Tulane MFIN Program

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
paleoboy
Crest Level

Tulane MFIN Program

Post by paleoboy »

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane MFIN Program

Post by ml wave »

I think my favorite part was when the guy was surprised that no one else appreciated his tattling.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

It kinda makes me sad that there are University academics who hate sports and think it's nothing but academic fraud and faux education, but then we do all those things in the Business School.

What the heck is "Poets & Quants" anyway?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:It kinda makes me sad that there are University academics who hate sports and think it's nothing but academic fraud and faux education, but then we do all those things in the Business School.

What the heck is "Poets & Quants" anyway?
I actually love having those discussions with sports haters. And I am equally tough on the jock types who never cracked a book.

I was valedictorian of a suburban Virginia class of 600; Phi Beta Kappa/Summa Cum Laude at Tulane; a Rickover nuke submariner doing Cold War fun; an executive at GE and Lockheed Martin. I hired engineer Ph.D.s and interacted with US and foreign governments at the flag/ambassador level. I was a four sport letterman in three different high schools in two countries. My sports pursuits were equally important to me as academics, even though my talent level meant nothing beyond high school.

Looking back, I was prepared as much if not more for my career by what I learned in sports. In football—sweating two-a-days in August paid dividends in November. Collective effort and team sacrifices means the sum is greater than the parts. In wrestling—heart usually beats talent alone—but only after countless hours on the mat. Track—pushing through the pain when all I wanted to do was quit. Baseball—learning to deal with mostly failure—no one bats above .400.

Sports prepared me for the collective psyche needed to be a successful Cold War submariner just as much as understanding my machinery and my weaponry. Collective hive thinking on how to do difficult things in difficult circumstances (think under the Arctic ice with adversaries about) were forged on the playing fields of my high school.

So when an academic-only rants about the the sports side of things I say “what have you done in your life which makes you sweat, allows you to succeed under extreme pressure, makes you work for a common goal, makes you get outside of your own head?”
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium