AAC votes unanimously to add Wichita State for 2017-18

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
long green
Cornerstone

AAC votes unanimously to add Wichita State for 2017-18

Post by long green »

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor ... e-shockers

It's done. If I had to guess I'd say the AAC will keep doubling up one baseball series a year, giving the AAC 27 league games in that sport.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Re: AAC votes unanimously to add Wichita State for 2017-18

Post by LawGreenie »

Walking the fine line between sensible growth and becoming the Island of Misfit Toys.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I see your point. It's sensible growth if we do not add anymore special fits (WSU and Navy).
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

This boosts baseball and basketball, but like LG, I don't want anymore partial participants.

This gives us an even number of teams playing basketball so there has been some discussion on Twitter about whether or not the league will go to divisions in basketball (like football) and if that's a good or bad thing.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

American Athletic Conference votes unanimously to add Wichita State
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor ... e-shockers
Sources said Wichita State will pay $2.5 million to join the AAC, but the Shockers won't actually pay that amount as future league revenue -- expected to be $500,000 for each of the next five years -- will be withheld to pay for its entrance fee.

As far as scheduling, the AAC said it would stick with an 18-game conference basketball slate, with schools playing seven home-and-home games and four one-plays.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

As long as they don't get any funny ideas and decide they want to add football, this is a good move. Gives us 12 in basketball just like in football, and they are a strong hoops addition.

Gerry's dancing a jig right about now.... :lol:
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Basically, this gives us Navy Football and WSU everything else. I'm good with this. Ends the unbalanced scheduling and WSU is worthy in hoops for absolute certain. Logical move for all concerned.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Just saw a quote from Aresco saying there won't be divisions in basketball.

Will we be back to leaving one team out of the baseball tourney, only taking the top 8?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Chiz82
Coach Level

Post by Chiz82 »

waverider wrote:Just saw a quote from Aresco saying there won't be divisions in basketball.

Will we be back to leaving one team out of the baseball tourney, only taking the top 8?
In hoops, I think only the MAC conf does divisions.
he missed it
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

:bluecrowd: :bluecrowd: :bluecrowd: :bluecrowd: :bluecrowd: :bluecrowd: :bluecrowd: :bluecrowd:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Gerry, I'll tell you my experience with Temple in Philadelphia: it's great being able to catch home games but you'll probably be one of a handful of Tulanians in the stands. The alumni chapter in Philly is small and is there even one in Wichita? As the years go by, the locals start knowing about Tulane, especially if we start beating them but at first you'll get a lot of "where's Tulane?" Still, it's fun to wear your colors around town and start getting hints of recognition. Soon you'll go from "Green what?" to "man, I can't wait to go to an away game in New Orleans!"
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Chiz The Southern Conference, the SEC, and several others used to do divisions for basketball. I wish we were going to do that. But it isn't the fashion these days. Now it is only the MAC and the Ohio-Valley Conferences

Here's Aresco talking about the addition:

https://youtu.be/98bHLDEpCYU

And here is TD's response:
We are thrilled for this great addition to the #AAC. WSU brings great people and great programs across the board. #rollwithus @GoShockers
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I'm really happy about the move. It sue does beef up our resume when it comes to MBB.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

LawGreenie wrote:Walking the fine line between sensible growth and becoming the Island of Misfit Toys.
Not in this case. This makes us LESS a land of misfit toys, not more. It gives us balance because of Navy.

Adding MORE teams that don't (or only) play football would be heading in the direction you are concerned with
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:As long as they don't get any funny ideas and decide they want to add football,
They already have that idea and its above 50% that they'll add it in the next 3-7 years according to Wichita news. Doesn't mean they'll play in our conference, but it is certainly far beyond the "funny idea" stage for them to bring back football.

Trivia Note" Wichita State's last d1A victory in football (second to last victory overall) was Tulane sometime in the 70s. Heard that on the radio the other day.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I forgot to say this: I love their team name.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

WaveProf wrote:Welcome Wichita:

https://youtu.be/VeVYO249tPo
YES ..... Welcome aboard :!: :!:
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

This is a great move. I understand about being worried in general, but look at their basketball since 2010

29-8 (NIT Champs)
27-6 (NCAA First Round)
30-9 (NCAA Final Four)
35-1 (NCAA 2nd Round)
30-5 (NCAA Sweet 16)
26-9 (NCAA 2nd Round)
31-5 (NCAA 2nd Round)

And, I've seen a couple of too early preseason polls that have them a top 10 team for next year, and one with them in the top 5.

As for baseball, they've missed their tournament the last 3 years, but historically they're one of the best programs in the nation. They won the national title in '89, were runners up in '82, '91 and '93, have 7 CWS appearances, 28 regional appearances, and 2 super regionals (2007 and 2008....we would have played them in 2008 if we would have won the Tallahassee Regional). They've had their only 2 losing seasons since their program was reststarted in 1978 in the last 2 years under their new coach (26-33 and 21-37).
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:As long as they don't get any funny ideas and decide they want to add football,
They already have that idea and its above 50% that they'll add it in the next 3-7 years according to Wichita news. Doesn't mean they'll play in our conference, but it is certainly far beyond the "funny idea" stage for them to bring back football.

Trivia Note" Wichita State's last d1A victory in football (second to last victory overall) was Tulane sometime in the 70s. Heard that on the radio the other day.
I'm aware of all of that. My point still stands. Don't let them in our conference in year one.

And if you look at the other thread about WSU, I believe it says the football game was mid 80s.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

1986. I've seen reports that they've made two attempts to bring football back within the last 10 years. Maybe they'll be successful. Lord knows Kansas needs a second program to go with Kansas State.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

long green wrote:http://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor ... e-shockers

It's done. If I had to guess I'd say the AAC will keep doubling up one baseball series a year, giving the AAC 27 league games in that sport.
This is great.
I don't see a downside.
Welcome Shockers!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

FW wrote:Lord knows Kansas needs a second program to go with Kansas State.
If I weren't on a tablet and therefore it such a hassle, I'd give you a "well played" meme, so instead I'll just say, well played, sir. :lol:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

long green wrote:I see your point. It's sensible growth if we do not add anymore special fits (WSU and Navy).
It offsets Navy ... I approve
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count