Fitts Calls Town Hall About Sexual Assault 1/31

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Fitts Calls Town Hall About Sexual Assault 1/31

Post by WaveProf »

This is a reaction to a sex assault survey at TU the results of which are scheduled to soon be released.

Let’s just say there’s been a LOT of buzz/rumor about these survey results around campus for a while. I know nothing. And it’s probably in the best interest of the university if none of us speculate about the results of the survey (and subsequent study) until TU releases them. Will be interesting one way or the other.

http://president.tulane.edu/view-from-g ... -town-hall
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Fitts Calls Town Hall About Sexual Assault 1/31

Post by WaveProf »

The numbers are high, but quite honestly lower than the buzz on campus (and 6 month delay on releasing the data) suggested.

From the TP:

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... short_home
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I read the first 20 pages or so of the report, enough to see top line results. Almost a 50% response rate is stunning. My wife just retired from market research and she says anything above 25% response rate is almost unheard of.

If the problems reported are even close to reality, this is huge. Maybe or maybe not similar elsewhere, I don’t know.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Alcohol probably the biggest factor here. Drinking responsibly is an art form few young people learn until later in life.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

In a list of headlines "that might interest me" in Chrome, I noticed a headline with "Tulane" in it. Turns out our story went national, at least on this one blog...

http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/05/blame ... iversi/amp
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

The nationwide drinking age law is, in large measure, a part of the problem. Back when the drinking age in Louisiana (and New York City) was 18, college kids were not so apt to get stinking drunk at every opportunity. They tended to drink in public, where there were more curbs on their behavior. Nowadays, it seems that kids tend to drink behind closed doors, and they are not experienced enough to handle it on their own without authority figures around to guide them.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:The nationwide drinking age law is, in large measure, a part of the problem. Back when the drinking age in Louisiana (and New York City) was 18, college kids were not so apt to get stinking drunk at every opportunity. They tended to drink in public, where there were more curbs on their behavior. Nowadays, it seems that kids tend to drink behind closed doors, and they are not experienced enough to handle it on their own without authority figures around to guide them.
I agree with your synopsis, Roller. We were more responsible drinkers when we weren’t sneaking around (with the notable exception of LASA free tequila night in the Rat). I went to high school in Italy and had alcohol legally in social settings from my teen years onward. No incentive to get unconscious drunk. In fact, I don’t ever think I saw drunk Italians (in Italy).

Combine booze with the naïveté of young college life and lowered inhibitions and it’s ripe for abuse. If I was the parent of a young man or woman going to college soon, there would be multiple training sessions with Dad.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Troy Dannen had Brenda Tracey in to talk to all Tulane athletes who weren't participating in a sport that played yesterday. She has multiple tweets about it as does TD

https://twitter.com/TulaneAthletics/sta ... 3181339648