TU Team Makes Archeological Discovery

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

TU Team Makes Archeological Discovery

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: TU Team Makes Archeological Discovery

Post by windywave »

Did they find the mummy that was under the stadium? Was it before or after practice?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

windywave wrote:Did they find the mummy that was under the stadium? Was it before or after practice?
No they found RD's tie
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

This shows me that my education growing up was lacking. As far as my grade school, middle school, and high school educators were concerned history began with Egyptian pharaohs, a brief interlude in some nebulous place called the Holy Land, the world went dark for a thousand years, nice paintings and Galileo, Rule Britannia, the American Revolution, FDR then WWII. At which point history ended because that’s when the old textbooks did.

Had any of you old guys even heard about Asia before the Great White Fleet dropped anchor, because I sure didn’t. Forget Central or South America or India or African civilizations. They didn’t exist.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

playing Devil's Advocate :-D

my schooling was much like yours the curriculum concentrated on "Western Civilization and Culture". On the other hand my kids spent more time on Islamic History and Culture than they did on the Enlightenment. I would argue that for a citizen of the West, the Enlightenment is more important. After you get a solid foundation on Western values then the rest comes in handy.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

GB-- I'm always torn on this for just those reasons. When I have to teach the philosophical differences between The Enlightenment, Romanticism, Realism, Modernism, and Postmodernism, I don't always expect my students to know the terms, but it's getting to be where they don't even know the historical and cultural examples I try to give them to explain the terms. They know next to nothing about Western Civ, because by trying to do global, their is simply too much too adequately teach them in 2 semesters of high school world history. But I'm also with TUPF, the reason we've moved for more inclusivity in how we approach world history is because world history used to mean "western" history, and I don't want to go back to those days either. It's a tough situation to answer. My answer would be to devote 2-3 years to world history instead of 1. But our education system is never going to trend that way in my lifetime....
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

prof, like you I'm not blind to the bind we pt our teachers in. But how can you understand our form of government and the factors that influenced our Founding Fathers if you never were taught the Enlightenment?

On the other hand how do you ever understand the conflicts in the Middle East if you don't know the history and religious differences between Shiite and Sunnis?

a conundrum for sure :-D
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Wow, a discussion around a topic with no fireworks. There’s hope for us yet. :lol:

Looking back on it I would have liked earlier history of the world type subjects, perhaps in high school, which would have at least be a survey of other world civilizations, their rise and fall. If nothing else it would have taught me in my more formative years regarding why and how they were successful and why they failed or morphed into something else.

When I visited the Temple of the Sun and Moon near Mexico City I was blown away just as much by the scope as I was by my cluelessness about the civilization that built something rivaling the Pyramids. Same goes for the Forbidden City in Beijing. About the closest I got to the history of Asian civilizations growing up was watching some bad black and white movie about Genghis Khan and the Golden Horde. Forget India. Still don’t know much.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GreenieBacker wrote:prof, like you I'm not blind to the bind we pt our teachers in. But how can you understand our form of government and the factors that influenced our Founding Fathers if you never were taught the Enlightenment?

On the other hand how do you ever understand the conflicts in the Middle East if you don't know the history and religious differences between Shiite and Sunnis?

Waste less time on nonsense? Encourage reading? Have parents be involved?
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:prof, like you I'm not blind to the bind we pt our teachers in. But how can you understand our form of government and the factors that influenced our Founding Fathers if you never were taught the Enlightenment?

Sadly if you have too young, uneducated parents such as I had, it’s generally not in the cards. Through luck and perseverance you fight forward if you have an inner light but otherwise the cycle repeats. There is a reason why if by accident of birth you are lucky enough to grow up in an educated household that success begets success. Unless of course your parents went to LSU. :wink:
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Other than getting parents more involved, and in the fancy schools my kids went to the parents were VERY involved maybe too much so, reading seems like quaint old geezer tradition like playing horseshoes and I’ll argue kids today have very many more distractions than we did.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Sadly if you have too young, uneducated parents such as I had, it’s generally not in the cards. Through luck and perseverance you fight forward if you have an inner light but otherwise the cycle repeats. There is a reason why if by accident of birth you are lucky enough to grow up in an educated household that success begets success. Unless of course your parents went to LSU. :wink:
How do you define uneducated and why is education a requirement for parental involvement and encouraging reading?
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

When I see the extent of "forgotten" information that people were taught in High School, I wonder how much additional information can be retained by the average Human brain. Only a very small portion of people maintain an education broader than the subjects nearest to their lives. Trying to pack more in only works for those few who end up on "Jeopardy."
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

How do you define uneducated and why is education a requirement for parental involvement and encouraging reading?
My definition of uneducated is someone who does not see the value of education no matter what form it may take and in many cases views it as a threat. Education is NOT a requirement for parental involvement and encouraging reading. Good parents get involved in hopes that their children will have a better life than they did with less agony. Poor, and I don’t mean monetarily, parents do not.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Someone should have already thought of getting the parents involved. Seems like a good solution imo.