Partying May Lead to Expulsion

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Partying May Lead to Expulsion

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Tulane students partying amid coronavirus is 'shameful,' could result in expulsion, dean says
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... 1f48e.html
"Do not host parties or gatherings with more than 15 people, including the host," Tulane Dean of Students Erica Woodley wrote in all capital letters in a mass email. "If you do, you will face suspension or expulsion from the university."
According to the email, students living in New Orleans hosted large gatherings without masks or social distancing over the holiday weekend and then posted about them on social media. The gatherings drew attention from neighbors.
Also here: https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nc ... c195f5f0f7

This doesn't bode well for the fall.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Partying May Lead to Expulsion

Post by PeteRasche »

If - IF - students actually are back on campus this fall and attempting to do some version of in-person college, this will become a very hot button news topic. It's already been seen that many (most?) college-age people don't give a F about masking, distancing, etc. All the old folks are gonna play dumb, like "we had no idea they'd ignore our rules, we really thought they were in college for the learning, they need to show responsibility" and all that. It's so obvious that you could almost write the stories now and have them ready to go.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:56 am If - IF - students actually are back on campus this fall and attempting to do some version of in-person college, this will become a very hot button news topic. It's already been seen that many (most?) college-age people don't give a F about masking, distancing, etc. All the old folks are gonna play dumb, like "we had no idea they'd ignore our rules, we really thought they were in college for the learning, they need to show responsibility" and all that. It's so obvious that you could almost write the stories now and have them ready to go.
It has been pretty well established by neuroscience that the human brain does not really recognize danger until at least the early to mid twenties. That’s why when most of us look back at the stupid shit we did in high school and college with wonder and awe. It’s also why the military loves first term military kids, ages 18-22—they don’t know you aren’t supposed to charge the machine gun nest, submerge in submarines, drag fuel hoses around active carrier flight decks, attach bombs on undersides of aircraft, handle nuclear weapons.

The kids will return to colleges, the kids will spread the coronavirus around, the kids will honestly claim they didn’t realize what could happen even though every bit of science will have told them what will happen. This will be messy for sure and until we have a widely distributed vaccine with high efficacy, lather rinse repeat. Maybe we just tell the kids to stay at college and don’t bring that stuff home for a year at least.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:32 amThe kids will return to colleges, the kids will spread the coronavirus around, the kids will honestly claim they didn’t realize what could happen even though every bit of science will have told them what will happen. This will be messy for sure and until we have a widely distributed vaccine with high efficacy, lather rinse repeat. Maybe we just tell the kids to stay at college and don’t bring that stuff home for a year at least.
The other problem thrown into the mix is helicopter parents who will have their lawyers on speed dial. Think about that one for a second. :shock: Little Susie goes off to college as a "good and responsible" kid who will wear her mask like she's instructed but on day one she's exposed to dozens of dorm-mates who are not, she contracts the virus and ends up very sick, and the parents sue the University for not enforcing the rules. Might as well set up the class-action suit right now, because it isn't "if" so much as "when and how many".
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TU77CAL82 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:53 pm
Tulane students partying amid coronavirus is 'shameful,' could result in expulsion, dean says
"Do not host parties or gatherings with more than 15 people, including the host," Tulane Dean of Students Erica Woodley wrote in all capital letters in a mass email. "If you do, you will face suspension or expulsion from the university."
According to the email, students living in New Orleans hosted large gatherings without masks or social distancing over the holiday weekend and then posted about them on social media. The gatherings drew attention from neighbors.

