President Fitts extended to 2023

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

President Fitts extended to 2023

Post by TUPF »

Dear Tulane Community:

On behalf of the Board of Administrators of Tulane University, I am pleased to announce that we have completed a new contractual agreement with President Mike Fitts that will run through the academic year ending June 30, 2023. Mike’s ability to build on the strong foundation and legacy of Tulane’s success post-Katrina have become apparent to all of us. These past few years that Mike has served as President of Tulane University have been nothing short of transformative. Our national rankings have risen dramatically during this period. Each year our incoming classes have broken records in terms of their academic achievements and their level of civic engagement. The diversity of our incoming classes has also increased substantially as Tulane is attracting top students from all backgrounds.

We have shattered annual fundraising records and launched “Only the Audacious,” the university’s most ambitious quest to endow and secure the future of pioneering research; to recruit and retain the world’s best faculty; to increase scholarships and financial aid to attract the best students from across the globe; and to build on the strategy to create a learning experience powered by innovation, first-hand experience and community service.

Tulane has grown physically under Mike’s leadership, as well, with major building projects such as the expansion of the business school, the transformation of Mussafer Hall, the construction of The Commons, the building of new residence halls and much, much more.

Mike will be the first to tell you that these are not his accomplishments alone but are the product of Tulane’s dedicated faculty and staff, and the amazing leadership team he has recruited and overseen. This includes, in the past three months alone, four new deans, all of whom are nationally and internationally recognized leaders in their fields. These academic leaders join other stellar appointments among faculty, administrators and board members. Like each of you, these leaders are dedicated to the Tulane of tomorrow.

For these and other numerous accomplishments, I am proud of The Board taking early action in securing Mike’s long-term commitment to Tulane. It is a clear testament to how highly we regard, appreciate and value his leadership. Join me in congratulating President Fitts and thanking him for his continued leadership and love of Tulane University.

Doug Hertz
Board of Tulane Chair

TULANE UNIVERSITY ALUMNI RELATIONS

6319 Willow St. • New Orleans, LA 70118
alumni@tulane.edu • alumni.tulane.edu

If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: President Fitts extended to 2023

Post by ml wave »

A little too hagiographic for my tastes...
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

ml wave wrote:A little too hagiographic for my tastes...
I get it, but what's he supposed to say - "we extended him to 5 years out, because he's doing okay?"
Bring home da Wave!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

:lol:
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

wait till they announce the Fitts Institute.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Yankeewave wrote:
if it's a drinking establishment I'm for it ...
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Meh; these things always are, and it's milder than the choir spreading rose petals for his predecessor. At least Fitts has been doing a good job so far.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

sr wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:
if it's a drinking establishment I'm for it ...
Lol
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I must admit that my first impression of Fitts was wrong. My wife and I spent about 20 minutes one-on-one with him in the Tulane tent at Rutgers before it filled up, about 2 weeks after he became president. We had a lot to talk about initially because of the Philly connection but he came off as kind of a schlub. I was used to polished guys like Sheldon Hackney or Navy admirals. Glib, he was not.

Just goes to show you the proof is in what you do, not what you say.