Which AAC School Made the Best Hire

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane

Who made the best hire for their particular situation.....

You may select 1 option

View results

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Which AAC School Made the Best Hire

Post by WaveProf »

Given the particulars of their situation.....
Last edited by WaveProf on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Ray
Regent's Circle

Re: Which AAC School Made the Best Hire

Post by Ray »

I thought Cincy. hired a different guy. From OSU?? Can't recall his name.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

They did. Its Luke Fickell. Who I'm actually very familiar with. I just had a brain fart with f-named coaches :angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

WaveProf wrote:They did. Its Luke Fickell. Who I'm actually very familiar with. I just had a brain fart with f-named coaches :angel:
:lol: :lol: They really are similar last names.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I vote to get rid of polls.

The question, shorn of the boring poll feature, is a good one. The answer is "none of the above." Every one of these hires could fail; usually you can point to a group of hires inside a conference in a given year and confidently pick one future winner. Strong is not far removed from being considered a very good coach but his last year at Texas was an implosion. His original staff failed him, his special teams cost him games throughout his tenure, and a good defensive coach couldn't create even a bad defense from a roster filled with big-time recruits. Also, the end of his tenure argued that this good guy's team quit on him. Fickell could turn out really well but to me his hire is a triumph of name recognition over everything else. Applewhite has the same issue but following the UH search more closely than I did the UC search, it seemed that he was the man left standing after their requirements scared off too many good candidates. All of a sudden it was like "Sh-t, we've got to hire somebody." His reported buyout, the vaunted huge UH buyout, isn't that great. If he's a big winner any P5 could easily pay it.

I can't wait to see who Temple hires. They have a popular assistant - the players' choice - who is too old and looks like The Man With One Arm from The Fugitive. Old Dominion's coach looks like a good choice to me.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:Fickell could turn out really well but to me his hire is a triumph of name recognition over everything else.
I guess they're hoping it's not like the last time they did that. You know, the guy they're replacing. Fool me once...
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote:
long green wrote:Fickell could turn out really well but to me his hire is a triumph of name recognition over everything else.
I guess they're hoping it's not like the last time they did that. You know, the guy they're replacing. Fool me once...
My bad, I wasn't clear. By name recognition, I meant locally, considering Fickell's Flaming Ohioism. Columbus native who played at OSU and has never worked outside of the state. His nickname should be "House Arrest."
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

But you were correct in the way I took it, too (though you might not know it, you not living up here). Nobody cares about the "flaming Ohioism", they care that he came from a big-name school and once even briefly had a head gig there. It's like there is this crazy pressure to hire someone from a power school, despite both the failure of doing that previously and the fact that their most successful coaches all came from non-power schools.

Btw, his contract is something like 6 years, $2.3M per year. :shock:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I saw that $ figure and I couldn't believe it. Still can't. Cincy is in a real fix if he's a dud.