Koch Brothers fund Wichita State

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Koch Brothers fund Wichita State

Post by DrHullabaloo »

I am posting this because of the lawsuit and because they are significant donors to the newly admitted conference member which is in their hometown.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/05/u ... mason.html
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Koch Brothers fund Wichita State

Post by TUPF »

Even though I was a nuclear submarine commander I am probably one of the more socially liberal posters on YOGWF. In that vein I am usually swimming upstream every place I have worked.

I have adverse opinions about Koch brothers donations to any university having strings attached. I feel the same way if avowed liberal George Soros did the same. On the other hand most large institutions would turn themselves into a pretzel to justify receiving a multimillion dollar “donation”. How is this any different than large donations to political entities? I would say very little. Unless you are one of the rare band of altruists, you expect something for your money. It could be as simple as primo seats forever at the orchestra venue you just funded, or in this case, a quid pro quo for stances taken in the classroom.

A wise man once told me that any action you take must be able to withstand the cold cruel hard light of day, and the fact that Wichita State had to be pressured to reveal its major donors tells me they knew there would be blowback. Would it be enough to refund the money? Highly unlikely. Even Villanova had to do the two step when a DuPont donor later became a murderer.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

DrHullabaloo wrote:I am posting this because of the lawsuit and because they are significant donors to the newly admitted conference member which is in their hometown.

OMG no.... They were on the hiring committee for the chairs they funded and the think tank they paid for. Heaven forbid. If academia didn't make Stalin and Mao look like free market men maybe they would not have felt a need to want to have some input. It's not like the President of the University held political fundraisers in his house.... Oh wait that was Scotty and they were liberal causes so it's cool, right?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Even though I was a nuclear submarine commander I am probably one of the more socially liberal posters on YOGWF. In that vein I am usually swimming upstream every place I have worked.

I have adverse opinions about Koch brothers donations to any university having strings attached. I feel the same way if avowed liberal George Soros did the same. On the other hand most large institutions would turn themselves into a pretzel to justify receiving a multimillion dollar “donation”. How is this any different than large donations to political entities? I would say very little. Unless you are one of the rare band of altruists, you expect something for your money. It could be as simple as primo seats forever at the orchestra venue you just funded, or in this case, a quid pro quo for stances taken in the classroom.

A wise man once told me that any action you take must be able to withstand the cold cruel hard light of day, and the fact that Wichita State had to be pressured to reveal its major donors tells me they knew there would be blowback. Would it be enough to refund the money? Highly unlikely. Even Villanova had to do the two step when a DuPont donor later became a murderer.
Wichita State wasn't menioned in the article.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

DrHullabaloo wrote:I am posting this because of the lawsuit and because they are significant donors to the newly admitted conference member which is in their hometown.

I'm guessing it was too much work to do a bit of digging before posting on here. The main professor opposing the Koch money is awesomely progressive. Shocking, right? Good job on posting the Pravda hit piece. Let us know when you start complaining how the leftist progressive social experiments are ruining Tulane. OR just leave politics off of this forum dimwit. Leave it for your conversations with the other bubble dwellers.
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:Even though I was a nuclear submarine commander I am probably one of the more socially liberal posters on YOGWF. In that vein I am usually swimming upstream every place I have worked.

Wichita State wasn't menioned in the article.
You are absolutely correct. George Mason. Just goes to show you that when one is led to believe something that facts don’t matter. My apologies.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

How bout the students just go back to their safe space or cry closet or whatever and gtf over it. Academia wouldn't exist without the high roller donors, and if you think those dollars are string free, I've got some ocean view property for you here in Kansas, real cheap. This whole topic is probably way too political and let's just lock it now.
Last edited by gerryb323 on Sun May 06, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:How bout the students just go back to their safe space it cry closet it whatever and gtf over it. Academia wouldn't exist without the high roller donors, and if you think those dollars are string free, I've got some ocean view pretty for you here in Kansas, real cheap. This whole topic is probably way too political and let's just lock it now.
I'd vote to keep open so the OP can be shamed, but then again the OP knows no shame.
#cousins don't count
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Yet another thread that validates the sad state of the baseball program. Several posts on this thread and none on the conference game currently in progress.
Bring home da Wave!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

It isn't really worthy of protesting over. It's all pretty silly, actually.

If you disagree with the curricula, then you are at to the wrong school. Don't expect the institution to redefine itself to align with your way of thinking. If you want to be steeped in Atheism, don't go to Notre Dame, Oral Roberts, or Baylor. If You want conservative values, shy away from Berkeley. If you want progressive values, don't go to Liberty.

Universities are founded by people who have a world view that they want taught. They are thereafter funded by others who have a world view they want taught. If political views are important to you, and if you can't stand being around those who disagree with your views, then don't choose a college where you will be bombarded with ideas that rattle your self esteem.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:It isn't really worthy of protesting over. It's all pretty silly, actually.

If you disagree with the curricula, then you are at to the wrong school. Don't expect the institution to redefine itself to align with your way of thinking. If you want to be steeped in Atheism, don't go to Notre Dame, Oral Roberts, or Baylor. If You want conservative values, shy away from Berkeley. If you want progressive values, don't go to Liberty.

Universities are founded by people who have a world view that they want taught. They are thereafter funded by others who have a world view they want taught. If political views are important to you, and if you can't stand being around those who disagree with your views, then don't choose a college where you will be bombarded with ideas that rattle your self esteem.
Well stated, Roller. George Mason, however, is not far removed from being a northern Virginia commuter college so I guess the folks there had no predisposition unlike if you went to, say, BYU.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

If you want championship athletics, don't go to Tulane?

Sorry, couldn't help it....
Bring home da Wave!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

doncecco wrote:If you want championship athletics, don't go to Tulane?

Sorry, couldn't help it....
Just consider us diehards a little slow on the uptake.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

The part that I find interesting if you read the article is the impact on membership in the AAU being compromised.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

DrHullabaloo wrote:The part that I find interesting if you read the article is the impact on membership in the AAU being compromised.
ORLY? Care to share that quote?
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:The part that I find interesting if you read the article is the impact on membership in the AAU being compromised.
And Wichita State isn't in the AAU. For that matter, neither is George Mason.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
And Wichita State isn't in the AAU. For that matter, neither is George Mason.
Way to ruin it donkey butt
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

...and just four years ago I attended a Koch funded lectures at Tulane.

Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy