George H.W Bush dies

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

George H.W Bush dies

Unread post by AO Sig »

Oldest president has passed away. Son Neil was at Tulane at the same time as TUPF and I. He spoke at Tulane in the 1970’s before president. Nominated for president at convention in NOLA, after family dinner at Arnaud’s.

RIP
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: George H.W Bush dies

Unread post by TUPF »

During the summer of 1976 when I was on a midshipman training cruise on a boomer out of Charleston a bunch of us middies were polled by the CO who we thought would become president someday. Ford was still president at the time and Jimmy Carter was making a run for the Democratic nomination. For whatever reason I said George HW Bush. Remember that at the time he was a former ambassador to China and current Director of the CIA and it would be a long time before he ran for president. Maybe it was because we knew about his son at Tulane but I had never personally met Neil.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Neil was in Business School - '76 ->'78. We both played intramural basketball for B-School back then. Good guy. Liked Fat Harry's.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

H.W. trained up here at Glenview Naval Air Station. lived a pretty impressive life when you stop to think about it. for awhile, the Light Carrier he flew off of was on the Mississippi in NOLA.

statistically speaking, i cannot imagine too many pilots shot down in the south pacific were rescued. lucky man in many respects
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Fellow submariners named HW an honorary bubblehead because when he was shot down in the South Pacific he was rescued in September 1944 by one of our boats. He spent ~30 days on USS Finback SS-230 after being rescued. As related by a submariner who was there, Bush and other rescued pilots joined in the day to day operations of the boat and stood watches.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ZYv2TFn ... e=youtu.be

Rest your oars, sailor. We have the watch.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium