TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
Post Reply
User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 24190
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by waverider »

Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
windywave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22763
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by windywave »

Condolences to his family.

That's horrible
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
User avatar
noladave
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8286
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:50 am
Location: new orleans, la
Contact:

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by noladave »

10:00 news speculating it was over a guy being refused admission because he wasn’t wearing a mask. I hope that’s not true.

Nola really sucks with its crime problem..

Just a dang shame, prayers to the family.
User avatar
WaveProf
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22912
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by WaveProf »

Now multiple reports saying that he was shot because he told someone to wear a mask. Supposedly a really nice guy and well respected at Tulane.


Can't all the selfish, anti-mask people just move to Florida? :angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
User avatar
WaveProf
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22912
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
User avatar
Rotorooter
President's Circle
Posts: 4664
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by Rotorooter »

WaveProf wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 am Can't all the selfish, anti-mask people just move to Florida? :angel:
Considering the facts of the case, a really stupid statement.
Plan your work, work your plan.
User avatar
CT Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1930
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Location: Naples, FL

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by CT Wave »

Rotorooter wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:04 am
WaveProf wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 am Can't all the selfish, anti-mask people just move to Florida? :angel:
Considering the facts of the case, a really stupid statement.
Ya think? I'd suggest a really stupid statement independent of the facts of the case. Pitiful really.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 25020
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by PeteRasche »

Story is now national (surprised it took this long). One of the rotating headlines on msn.com which many folks have as their default home page on their browser...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/la ... li=BBnb7Kz
User avatar
Rotorooter
President's Circle
Posts: 4664
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:23 pm Story is now national (surprised it took this long). One of the rotating headlines on msn.com which many folks have as their default home page on their browser...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/la ... li=BBnb7Kz
I'm sure that the perp is a multiple felon, with a gun and looks to be drugged out by his mug shot has nothing to do with anything. Cannot ruin a good narrative, can we?
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 7960
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: We're not in Kansas anymore

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:23 pm Story is now national (surprised it took this long). One of the rotating headlines on msn.com which many folks have as their default home page on their browser...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/la ... li=BBnb7Kz
I'm sure that the perp is a multiple felon, with a gun and looks to be drugged out by his mug shot has nothing to do with anything. Cannot ruin a good narrative, can we?
What? The NOLA.com story above said he had one disturbing the peace conviction. And I'm not sure what narrative you mean. How it's a terrible story?
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
User avatar
WaveProf
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22912
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by WaveProf »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm
I'm sure that the perp is a multiple felon,
Um, no.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 25020
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by PeteRasche »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:23 pm Story is now national (surprised it took this long). One of the rotating headlines on msn.com which many folks have as their default home page on their browser...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/la ... li=BBnb7Kz
I'm sure that the perp is a multiple felon, with a gun and looks to be drugged out by his mug shot has nothing to do with anything. Cannot ruin a good narrative, can we?
I didn't know what in the heck you were even meaning by this post because the facts of the case were in the Nola story and the national one simply repeated the info from the Nola story. But then I realized, ohhhhhh, you're judging by the website where it was posted. Hate to break it to you but the story doesn't include any spin or opinion, it's just the story of what happened. And despite the reputation that msnbc has, MSN.com is a news aggregator that has stories from both sides and can be tailored to whatever you want (it can just as easily be filled with links from Fox as CNN), and it's been designed to be people's home page for like 20 years, since way before "spin and agenda" was even a thought.

