Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:53 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19446
Location: New Orleans
.............fossil fuels

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.s ... river_home

Ah, to be young and naive again...........

calling for more alternate fuels to be used on campus I would agree with. This is just dumb.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:10 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20014
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
I believe a relatively large (not massive) group of students led a sit in at Gibson for a few weeks (or something like that) a year or two ago about this issue. Was the talk of the campus. Took turns "taking over" the office. I don't remember the details. I believe, at the time, Fitts released a statement saying Tulane would continue to broaden its attempts to use alternative resources. It was all big talk on campus, but not widely covered, and not discussed here because it seemed political, so I'm having to base this off my memory.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:57 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 1844
This could be a great project for our students. Figure out how we can power the 25 million cars on the road, plus all the trucks, buses and airplanes without using fossil fuels. Then tell us how much electricity it takes to light, heat and cool all our buildings and how many solar plants, windmills and algae farms it will take to generate this much electricity...and where we could place all of those facilities, and how much they would cost and who would pay for them. This is a great project. Get to work, students!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:10 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19446
Location: New Orleans
that's actually a really good idea. I know you posted in somewhat in jest but it would actually put real world numbers on a pipedream.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 1844
No, I was serious. Until young people start using facts and knowledge to make decisions instead of bumper sticker slogans, we will have this kind of drivel to deal with. The president should challenge them to give him these numbers and facts before he makes any decisions about how we should invest our endowment. The Board does that anyway and I expect they have a fudiciary responsibility to the University to make the best decisions based on facts, not fancies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17814
Location: Chicago
They should take an economics class.
[Redacted]
And they should be spending their time doing something useful to society, like consuming alcohol, practicing procreation, and going to the game tonight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17417
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Nuclear.

I think college is actually the time to go stupid ideologue. You are a faux adult, with no worry of where your next meal is coming from, a roof over your head, minimal responsibility other than to drag your lazy @ss out of bed to class for a few times a week, a target rich environment for romps in the sack. You have plenty of time to suck on lemons later in life.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:30 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7439
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
There are tons of attributions of the following quote; one book of Quotations attributes the following to Benjamin Disraeli:

"A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head"

I have seen it with varying ages for the conservative; one listed the cross-over at age 25.

I wonder how many of the second year students know what the term "sophomore" means?

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:45 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20014
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
AO Sig wrote:
There are tons of attributions of the following quote; one book of Quotations attributes the following to Benjamin Disraeli:

"A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head"

I have seen it with varying ages for the conservative; one listed the cross-over at age 25.

I wonder how many of the second year students know what the term "sophomore" means?

I’ve always found that quote incredibly condescending to both conservatives and liberals.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:50 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7439
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
WaveProf wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
There are tons of attributions of the following quote; one book of Quotations attributes the following to Benjamin Disraeli:

"A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head"

I have seen it with varying ages for the conservative; one listed the cross-over at age 25.

I wonder how many of the second year students know what the term "sophomore" means?

I’ve always found that quote incredibly condescending to both conservatives and liberals.


Equal opportunity insult! :mrgreen:

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:12 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17814
Location: Chicago
TUPF wrote:
Nuclear.

I think college is actually the time to go stupid ideologue. You are a faux adult, with no worry of where your next meal is coming from, a roof over your head, minimal responsibility other than to drag your lazy @ss out of bed to class for a few times a week, a target rich environment for romps in the sack. You have plenty of time to suck on lemons later in life.


Says the Rickover acolyte.

These idiots hate nuclear. They hate wind. They hate solar. They hate bio. They hate geothermal. They are too stupid to realize we in fact nees electricity in the modern world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17814
Location: Chicago
WaveProf wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
There are tons of attributions of the following quote; one book of Quotations attributes the following to Benjamin Disraeli:

"A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head"

I have seen it with varying ages for the conservative; one listed the cross-over at age 25.

I wonder how many of the second year students know what the term "sophomore" means?

I’ve always found that quote incredibly condescending to both conservatives and liberals.


You would.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:15 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17417
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
The last thing any person who survived the Rickover baptism by fire wants to be called is an acolyte. More like an abused altar boy. 8)

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:20 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3259
Location: North Haven, CT
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Nuclear.

I think college is actually the time to go stupid ideologue. You are a faux adult, with no worry of where your next meal is coming from, a roof over your head, minimal responsibility other than to drag your lazy @ss out of bed to class for a few times a week, a target rich environment for romps in the sack. You have plenty of time to suck on lemons later in life.


Says the Rickover acolyte.

These idiots hate nuclear. They hate wind. They hate solar. They hate bio. They hate geothermal. They are too stupid to realize we in fact nees electricity in the modern world.


But god help them if they had to give up their phone! You know, because the phone is made from milk and honey and powered by clean air. You know, like that couple that claimed to live off of air and an occasional piece of fruit.

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:04 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7439
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
Sometimes the term sophomore refers to all four years of a student's college career, and then on into adulthood.

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:08 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3341
Location: Wichita
doncecco wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Nuclear.

I think college is actually the time to go stupid ideologue. You are a faux adult, with no worry of where your next meal is coming from, a roof over your head, minimal responsibility other than to drag your lazy @ss out of bed to class for a few times a week, a target rich environment for romps in the sack. You have plenty of time to suck on lemons later in life.


Says the Rickover acolyte.

These idiots hate nuclear. They hate wind. They hate solar. They hate bio. They hate geothermal. They are too stupid to realize we in fact nees electricity in the modern world.


But god help them if they had to give up their phone! You know, because the phone is made from milk and honey and powered by clean air. You know, like that couple that claimed to live off of air and an occasional piece of fruit.

Adam and Eve?

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:11 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3259
Location: North Haven, CT
http://nypost.com/2017/06/15/breatharian-couple-survives-on-the-universes-energy-instead-of-food/

I believe they have since been debunked.

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3175
Location: Marietta, GA
Cheerleader wrote:
This could be a great project for our students. Figure out how we can power the 25 million cars on the road, plus all the trucks, buses and airplanes without using fossil fuels. Then tell us how much electricity it takes to light, heat and cool all our buildings and how many solar plants, windmills and algae farms it will take to generate this much electricity...and where we could place all of those facilities, and how much they would cost and who would pay for them. This is a great project. Get to work, students!


Don't forget to include the energy to replace all of the plastic garbage bags, cups, inkjet printers and anything else plastic (including iPhones). Not to mention the fact that the main reason cars today get so high in gas mileage is due to the fact that plastic has largely replaced metal in cars to reduce weight, and reduced weight = less energy consumed = higher mileage per gallon of fuel. How does one get plastic? Why, fossil fuels, of course!

Morons.

https://youtu.be/mCbq46sb0sI

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:21 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:50 pm
Posts: 1201
Location: Seattle U.S.A.
GreenieBacker wrote:
.............fossil fuels

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.s ... river_home

Ah, to be young and naive again...........

calling for more alternate fuels to be used on campus I would agree with. This is just dumb.

Divestment campaigns never work. Which I guess is your point.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group