sig wrote:My medical specialty has two large organizations; the one based in the U.S, the other in Europe. The meetings are limited by their size and room requirements to where they go. All of the U.S. convention centers are, more or less, near the centers of the cities (although Boston and Chicago are not particularly nice locations compared to the rest of the city). In Europe the convention centers are miles away from the city centers- Rome's is closer to DaVinci than to the downtown, London and Paris are not within walking distance of anything.

My point is that in Europe they do all they can to preserve the past; in the U.S there are too many instances where the drive is for the newest, fanciest, etc. I am glad they are trying to preserve original buildings and their looks; that is what makes the campus distinct.

Thank goodness preservationists are in some areas; New Orleans and Charleston are two places that have prided themselves on this.
That was one of the strangest things about Moscow; they have truly ancient buildings literally next door to very modern ones, with a cold-war era monstrosity on the same block. Architectural cognitive dissonance.

Kiev was different; it was almost completely razed to the ground by the Nazis in World War II. Despite being significantly older than Moscow, it had almost no truly old buildings. It was honestly a bit strange to be somewhere you knew to be an extremely ancient city with almost totally modern buildings around you.
Creepier still is downtown Warsaw. Everyone knows the city was razed by the Nazis with the Warsaw ghetto literally reduced to rubble. Yet when you walk the downtown area it looks old until you realize that you are looking at a Potemkin village: facades made to look old but only built in the last few decades. The area where the actual Warsaw ghetto was is nothing but apartment buildings with one large modernish memorial to the siege in the middle of a field. That's where visiting groups remembering the Holocaust visit. My business hosts made a big deal of having lunch at a Polish Jewish restaurant almost as if saying "see, we are Ok now". Yet when you look at the actual Jewish population now living in Poland, it's minuscule compared to pre-WWII.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Warsaw is creepy for just the reasons TUPF suggests.

Krakova/Krakow, however, is one of my favorite cities in the world (be sure to eat the squeeky cheese and the lard on toast!)

Never been to Gdansk, but my friend from Warsaw swears its her favorite city.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

and all of those Minoan frescoes in Crete that you see in the Art books? Were all moved to museums. What you're looking at, on site, are some poor modern imitations. Oh and the "famous" medieval fortress walls/buildings you see in Rhodes? Those are stiff non-organic "restorations" done under Mussolini (when he was in charge).

now the Pantheon in Rome still takes your breath away, not only because its the only remaining Roman Empire era building still intact (not a ruin) but because who is buried there too.

my humble $0.02
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Good job, GB. I was so lucky going to high school in Italy where field trips were eye popping. Amongst all the cool things to see just in Rome, the Pantheon stands out. And yes, I've thrown my 100 lire pieces in the Trevi fountain...replaced now by Euro cents...so it must work since I keep returning.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GreenieBacker wrote:and all of those Minoan frescoes in Crete that you see in the Art books? Were all moved to museums. What you're looking at, on site, are some poor modern imitations. Oh and the "famous" medieval fortress walls/buildings you see in Rhodes? Those are stiff non-organic "restorations" done under Mussolini (when he was in charge).

now the Pantheon in Rome still takes your breath away, not only because its the only remaining Roman Empire era building still intact (not a ruin) but because who is buried there too.

my humble $0.02
The baths in Bath aren't a ruin.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count