Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:08 pm 
Emerald Circle

https://news.tulane.edu/news/students-e ... mons-opens

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

Also:

TU President welcomes students to The Commons with music, more

https://news.tulane.edu/pr/tulane-presi ... c-and-more

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 am 
Emerald Circle

Tulane unveils new $55 million dining hall, its biggest project since Yulman Stadium

https://www.nola.com/news/education/art ... da944.html

The new building can seat about 1,200 students — more than twice the capacity at Bruff Commons — and with that expanded space come more culinary offerings.

article also states that Fitts received a 5 year extension

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:17 am 
Emerald Circle

So did they also move the food out of LBC (since it's attached to The Commons), thus giving that space back to the LBC for other purposes? Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:24 pm 
Breaker Level

Here’s Coach Fritz checking it out:

https://twitter.com/greenwavefb/status/ ... 35104?s=21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:35 pm 
Emerald Circle

Lbc food court remains unchanged. All of the chain locations have to be easily accessed by the community. Not in a student only good hall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Lbc food court remains unchanged. All of the chain locations have to be easily accessed by the community. Not in a student only good hall

So does this mean old alumni like me cannot access the new space?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:37 pm 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

So does this mean old alumni like me cannot access the new space?

Don't think your old student ID will work anymore?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:02 pm 
Emerald Circle

I doubt there will be a gated entry keeping you out. But there won't be anything inside of it to encourage a non student/faculty to come in. It will be thought of as less of a public space compared to, say, the LBC bookstore/food court.

It's possible the food hall portion will be gated off, but I doubt even that

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:22 pm 
Coach Level

Watching the Fritz video, I was struck by the fact that no one even looked at him, much less recognized him. I guess that shows vividly the student apathy towards football and their general unfriendliness to strangers. I would have expected at least one person to say hello or even smile.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

Cheerleader wrote:
Watching the Fritz video, I was struck by the fact that no one even looked at him, much less recognized him. I guess that shows vividly the student apathy towards football and their general unfriendliness to strangers. I would have expected at least one person to say hello or even smile.
It's probably been that way for a long time. It was in my day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:19 pm 
Emerald Circle

Cheerleader wrote:

I wouldn’t make that leap. We are looking at it now through grizzled old eyes. Heck, I wouldn’t have recognized Bennie Ellender or Larry Smith if they ran me over with a car on McAlister Drive in those days, and I went to EVERY game. The first time I met President Sheldon Hackney was when he handed me an award during an NROTC award ceremony. I couldn’t have picked any of them out of a crowd in my late teens/early twenties because like we all were during that time in our lives, to us they were just old guys on campus.

I respectfully think you are reaching here to support an ongoing narrative. Are our students less rabid fans than State University fans? Probably. It’s week one—kids are self absorbed and especially the freshmen can’t find their @ss from their elbows. Seeing some old guy bounding up some steps being filmed isn’t anyone but the most self-assured are going to walk up and interrupt. Heck, I doubt I’d do that either, and I’m a pretty gregarious old guy. I did it with Joe Montana in that Superdome Homecoming game against North Texas. The only old guys I stick my hand in to shake hands with are even older guys wearing WWII/Korea/Vietnam veteran hats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

Probably a fair assessment, but in my day I knew the coaches because I was an athlete myself. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

Spot on TUPF

Also factor in how anxiousmany of today’s students are about talking to anyone in person or on phone. I have former students who tweet at me multiple times a week, have sent me emails about being their fav teacher etc, and yet barely give me a nod hello when I see them around town in person. .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:33 pm 
Coach Level

I guess TUPF and WaveProf are right, but the fact that no one even looked at him was strange. Maybe I have lived in the South too long, where we are much friendlier with strangers. Heck, people even wave at me whom I see walking or in their golf cart and I have no clue who they are. I wasn't meaning that the students didn't like football, it was just that any friendly looking guy with a camera behind him wouldn't even attract a glance that struck me as odd. I purposely watched it three times and I only saw one person even glance his way for an instant. All the others were like people on the streets of New York, where you try to stay anonymous and not make eye contact. I just think that is a sad commentary on our society and I am sad about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

the streets of NY you say? Well considering the makeup of our student body, that's probably a pretty apt example, and probably at play here.

That said, I'll have to say, being an amiable southern guy who likes to make small talk with strangers everywhere I go, I used to be off put by NYC too. But living there for 2 years, I found them to be some of the nicest, most polite people of anywhere I've lived, its just a VERY different code of how you interact than I was used to in the south

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:28 am 
Emerald Circle

Ive found new yorkers to be very nice. Taken aback at first if you engage them but perfectly nice after

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 am 
Coach Level

I didn't mean to denigrate NYers. I rarely go there and don't have first hand knowledge. I have just been told that people walking down the street there and in other big cities don't look at you, but just stare straight ahead or straight down at their phones. I know that a nicely dressed guy in a Tulane shirt with a camera person following him shouldn't be able to walk through a Tulane dining hall with no one even looking, much less smiling at him. I didn't expect waves or comments or autograph seekers, but I did expect someone to at least look at him. Maybe it is just my personality or my upbringing, but I look at and smile at people I don't know all the time. Maybe I expect too much out of today's students. Someone should start a movement on campus to smile at a stranger today. It doesn't cost anything and makes your day better, especially when they smile back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:04 am 
Emerald Circle

I remember seeing Bennie Ellender walking through the campus (by himself, no entourage) and we all recognized him and waved hello. Different era perhaps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:25 am 
Coach Level

As I said in another topic, the Administration's three day welcoming to the freshmen didn't include any athletic introductions at all that I could see. Why didn't they at least introduce the football, basketball and other coaches to the incoming freshmen? It wouldn't have taken five minutes. No wonder the student body doesn't know who they are. It just doesn't compute with me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

Cheerleader wrote:
As I said in another topic, the Administration's three day welcoming to the freshmen didn't include any athletic introductions at all that I could see. Why didn't they at least introduce the football, basketball and other coaches to the incoming freshmen? It wouldn't have taken five minutes. No wonder the student body doesn't know who they are. It just doesn't compute with me.

On that, we are in violent agreement. But then, it wasn’t done when I was a freshman in August 1974 either!