Doctors, help me out here

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Doctors, help me out here

Post by PeteRasche »

This story was suggested in my browser based on my interest in Tulane. If I'm reading it right, it's a study of new polio vaccines because so many people are now anti-vaxxers that polio is making a comeback?

https://www.newswire.ca/fr/news-release ... 31690.html
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: Doctors, help me out here

Post by AO Sig »

As we speak smallpox is the only viral disease that has been eradicated on the planet (except for a few samples in deep freeze in places like a little edifice on Buford Highway in Atlanta. I remember seeing posters offering $10K rewards for smallpox. There has been a lot of hope that Polio would be the second; however, there has been a bit of an increase in polio in the area of SE Asia and the Philippines. I am not sure that it is the anti-vaxers as much as some of the more primitive areas in a poor nation.

The last data I saw mentioned about 500 cases; this is a bit disconcerting because it is a very contagious respiratory disease with a lot of complications. the Sabin vaccine is extremely effective; the convenience of an oral vaccine makes it very easy to distribute. It is a "live" virus, so it makes a sort of mild infection to stimulate immunity. The salk vaccine, which was the original, is an inactivated virus, so has to be given by shot.

To be honest, the anti-vaccine people do convey a risk of a new outbreak of polio here in the U.S. If someone were to come to the U.S to an area where lots of people have not received the vaccines, it could spread pretty quickly. COVID might be a help in the case; since travel to and from Oceania and SE Asia has been curtailed greatly. At least this is what my opinion is on this.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Speaking of vaccines, it probably has not been on lost on the medical and wider community that the "regular" flu season has been very light to nonexistent. Is that because people heeded the warning that a regular flu shot could charge up the immune system better vs. COVID so more people got the jab? Usually by this time I know some relative or friend who has had the flu but this year nada. I got my regular flu shot in early October and admit that since I retired and having had the flu shot conga line at work, I sometimes blew it off.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:40 am Speaking of vaccines, it probably has not been on lost on the medical and wider community that the "regular" flu season has been very light to nonexistent. Is that because people heeded the warning that a regular flu shot could charge up the immune system better vs. COVID so more people got the jab? Usually by this time I know some relative or friend who has had the flu but this year nada. I got my regular flu shot in early October and admit that since I retired and having had the flu shot conga line at work, I sometimes blew it off.
I would guess it's because there is way less person to person interaction and people are somewhat more careful/clean
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:49 am
TUPF wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:40 am Speaking of vaccines, it probably has not been on lost on the medical and wider community that the "regular" flu season has been very light to nonexistent. Is that because people heeded the warning that a regular flu shot could charge up the immune system better vs. COVID so more people got the jab? Usually by this time I know some relative or friend who has had the flu but this year nada. I got my regular flu shot in early October and admit that since I retired and having had the flu shot conga line at work, I sometimes blew it off.
I would guess it's because there is way less person to person interaction and people are somewhat more careful/clean
Bingo. The obvious answer staring me right in the face. I'll have that second cup of caffeine now. :mrgreen:
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

My kids have been sick three times this year already, twice bad enough that we had them tested for COVID (both negative), but the most recent keeping them out of school for four days with a fever (even though no other symptoms). So it might not be flu but kids always find a way to spread germs...
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

My one school-age kid is 100% virtual, so we really don't have much interaction with the outside world!
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

My daughter works part-time at WDW; for those of you going there look for Amanda in the France or Canada pavilions at Epcot. She has not yet received the vaccine, and none of the cast members have heard anything about whether they can get it. I fully expect that once the Janssen and/or Astra-Zeneca vaccines are available, the mouse will have mass vaccination stations for all of the cast members to get vaccinated, particularly those with regular contact with the public. Disney says that they hope to go back to normal by next year, but that they are planning to have the mask requirements in place through 2021.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Not gonna lie the smallpox vaccine kicked my @zz when I got it before I deployed
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:48 pm Not gonna lie the smallpox vaccine kicked my @zz when I got it before I deployed
Wow, it never occurred to me that folks don’t routinely get the smallpox vaccine as kids like we did in the 60s. I bet it was a lot tougher as an adult.

And leave it to the military to line you up and the medics hit you in each arm in a conga line. :wink:
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

TUPF wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:18 pm
krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:48 pm Not gonna lie the smallpox vaccine kicked my @zz when I got it before I deployed
Wow, it never occurred to me that folks don’t routinely get the smallpox vaccine as kids like we did in the 60s. I bet it was a lot tougher as an adult.

And leave it to the military to line you up and the medics hit you in each arm in a conga line. :wink:
My grandfather went to Korea in the Army at 18. He tells a story about the vaccination line where all the recruits were lined up out the door in two lines. When you got to the nurses giving the shot, one would jab you in one arm and one in the the other simultaneously. In his telling, as he got towards the front, a guy a few spots ahead in the adjacent line passed out. My grandfather looked at a nearby nurse and said in his thick Appalachian accent a rougher version of, "Dang, that must be some bad stuff you're giving out." The orderly replied, "Heck, he hasn't even had his yet." Poor guy saw the needles and lost it.. To this day Grandpa has no idea what was in those shots. :lol:
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

TUPF wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:18 pm

No conga line...went into a room with a sealed door with a medic. They put the poker thing into a vial and stabbed my left shoulder a few times. Gave me a manual on how to treat the area and dispose of the bandages. Flu like symptoms, swollen glands, and a dime size blister at the shot site... good times
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

All of that and a paycheck too?!?!