Moving on...
User avatar
Rotorooter
President's Circle
Posts: 4664
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by Rotorooter »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 pm
Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm
I'm sure that the perp is a multiple felon,
Um, no.
You're right!! After re-reading the article, only one felony and one misdemeanor, so I apologize to the perp. Don't let me interrupt the narrative about masks or Florida. Carry on.
Plan your work, work your plan.
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 25020
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by PeteRasche »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:21 pm
WaveProf wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 pm
Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm
I'm sure that the perp is a multiple felon,
Um, no.
You're right!! After re-reading the article, only one felony and one misdemeanor, so I apologize to the perp. Don't let me interrupt the narrative about masks or Florida. Carry on.
Prof made a joke above (which I largely ignored but was arguably in bad taste as "too soon")... But I hope you are not in any way defending the murderer because you think he was justified in this case for refusing to wear a mask. I can't tell either way from what you wrote but the fact it's even vague is problematic...
User avatar
WaveProf
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22912
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:25 pm But I hope you are not in any way defending the murderer because you think he was justified in this case for refusing to wear a mask. I can't tell either way from what you wrote but the fact it's even vague is problematic...
In fairness to Roto (and it's about the only thing I'm that worried about being fair to him about on this topic), I don't think it reads like that at all. He's annoyed people are talking about the mask thing because he's essentially profiling the perp for reasons why the mask narrative is a false one.

He's grasping at straws, but he's not defending the murderer.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 7960
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: We're not in Kansas anymore

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:21 pm
WaveProf wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 pm
Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm
I'm sure that the perp is a multiple felon,
Um, no.
You're right!! After re-reading the article, only one felony and one misdemeanor, so I apologize to the perp. Don't let me interrupt the narrative about masks or Florida. Carry on.
Can you point me to the felony? And if the facts of what happened are that he wasn't wearing a mask and that's why he was told to leave, that's not narrative.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
User avatar
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6802
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Gretna, LA

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by GretnaGrn »

gerryb323 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:33 pm
Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:21 pm
WaveProf wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 pm
Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm
I'm sure that the perp is a multiple felon,
Um, no.
You're right!! After re-reading the article, only one felony and one misdemeanor, so I apologize to the perp. Don't let me interrupt the narrative about masks or Florida. Carry on.
Can you point me to the felony? And if the facts of what happened are that he wasn't wearing a mask and that's why he was told to leave, that's not narrative.
He only has one misdemeanor conviction, but there's strong evidence he committed an armed robbery not long before the altercation that ended with the shooting (he has been charged for that along with the murder). And trying to defend anyone willing to kill over being removed for refusal to obey the clearly stated guidelines to wear a mask, after being warned, and after assaulting school staff for daring to tell him to do so needs to take a step back and think about themselves. The perpetrator is a scumbag who murdered a law enforcement officer who was well-liked, and seemingly everything a police officer should be, and a member of the Tulane family. The facts are the facts; the incident in the school started because he would not wear a mask or leave. His response to being told to do one of the two should not be acceptable to anyone.
User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 24190
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by waverider »

This whole situation is puzzling. The guy robs someone in the parking lot then assaults a school staff member before subsequently shooting a policeman working detail who assists with removing him from the game.
This morning on the radio there was mention of the guy telling the police that they have to keep him in jail for his own safety. IF that part is true, then this may be more of a case of mental illness than drug related.

Based on his prior legal issues he seems more like pervert than a violent criminal.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 7960
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: We're not in Kansas anymore

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by gerryb323 »

GretnaGrn wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:35 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:33 pm
Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:21 pm
WaveProf wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 pm
Rotorooter wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm
I'm sure that the perp is a multiple felon,
Um, no.
You're right!! After re-reading the article, only one felony and one misdemeanor, so I apologize to the perp. Don't let me interrupt the narrative about masks or Florida. Carry on.
Can you point me to the felony? And if the facts of what happened are that he wasn't wearing a mask and that's why he was told to leave, that's not narrative.
He only has one misdemeanor conviction, but there's strong evidence he committed an armed robbery not long before the altercation that ended with the shooting (he has been charged for that along with the murder). And trying to defend anyone willing to kill over being removed for refusal to obey the clearly stated guidelines to wear a mask, after being warned, and after assaulting school staff for daring to tell him to do so needs to take a step back and think about themselves. The perpetrator is a scumbag who murdered a law enforcement officer who was well-liked, and seemingly everything a police officer should be, and a member of the Tulane family. The facts are the facts; the incident in the school started because he would not wear a mask or leave. His response to being told to do one of the two should not be acceptable to anyone.
Yep
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
User avatar
OGSB
Emerald Circle
Posts: 17446
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm

Re: TUPD officer murdered at HS MBB game

Post by OGSB »

Approved by Experts
Post Reply