Emerald Circle

ECU sends out pirate scrolls on NLI day

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: ECU sends out pirate scrolls on NLI day

Post by waverider »

I've always had a fascination with pirate lore so that's really cool.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Everyone has a bit of Pirate in them; I don't know anyone who hasn't let loose an "arrrrrgh" at one time or another. Every parrothead belts out the words to the second verse of Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate looks at 40" (Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late; the cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder, I'm an over-40 victim of fate, arriving too late, arriving too late."
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

As for me, I'm starting to tire of pirates. I've been in Fernandina for a year and a half now, and everywhere I look, it's about pirates.
Pirate lore is a big part of the town's history, and they make the most of it. Of course, the local schools all have Pirates as their mascot. And every May, they have the "8 Flags Shrimp Festival," which is a HUGE affair for such a small community (the population more than quadruples for that weekend); included in the festivities is a pirate invasion, where pirates storm ashore and take over the waterfront downtown--that scene gets repeated several times over the weekend. Pirates in full costume all over the place. And every parade--regardless of the theme--includes pirates. Last weekend, we had the annual "Dickens on Centre" celebration (Centre St. is the main street downtown), with actors strolling the street in mid-18th century garb, regaling everyone with Dickens lore, doing improv skits, and there was even a mock up of an English Pub of the era selling adult bevarages. But there, mixed in with the festivities were dozens of --you guessed it-- pirates.
:roll:
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Roller wrote:As for me, I'm starting to tire of pirates. I've been in Fernandina for a year and a half now, and everywhere I look, it's about pirates.
Pirate lore is a big part of the town's history, and they make the most of it. Of course, the local schools all have Pirates as their mascot. And every May, they have the "8 Flags Shrimp Festival," which is a HUGE affair for such a small community (the population more than quadruples for that weekend); included in the festivities is a pirate invasion, where pirates storm ashore and take over the waterfront downtown--that scene gets repeated several times over the weekend. Pirates in full costume all over the place. And every parade--regardless of the theme--includes pirates. Last weekend, we had the annual "Dickens on Centre" celebration (Centre St. is the main street downtown), with actors strolling the street in mid-18th century garb, regaling everyone with Dickens lore, doing improv skits, and there was even a mock up of an English Pub of the era selling adult bevarages. But there, mixed in with the festivities were dozens of --you guessed it-- pirates.
I'd like your town Roller !!
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Have made two visits to Amelia. Loved it. Only regret is that one place we loved there has closed; down under was a great seafood placed appropriately named beneath the bridge from mainland.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

AO Sig wrote:Have made two visits to Amelia. Loved it. Only regret is that one place we loved there has closed; down under was a great seafood placed appropriately named beneath the bridge from mainland.
Down Under re-opened this past September. It stays full.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:As for me, I'm starting to tire of pirates. I've been in Fernandina for a year and a half now, and everywhere I look, it's about pirates.
You painted a picture, Roller. Well done. Reminds of of the half manufactured/half real Parrothead persona that powers Key West tourism. It’s a bunch of people our age with tie dyed t-shirts and gray hair in ponytails getting teary eyed watching the daily sunset from the town square, well lubricated in Margaritaville. It works for them.
Last edited by TUPF on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Roller wrote:
AO Sig wrote:Have made two visits to Amelia. Loved it. Only regret is that one place we loved there has closed; down under was a great seafood placed appropriately named beneath the bridge from mainland.
Thanks for the update! We might have to get off on the first exit off 95 on our next trip to WDW!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

AO Sig wrote:
Roller wrote:
Thanks for the update! We might have to get off on the first exit off 95 on our next trip to WDW!
Just let me know when you're coming.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

AO Sig wrote:Everyone has a bit of Pirate in them; I don't know anyone who hasn't let loose an "arrrrrgh" at one time or another. Every parrothead belts out the words to the second verse of Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate looks at 40" (Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late; the cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder, I'm an over-40 victim of fate, arriving too late, arriving too late."
You're telling me
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
AO Sig wrote:Everyone has a bit of Pirate in them; I don't know anyone who hasn't let loose an "arrrrrgh" at one time or another. Every parrothead belts out the words to the second verse of Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate looks at 40" (Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late; the cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder, I'm an over-40 victim of fate, arriving too late, arriving too late."
You're telling me

Buggery and scurvy, whatever floats your boat.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count