Hullabaloo Article Complaining About No Commencement Speaker

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Hullabaloo Article Complaining About No Commencement Speaker

Post by gerryb323 »

https://tulanehullabaloo.com/40480/arca ... t-speaker/

Holy F#ck! Kids these days. This is the most self important, stuck up, asinine thing I have read in a while!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Re: Hullabaloo Article Complaining About No Commencement Spe

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Probably some ok athletes? Probably some ok athletes????????? Author was trying to be cute with informal tone and I get that, but it's hard to not roll my eyes a full revolution at that one.

I had to leave a comment on that. It smacks of our culture problem, and I'm not even one of those probably ok athletes who just had their entire careers diminished and belittled by a throwaway line.
Last edited by 1309th WAVE on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Add to that, I can think of a number that, if chosen, would have been heavily protested by some because their politics were not "appropriate."
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

One possible reason the speaker has not yet been announced: I have not yet notified Tulane of my acceptance.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

frick pathetic spoiled brats are going to get their teeth kicked in by the real world
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

AO Sig wrote:Add to that, I can think of a number that, if chosen, would have been heavily protested by some because their politics were not "appropriate."
I can think of someone who fits this criteria: "that it be someone amazingly wonderful and hilarious and famous." Now this snowflake would probably melt down but the criteria would be met
#cousins don't count
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Go find Andy Kaufmann. We all know he's not actually dead. Tulane kids would DEFINITELY get and appreciate the female wrestling champion bit.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I don’t know...channeling windy, I think the entire article was intended to be in pink.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote:I don’t know...channeling windy, I think the entire article was intended to be in pink.
You know I did consider that, but sadly I think it's entirely serious
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

TUPF wrote:I don’t know...channeling windy, I think the entire article was intended to be in pink.
Yes. Maybe so. Do I know enough people who are like this to make it plausible that it isn’t in pink? Also yes. Poe’s Law stays undefeated.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
You know I did consider that, but sadly I think it's entirely serious
I'd prefer if it wasn't, otherwise I feel my alma mater has resuces its standards for education
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Everyone in the social media world in which we live needs something to b**ch about. If we named a speaker, everyone would complain about who it was. The speaker would be either not popular enough, not important enough, or too politically divisive. So we don't name one and they complain we didn't.

You can't win.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Regardless, the speakers all say essentially the same thing every year: "You are the future."

Unfortunately, they leave off: "provided you survive the present", and they also neglect to mention "Remember, you will have to live in the future you construct."
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:Regardless, the speakers all say essentially the same thing every year: "You are the future."

Unfortunately, they leave off: "provided you survive the present", and they also neglect to mention "Remember, you will have to live in the future you construct."
Under the crushing debt and deterioration that my generation and created through mismanagement and malfeasance.
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:Add to that, I can think of a number that, if chosen, would have been heavily protested by some because their politics were not "appropriate."
I can think of someone who fits this criteria: "that it be someone amazingly wonderful and hilarious and famous." Now this snowflake would probably melt down but the criteria would be met
Wait, I can't keep up...the urine color is for when we talk about politics?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
It's orange, which means you are probably dehydrated if you associate that with urine
#cousins don't count
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

https://www.loyolamaroon.com/10017404/s ... llaballoo/

:lol: our next door neighbors are much better at this. Is it because they actually have a journo major, who's to say
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

1309th WAVE wrote:https://www.loyolamaroon.com/10017404/s ... llaballoo/

:lol: our next door neighbors are much better at this. Is it because they actually have a journo major, who's to say
Well executed
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I read it as 100% satire. But I've been wrong before.

BTW, they didn't mention my year, 2012, when the announcement was similarly late. Everyone was convinced that the mystery was due to it being a big political name and that security dictated a late announcement. We ended up with Lisa Jackson (EPA head under Obama) which fueled the rumors that whoever the big fish was had canceled last minute. Jackson was already the commencement speaker for the separate SPHTM ceremony so she was just slotted in once the jilting occurred. She did fine and nobody who mattered cared.

That said, in December of 2011 I tried to start a rumor that the commencement speaker was Bon Jovi in the hopes that Gibson Hall might pick up the vibes and make it so. That would've been better than any other commencement speaker at Tulane, but alas it was not to be.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

There must be a list of Tulane commencement speakers somewhere because I sure don’t remember mine (A&S 1978). I get a kick out of those who get their skivvies in a wad over whomever is the speaker, especially a few years ago when one of our YOGWF members quit in a huff when the dialogue was not to his liking over that year’s speaker.

I only remember ONE speaker in my three years on campus (JYA) and it wasn’t for commencement: then President Gerald Ford in Fogleman announcing no further intervention in the VietNam War in 1975. Fogleman was not yet air conditioned then and temporary cooling was installed. Ford’s speech made national news and my folks saw me on TV that night.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
It's orange, which means you are probably dehydrated if you associate that with urine
Orange? That's so gold it's showering...
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I read it as 100% satire.
Then it was poorly executed.
#cousins don't count
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

windywave wrote:
No. Blagoyavich had his parole denied... :mrgreen:
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I don’t know how much stock to put into it but there is a widespread rumor on campus that the reason for the delay was.....

We had a big-name speaker lined up but not yet announced who then proceeded to get invited to the royal wedding. Supposedly that speaker is coming next year for reduced fare as part of the compromise.

Sounds like the kind of thing a student with make up, but I keep hearing it from multiple places. Meanwhile the royal wedding is the same day
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

WaveProf wrote:I don’t know how much stock to put into it but there is a widespread rumor on campus that the reason for the delay was.....

We had a big-name speaker lined up but not yet announced who then proceeded to get invited to the royal wedding. Supposedly that speaker is coming next year for reduced fare as part of the compromise.

Sounds like the kind of thing a student with make up, but I keep hearing it from multiple places. Meanwhile the royal wedding is the same day
So Prince Harry will be the speaker for the Class of 2019? :-D