That's frick doody. Not the school year. WTF? If a kid here hosts a party they get expelled give me a frick break. (That said hosting a party is frick moronic but that's the school overstepping IMO)
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

windywave wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 pm
TU77CAL82 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:53 pm

That's frick doody. Not the school year. WTF? If a kid here hosts a party they get expelled give me a frick break. (That said hosting a party is frick moronic but that's the school overstepping IMO)
Like most Covid 'regulations,' I suspect that enforcement will be minimal to non-existent. I think that the idea is to at least make someone think a bit before doing something stupid. From reading local media and a recent newsletter email from the Architecture School Dean, it's clear that the university is spending a boatload of money to make the coming school year work. Failure would be really bad for the school. While diplomatic, the Dean was pretty clear that stupidity would not be acceptable . . .
We want our students here because this will be the best place to be. And, in return, we expect the highest standard of responsibility and maturity from everyone for the care of the rest in order to create a tight academic community, an "academic home." We are in the one of the worst pandemics in human history. I know that many of our students are in the age of doing crazy and stupid things. I swear that it would be difficult for any to match the number of stupid things I have done. But not this year. This year is the time of stepping up, like other generations during tragic times. Hopefully this pandemic will pass and we will recover the freedom to make mistakes. Now, we cannot afford errors and wrongdoings that play with the lives of others. We all will sign a pledge and a studio code, and no leeway that risks the health of the rest will be offered.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I figure it's a CYA move. If there's a party and an uptight student complains, they threaten expulsion and keep an eye on it. If the uptight student's parents threaten a suit or if there's an outbreak, they take action and expel the student. If not, the student probably slides.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Unequal enforcement of a rule/policy is a very good way to not CYA.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:51 pm Unequal enforcement of a rule/policy is a very good way to not CYA.
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Once you expel someone, then you gotta expel everyone after, but I bet they try hard not to expel anyone until they have to (meaning they're not enforcing it and will only act if an uptight Karen forces their hand). On the other hand, once you expel someone, it's a wake up call to the student body, so maybe it actually works without needing to expel tons. :mrgreen:

It will be interesting though, because if you believe the news and what you see in photos everywhere (and, hell, what I'm hearing about my 21yo niece), college kids don't give a crap about it and are living their lives like nothing is different. Covid parties are popping up all over. My niece just drove with a bunch of her college friends (from all over Texas) to go party for a week in Florida. :?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:11 pmIt will be interesting though, because if you believe the news and what you see in photos everywhere (and, hell, what I'm hearing about my 21yo niece), college kids don't give a crap about it and are living their lives like nothing is different. Covid parties are popping up all over. My niece just drove with a bunch of her college friends (from all over Texas) to go party for a week in Florida. :?
See my post above about college aged kids, us included long ago, not recognizing danger. My best buddy, who has twin college junior daughters just went through what you speak. One daughter goes to a small Catholic college in the Midwest and a month ago she joined about 20 of her friends for a weekend because they were bored. Surprise, surprise, one of the women was showing symptoms as the weekend progressed and tested COVID positive a couple of days after everyone went back to their respective families. The woman is very sick—one of those who is on the verge of needing an ER but not quite.

My buddy’s daughter was contrite (“I didn’t know.... :? ) but by then the whole family was potentially exposed. And so last week my buddy and his schoolteacher wife sat for four hours in a drive up line in Chicago for COVID testing. Thankfully they tested negative because my buddy is a walking talking health compromised 64 year old.

Viruses flourish because we are stupid.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:11 pm Once you expel someone, then you gotta expel everyone after, but I bet they try hard not to expel anyone until they have to (meaning they're not enforcing it and will only act if an uptight Karen forces their hand). On the other hand, once you expel someone, it's a wake up call to the student body, so maybe it actually works without needing to expel tons. :mrgreen:

It will be interesting though, because if you believe the news and what you see in photos everywhere (and, hell, what I'm hearing about my 21yo niece), college kids don't give a crap about it and are living their lives like nothing is different. Covid parties are popping up all over. My niece just drove with a bunch of her college friends (from all over Texas) to go party for a week in Florida. :?
I think the opposite is just as true...you're not going to be able to expel the guy from party #2 if you don't expel the guy from party #1. Selective enforcement is a sure recipe to losing in court.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:31 am
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:11 pm Once you expel someone, then you gotta expel everyone after, but I bet they try hard not to expel anyone until they have to (meaning they're not enforcing it and will only act if an uptight Karen forces their hand). On the other hand, once you expel someone, it's a wake up call to the student body, so maybe it actually works without needing to expel tons. :mrgreen:

