Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:16 pm 
Coach Level

http://www.theamerican.org/news/2018/7/ ... h=football

Story about Aresco's remarks at the AAC Summer Kickoff and Media Days. I really like Aresco and hope he can take us where we need to be. Roll Wave!!!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:37 pm 
President's Circle

I like the Jet Blue analogy and also the George Washington reference at the end. Aresco has been great for the league. I hope he can continue to push the envelope towards P6 status.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:08 pm 
Cornerstone

Since the "P5" designation carries with it an impression of "superiority," it is much easier for them to recruit top athletes. This color of preeminence slants the playing field against the non-"P5." I still cannot understand how this is not a violation of anti-trust laws and regulations. I've tried to get lawyers to tell me, but all I get is a condescending smile in return.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:02 pm 
President's Circle

Roller wrote:
Since the "P5" designation carries with it an impression of "superiority," it is much easier for them to recruit top athletes. This color of preeminence slants the playing field against the non-"P5." I still cannot understand how this is not a violation of anti-trust laws and regulations. I've tried to get lawyers to tell me, but all I get is a condescending smile in return.

8)

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:58 pm 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:

That's because you're not paying them

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:55 pm 
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:
Roller wrote:

That's because you're not paying them
Well, they ain't payin' me, neither.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 am 
President's Circle

AAC vs MWC for "G5" supremacy. From a MWC website which basically concludes they have fallen way behind and we are clearly the best of the non-P5 conferences.
https://www.mwcconnection.com/2018/7/25 ... conference

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 am 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
AAC vs MWC for "G5" supremacy. From a MWC website which basically concludes they have fallen way behind and we are clearly the best of the non-P5 conferences.

Without having read the article, I'd say the MWC was only viewed as on top years ago because all the other conferences were such a mess. CUSA was the only legit competitor in the non-BCS and had schools which could/should have been better, but were stuck with bad schedules, no TV money, and a clueless/weak conference commissioner. And frankly it was really only Boise State football buoying the opinion.

The AAC should be the no-doubt top G5 unless/until things change somehow.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:09 am 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Without having read the article, I'd say the MWC was only viewed as on top years ago because all the other conferences were such a mess. CUSA was the only legit competitor in the non-BCS and had schools which could/should have been better, but were stuck with bad schedules, no TV money, and a clueless/weak conference commissioner. And frankly it was really only Boise State football buoying the opinion.

The AAC should be the no-doubt top G5 unless/until things change somehow.

Agreed. Interesting it was such a fair look from the mountain west centered website. Obviously if you take part of a further BCS league and add good teams from another conference, that would hopefully be the best non-P5 conference.

Report this post