Anyone remember this?

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Anyone remember this?

Post by OGSB »

Bachman enrolled at Tulane University in the fall of 1975, but his time there was rocky and brief, ruptured by a horrific incident in January at the Sigma Chi house, just off campus. Although Bachman was not a member of the frat, he told Friedman he’d been hanging around the house with a friend from Elkins Park, a boy a year older named Ken Gutzeit. Suddenly, a man had appeared with a knife and slashed Gutzeit’s throat. “The word Jamison used was beheaded,” Friedman told me. According to news reports, Gutzeit was killed by a 25-year-old student librarian named Randell Vidrine. The two were said to have been feuding since the previous fall, after Vidrine called campus police on Gutzeit for eating a cheese sandwich among the stacks. (“I know it sounds incredible, but from what we understand they never argued about anything else,” a police spokesperson told a reporter at the time. “It was always about the sandwich.”) Gutzeit stumbled onto the frat-house steps and bled to death, surrounded by Bachman and some two dozen other witnesses. (A grand jury declined to indict Vidrine.)
Worst Roommate Ever
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Anyone remember this?

Post by PeteRasche »

Well, um, thanks for creeping me out this afternoon...

Surprised that story hasn't been made into a movie. Although it feels like a lot of it is in a lot of movies already.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I was at Tulane from 1974-1976 before I left for JYA and I don’t remember it at all. I must have been in a cocoon.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I pledged Sigma Chi the fall after that happened. There was little said about it to us as freshmen; however, I did hear some stories about the situation.

Gutzeit might have been doing things that could have been tormenting the other guy, according to one account; the other guy was a student worker at the library, and KG did stuff at times because he knew it would bother the guy, who was a "stick to the rules" kind of chap. One day the guy came to the chapter house, called Ken out. pulled out a knife and slashed him. He bled to death before anything could be done. I do not have any more, do not know much more about. I recall that the guy might have had some local ties and pull, which led to the lack of any charges.

It happened on the porch on the front of the fraternity house on Broadway.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?