AAC Basketball Discussion

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: AAC Basketball Discussion

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote: In general in that older era, centers were just tall and large ("lumbering"?). Not that they weren't great (Russell, Walton) but still they were pretty big/thick and somewhat slow.
Um, wut? 6'9", 220 lb Bill Russell waves his 11 rings in the air as perhaps the best defensive center in basketball history. Big and slow?! I stopped reading after this. Ol, I didn't, but I no longer think you know anything about basketball, sir.
Apparently you misread the part where I said "NOT THAT THEY WEREN'T GREAT" (as in, some WERE... like Russell. Specifically Russell!).
But you said "but they were still pretty big/thick and somewhat slow" immediately after Russell. He was none of those! (Which was, of course, part of why he was so good)
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

"Big and slow" Bill Russell going coast to coast and jumping over a guy:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote: In general in that older era, centers were just tall and large ("lumbering"?). Not that they weren't great (Russell, Walton) but still they were pretty big/thick and somewhat slow.
Um, wut? 6'9", 220 lb Bill Russell waves his 11 rings in the air as perhaps the best defensive center in basketball history. Big and slow?! I stopped reading after this. Ol, I didn't, but I no longer think you know anything about basketball, sir.
Apparently you misread the part where I said "NOT THAT THEY WEREN'T GREAT" (as in, some WERE... like Russell. Specifically Russell!).
But you said "but they were still pretty big/thick and somewhat slow" immediately after Russell. He was none of those! (Which was, of course, part of why he was so good)
Not to mention Walton was a completely different era (after Jabbar, though of course Jabbar wound up outlasting him) and would not at all be considered "just tall and large". Though slowed by injury, of course, he was highly skilled and was 6'11", 210 lbs.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Fine, I didn't write that very well. Mea culpa.

This is really quite a threadjack anyway and we should be talking AAC basketball, not the history of NBA centers....
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

There hasn't been much going on lately in conference, or any big games, so that's fine.

Anyway, it seems an early look at the standings a measly 3-4 games into everyone's schedules has the current power hierarchy shaking out a bit like:

Cincinnati, UConn, and Tulsa are contenders (SMU would count but cannot)
Temple is probably the best 1-3 team in the country
USF is very, very bad
Everyone else (including Memphis) hasn't played/beaten anyone good enough to be too sure on them (though ECU did only lose by 8 to ranked Cal)

Depending on Memphis being pre-Pastner Memphis again, there's a lot of potential chaff in this conference, plenty of room for someone to move up if they could take advantage, and I'm not saying who
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

1309th WAVE wrote:There hasn't been much going on lately in conference, or any big games, so that's fine.

Anyway, it seems an early look at the standings a measly 3-4 games into everyone's schedules has the current power hierarchy shaking out a bit like:

Cincinnati, UConn, and Tulsa are contenders (SMU would count but cannot)
Temple is probably the best 1-3 team in the country
USF is very, very bad
Everyone else (including Memphis) hasn't played/beaten anyone good enough to be too sure on them (though ECU did only lose by 8 to ranked Cal)

Depending on Memphis being pre-Pastner Memphis again, there's a lot of potential chaff in this conference, plenty of room for someone to move up if they could take advantage, and I'm not saying who
Quick question: Will AAC ban SMU from AAC conference tournament while it is on NCAA probation?
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

I can't find any info immediately available from the AAC or SMU on that, but the way I see it, the conference doesn't stand to receive any benefit whatsoever running the risk of their auto-bid tourney champion being ineligible for the big dance. They could end up robbing the NIT bid too, being a regular season champ.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

If memory serves, in the past, in other conferences, teams ineligible for the postseason were also ineligible for conference title or tournament. I don't know that this has come up since the American became the American, however, and my memory might be faulty on this.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

GretnaGrn wrote:If memory serves, in the past, in other conferences, teams ineligible for the postseason were also ineligible for conference title or tournament. I don't know that this has come up since the American became the American, however, and my memory might be faulty on this.
It's been done both ways.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Switched over to OSU - Memphis basketball at halftime of football. Exciting ending going on now!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:Switched over to OSU - Memphis basketball at halftime of football. Exciting ending going on now!
Thad needs a shave
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Switched over to OSU - Memphis basketball at halftime of football. Exciting ending going on now!
Thad needs a shave
God that was an awful series of basketball to end regulation.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Thad needs a shave
God that was an awful series of basketball to end regulation.
Tarrant icing the game for Memphis. He's got 16 points. 14-16 FT.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

UConn handlin' Ohio State
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Houston gets LSU at home this afternoon, and it's their first, uh, "real" opponent, depending on if you still think LSU is good. A scalp to claim is still a scalp to claim, even if LSU was vastly overrated. Let's go get one for the AAC.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Temple lost to St. Joe's. The conference is really struggling. SMU is the only one playing really well. 9th rated conference RPI right now. 2 to 3 bid league tops with SMU not eligible. Tulsa will be on the bubble again. Figure UCONN and Cincy get in.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

UH leads 45-36 at the half. Also, Temple undid themselves with their brutal early schedule, but of course losing to St. Joes does not help them. They'll likely head into AAC play at .500 and run into a buzzsaw there.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

1309th WAVE wrote:Also, Temple undid themselves with their brutal early schedule, but of course losing to St. Joes does not help them. They'll likely head into AAC play at .500 and run into a buzzsaw there.
Temple losing to St. Joe's might be a surprise anywhere but in Philly. Phil Martelli is a heckuva coach.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Houston just couldn't put lsu away and currently lead 75-74 with 3:46 left
Victory is never permanent
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Lsu hits a 3 with 5.5 seconds left to send it to OT
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Houston wins 105-98
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

Getting pretty far behind at half-time seems to be killing LSU. I'm not that sad for those slow starts.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Cincy thinks they may have their best team since the Huggins days. They lost the crosstown shootout to Xavier but Xavier expects to be really good too.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

So SMU is the only undefeated team left in D1 basketball. Ultimately good for the AAC still?