Hullabaloo surveys Tulane community on reopening

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
diverdo
Junior

Re: Hullabaloo surveys Tulane community on reopening

Post by diverdo »

Assuming the La stats approximate the country"s stats with regard to the student population that will be on the campus:
Approx 50% of positive covid cases are under 40 and represent only 2% of deaths - there is a higher probability to die from the flu.
A little less than 1/3 of posivitive covid cases are aged 40-60 but represent approx 10% of deaths.
The over 60 crowd represents about 20% of the positive covid cases but 85-90% of deaths so I can understand the reluctance of the older folks and, of course, anyone else who has an identified co-morbidity like diabetes, obesity, heart issues, etc.
Those that have died with (not necessarily, of) covid are only about 10% of total US deaths so far in 2020, i.e., we are all 9 times more likely to die from something else. It seems to me that if policemen, docs and other healthcare workers, store cashiers, plant workers, construction workers, etc, etc can work in these age groups delineated above with not nearly the safeguards discussed in this thread, why wouldn't the faculty and staff do likewise WITH the safeguards?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Because they are being forced to spend extended periods of time with literally the stupidest, most selfish, most careless, most believe-themselves-invincible segment of the population?

(and before you think I'm just being an arrogant old fart, I say this with 100% complete admission that when I was 18-25 I was absolutely, positively stupid, selfish, careless, and thought myself invincible.)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

diverdo wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:21 pm Assuming the La stats approximate the country"s stats with regard to the student population that will be on the campus:
Approx 50% of positive covid cases are under 40 and represent only 2% of deaths - there is a higher probability to die from the flu.
A little less than 1/3 of posivitive covid cases are aged 40-60 but represent approx 10% of deaths.
The over 60 crowd represents about 20% of the positive covid cases but 85-90% of deaths so I can understand the reluctance of the older folks and, of course, anyone else who has an identified co-morbidity like diabetes, obesity, heart issues, etc.
Those that have died with (not necessarily, of) covid are only about 10% of total US deaths so far in 2020, i.e., we are all 9 times more likely to die from something else. It seems to me that if policemen, docs and other healthcare workers, store cashiers, plant workers, construction workers, etc, etc can work in these age groups delineated above with not nearly the safeguards discussed in this thread, why wouldn't the faculty and staff do likewise WITH the safeguards?
Where are you getting this higher probability information on the flu?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

diverdo wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:21 pm Assuming the La stats approximate the country"s stats with regard to the student population that will be on the campus:
The smart ass in me says, you first. Or as the recent New Yorker cartoon with folks on the beach with a shark fin a few feet away and the guy shouts ‘only 1% of you will die, everyone in the water!’.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

1% of 0 is a lot lower than 1% of thousands
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!