AAC Basketball Expansion?

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: AAC Basketball Expansion?

Unread post by gerryb323 »

MNAlum wrote:If Wichita State restarts football is that a good thing for the AAC? Maybe brings an end to the UMass speculation?
Well, assuming all else stays the same, it would give us an odd football number, so maybe increase in the speculation?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Wichita State "source" confirms it's happening and this year. I'm excited, but then I'm biased!
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

It's happening.....if you believe Dennis Dodd and a couple of other big time college basketball guys in twitter. Is it wrong that I'm as excited for the baseball aspect?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

FW wrote:It's happening.....if you believe Dennis Dodd and a couple of other big time college basketball guys in twitter. Is it wrong that I'm as excited for the baseball aspect?
I'm excited for the baseball aspect! Their stadium is also very nice. The entire outfield "stands," is a big grass hill where you can bring your own food, beer, grill, everything. It's fun!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

FW wrote:It's happening.....if you believe Dennis Dodd and a couple of other big time college basketball guys in twitter. Is it wrong that I'm as excited for the baseball aspect?
Yes
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

It's not wrong at all to like the baseball aspect provided you realize (and admit publicly while on your knees, arms uplifted in supplication) that it is dwarfed in significance by the addition of Wichita State men's basketball. Gregg Marshall is still there, folks. Wichita State baseball ought to be a fine addition to the AAC but it has fallen off of late.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Gerry's just happy that the Wave will be coming to his town in any form. As any out-of-town fan should be.
(says the guy who was ecstatic that we got back in a league with Cincinnati a few years ago)
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

I wasn't responding to any of the perfectly good things posted by gerryb
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I'm exited about the MBB part of this expansion. We needed to beef up our conference resume there. And lest we forget, just making the NCAA Tournament means around $1.7M for the conference.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... caa-money/

The payout rules are complicated but enticing. Even if your college basketball team doesn’t win a game, you win $1.67 million. A round-of-16 appearance rakes in almost $5 million. A Final Four run? $8.3 million
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:Gerry's just happy that the Wave will be coming to his town in any form. As any out-of-town fan should be.
(says the guy who was ecstatic that we got back in a league with Cincinnati a few years ago)
:whistle:
:bluecrowd: :thumbsup: :patriotic:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:I wasn't responding to any of the perfectly good things posted by gerryb
And I wasn't responding to you.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

This is a good move for the AAC IMHO, and a very strong addition for men's hoops. It's perfectly fine to be excited about the other sports, too, including baseball.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:It's not wrong at all to like the baseball aspect provided you realize (and admit publicly while on your knees, arms uplifted in supplication) that it is dwarfed in significance by the addition of Wichita State men's basketball. Gregg Marshall is still there, folks. Wichita State baseball ought to be a fine addition to the AAC but it has fallen off of late.
I agree with this as well, although I think the basketball team will be in for an awakening with the increased talent level in the league. There's no way they are running 15-1 through this league.