I think the opposite is just as true...you're not going to be able to expel the guy from party #2 if you don't expel the guy from party #1. Selective enforcement is a sure recipe to losing in court.
I agree with that concept, but I'm thinking more like, how are they going to prove knowledge of party #1? That's the only reason I'm throwing this idea out (and to be clear, I'm just playing devil's advocate, it's not like I'm deeply invested in this topic or trying to start an argument). If they (purposely?) look the other way for as long as possible, they would only have to act once they have been notified by someone that there was a party. As long as they don't show up (TUPD or whatever authority is policing this) and just say "break it up" and walk away, they can likely claim no knowledge of parties until the first one on which they have to act due to a complaint being filed.

But going right against my own thought above about college kids "not caring", the ones who do care are probably VERY likely to snitch, so maybe Tulane is notified the very first time it happens.

I don't know if there's anyone reading here who is still "in touch" with campus, but are there still Greek rivalries, i.e., one frat who really doesn't like another? (I assume that hasn't changed 8) ) If so, you have to expect any large gathering at a house would immediately be reported by an opposing frat. Maybe even falsely charged, if there's some guy that others dislike.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

“Colleges are Getting Ready to Blame the Students”

Tulane is right up front in the article.

https://apple.news/A7w3IprxRSKCr2ev_xST5fw
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:39 pm “Colleges are Getting Ready to Blame the Students”

Tulane is right up front in the article.

https://apple.news/A7w3IprxRSKCr2ev_xST5fw
A grim picture of reality. And not exactly complimentary of how Tulane handled it either...
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I'm shocked that anyone thought there WOULDN'T be huge, unmasked gatherings at/outside of the Boot. I'm not the only one who was 100% sure it would be like any other year, was I?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Like I and many have said. College students gonna be college students. If I still had kids that age I’d say see ya in a year or when you are vaccinated, whichever comes first.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

I haven’t seen anyone there early afternoon when going pick up the kid. I passed today and there was one table seated outside.

I don’t stay up late enough any more to go see what’s going on at night.

The afternoon they cancelled classes in the spring it was packed.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wow, NE (I assume established naming standards apply) is going a little strong here. Like half a step from thought police!

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/08/22/ ... ing-party/
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:08 am Wow, NE (I assume established naming standards apply) is going a little strong here. Like half a step from thought police!

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/08/22/ ... ing-party/
Just call it a protest and the administration would probably buy the beer
#cousins don't count
greenguy
Riptide Level

Post by greenguy »

I wouldn't expect students at a top 10 party school to listen to Karen from the History department. Not even if she threatens to throw you out of her home if you don't cut that hair.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Northeastern just kicked out 11 students for breaking COVID rules. They forfeit their $36,500 semester (!) tuition.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:59 pm I'm shocked that anyone thought there WOULDN'T be huge, unmasked gatherings at/outside of the Boot. I'm not the only one who was 100% sure it would be like any other year, was I?
No one thought there wouldn't be huge parties. This was always part of the plan. Get students on campus, lock in tuition (that date was last week), hopefully lock in dorm money (TU gets 75% later this month, 100% in mid october), then move online, and have it not be a PR hassle because they can blame the students for not being responsible.

It's a disgusting situation of creating a dangerous situation, lying to your students and their families about the "precautions" you've taken on campus, getting their money, then avoiding the parents being angry at the school by saying "oh we weren't planning to go online before winter, look at the money we spent! we could have made it! it's all because johnny and susie couldn't be responsible, actions have consequences!". Yes, actions do have consequences, for the little guy. Tulane will come out looking clean as a whistle and probably get another article in a national paper about their handling of COVID. :xmad:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16