New dean

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
paleoboy
Crest Level

New dean

Post by paleoboy »

Tulane has a new dean for the School of Science and Engineering.
https://news.tulane.edu/pr/kimberly-fos ... ngineering
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: New dean

Post by doncecco »

Thank goodness, some fresh blood. Maybe we can get our Engineering School back.
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I think it's interesting that a Mechanical Engineer is "a perfect fit" to be Dean, when we don't have Mechanical Engineering and have been told by millennials (who have the world figured out much better than their elders) that it's an archaic and dead major.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote:I think it's interesting that a Mechanical Engineer is "a perfect fit" to be Dean, when we don't have Mechanical Engineering and have been told by millennials (who have the world figured out much better than their elders) that it's an archaic and dead major.
Looks like she has a biomedical background.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

PeteRasche wrote:I think it's interesting that a Mechanical Engineer is "a perfect fit" to be Dean, when we don't have Mechanical Engineering and have been told by millennials (who have the world figured out much better than their elders) that it's an archaic and dead major.
It's apparently so archaic, Pete, that a biomedical engineer can even teach it. :roll:

Of course it's archaic, nothing ever moves or needs to not move anymore....
Bring home da Wave!
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

doncecco wrote:
It's apparently so archaic, Pete, that a biomedical engineer can even teach it. :roll:

Well, duct tape and WD40 have already been invented, so.....
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

GretnaGrn wrote:
doncecco wrote:

So true! As we learned at Boy Scout summer camp- Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is silver!
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

AO Sig wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
doncecco wrote:

So true! As we learned at Boy Scout summer camp- Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is silver!
I can personally attest that duct tape (we had green tape from the shipbuilder, Electric Boat, called “EB Green”... but it was duct tape) is good to deep ocean depths on a nuclear submarine.

Once while we were radiating on our retractable radar while surfaced, the bridge watchstander noticed that the glass lens on the radar face was delaminating. It’s not something you can glue at sea, at least not with anything we had aboard, and a clamp would have prevented it from properly retracting into the submarine’s sail, which is vital for quietness and laminar flow. So we EB Greened/ duct taped it. Now, sea pressure increases by 44psi for every 100 feet deeper you go, so at the depths we operate there was going to be a LOT of pressure on that duct tape repair. We didn’t expect to see that lens again but sure enough it was still there the next time we surfaced.

From then on, the byword was: “EB Green, good to test depth.”
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium