Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Class of 2023
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

Just over 1800 freshmen; average SAT 1463; 41,000 applications with 13% acceptance and 35% yield (29% last year). Most students from California, New York, Louisiana.

Post subject: Re: Class of 2023
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:49 pm 
Navigator Level

My daughter is one of those 1800 freshmen.

My only requirement for her was that she look at Tulane, since I had such a good experience. I did not make her apply. Her trip to the admitted students weekend on March 31-April 1 went very well for her, and sealed the deal.

Now I need to work on her and her new friends to go to some football games.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

Private Joker wrote:

My only requirement for her was that she look at Tulane, since I had such a good experience. I did not make her apply. Her trip to the admitted students weekend on March 31-April 1 went very well for her, and sealed the deal.

Congrats, Dad.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:22 pm 
Navigator Level

sr wrote:
Private Joker wrote:

Congrats, Dad.

Thanks. Hopefully she will witness four years of winning football.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

Private Joker wrote:

Congratulations, Joker. My Tulane classmate/best friend’s daughter is finishing up her freshman year at Tulane and LOVES everything about it. They are from Chicago. She has managed to take in everything we all know and get excellent grades besides. We were there last fall for our 40th combined with his parents’ weekend.

My daughter told me had she not gone the music conservatory route she would have gone to Tulane. Her performance last year in Dixon Hall completed the circle. She loves New Orleans.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:41 pm 
Navigator Level

TUPF wrote:
Private Joker wrote:

Congratulations, Joker. My Tulane classmate/best friend’s daughter is finishing up her freshman year at Tulane and LOVES everything about it. They are from Chicago. She has managed to take in everything we all know and get excellent grades besides. We were there last fall for our 40th combined with his parents’ weekend.

My daughter told me had she not gone the music conservatory route she would have gone to Tulane. Her performance last year in Dixon Hall completed the circle. She loves New Orleans.

Very cool, and thanks for getting this string started. Your original post reminded me that there are lots of kids from out-of-state. When discussing football it has often been said that not enough Louisiana students is not good for the fan base. That certainly makes some sense, but at the same time I have to think that a lot of expat students is good for the university's overall national reputation and good for the city of New Orleans. New faces bring churn, and churn is good for economies.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:30 pm 
Regent's Circle

Private Joker wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Private Joker wrote:

Very cool, and thanks for getting this string started. Your original post reminded me that there are lots of kids from out-of-state. When discussing football it has often been said that not enough Louisiana students is not good for the fan base. That certainly makes some sense, but at the same time I have to think that a lot of expat students is good for the university's overall national reputation and good for the city of New Orleans. New faces bring churn, and churn is good for economies.

Looking back regarding my kids, I certaintly exposed them to Tulane at an early age wanting one of them to attend. Living north of Houston, Tulane was playing Rice in all sports back then and I took them to all events - had my own tailgates rain or shine. Basketball, baseball, football and then road trips to New Orleans at Spring Break to watch baseball in freezing temps. I even had my son meet Tommy B before the '98 Homecoming game where Tommy took him aside and talked to him one on one. Took him to Tulane first hosting of their Regional. Well, when it came time to apply, he wanted a smaller private school (<3000) and received the President's Scholarship. No complaints here. My daughter wanted to stay in Texas with her friends. No regrets, but a little sad. My sister is an Alum and wished we could continue the legacy. Roll Wave.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 am 
Navigator Level

My daughter will be third generation Tulane. First my Dad (undergrad '48, med school '51), then me (undergrad '86). Not to mention her Uncle GSx (undergrad '79, MBA '80). That is a cool thing, something she may come to appreciate.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:52 am 
Regent's Circle

Private Joker wrote:
My daughter will be third generation Tulane. First my Dad (undergrad '48, med school '51), then me (undergrad '86). Not to mention her Uncle GSx (undergrad '79, MBA '80). That is a cool thing, something she may come to appreciate.

That is a very cool thing. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 am 
Emerald Circle

my wife and I both went to Tulane, her sister and brother-in-law both went to Tulane her uncle went to Med School at Tulane. As much as I tried exposing my kids to Tulane, neither ended up going there. For my Son his major was not offered and my best chance, my daughter who went to every sporting event I asked her to go to (football, basketball and baseball) and who even went to games on her own with her friends while in high school............decided she wanted to navigate her own path and experience going away to college. Where she is very happy, BTW.

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:57 am 
Navigator Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
my wife and I both went to Tulane, her sister and brother-in-law both went to Tulane her uncle went to Med School at Tulane. As much as I tried exposing my kids to Tulane, neither ended up going there. For my Son his major was not offered and my best chance, my daughter who went to every sporting event I asked her to go to (football, basketball and baseball) and who even went to games on her own with her friends while in high school............decided she wanted to navigate her own path and experience going away to college. Where she is very happy, BTW.

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

There's a lot of nice schools out there. Where did your daughter end up?

For me, growing up in Lafayette, Tulane was kind of this mythical place. I only remember actually going on the campus once as a kid, to the Tulane-North Carolina football game in 1974(?). The next time was for GSx's graduation in '79 or '80. But Tulane was always big in my imagination.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:59 am 
President's Circle

Congrats Joker!!!