The American has Arrived!

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
MNAlum
Coach Level

The American has Arrived!

Post by MNAlum »

http://www.theamerican.org/news/2018/7/ ... h=football

Story about Aresco's remarks at the AAC Summer Kickoff and Media Days. I really like Aresco and hope he can take us where we need to be. Roll Wave!!!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: The American has Arrived!

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I like the Jet Blue analogy and also the George Washington reference at the end. Aresco has been great for the league. I hope he can continue to push the envelope towards P6 status.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Since the "P5" designation carries with it an impression of "superiority," it is much easier for them to recruit top athletes. This color of preeminence slants the playing field against the non-"P5." I still cannot understand how this is not a violation of anti-trust laws and regulations. I've tried to get lawyers to tell me, but all I get is a condescending smile in return.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Roller wrote:Since the "P5" designation carries with it an impression of "superiority," it is much easier for them to recruit top athletes. This color of preeminence slants the playing field against the non-"P5." I still cannot understand how this is not a violation of anti-trust laws and regulations. I've tried to get lawyers to tell me, but all I get is a condescending smile in return.
8)
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:Since the "P5" designation carries with it an impression of "superiority," it is much easier for them to recruit top athletes. This color of preeminence slants the playing field against the non-"P5." I still cannot understand how this is not a violation of anti-trust laws and regulations. I've tried to get lawyers to tell me, but all I get is a condescending smile in return.
That's because you're not paying them
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

windywave wrote:
That's because you're not paying them
Well, they ain't payin' me, neither.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

AAC vs MWC for "G5" supremacy. From a MWC website which basically concludes they have fallen way behind and we are clearly the best of the non-P5 conferences.
https://www.mwcconnection.com/2018/7/25 ... conference
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:AAC vs MWC for "G5" supremacy. From a MWC website which basically concludes they have fallen way behind and we are clearly the best of the non-P5 conferences.
Without having read the article, I'd say the MWC was only viewed as on top years ago because all the other conferences were such a mess. CUSA was the only legit competitor in the non-BCS and had schools which could/should have been better, but were stuck with bad schedules, no TV money, and a clueless/weak conference commissioner. And frankly it was really only Boise State football buoying the opinion.

The AAC should be the no-doubt top G5 unless/until things change somehow.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:AAC vs MWC for "G5" supremacy. From a MWC website which basically concludes they have fallen way behind and we are clearly the best of the non-P5 conferences.
Without having read the article, I'd say the MWC was only viewed as on top years ago because all the other conferences were such a mess. CUSA was the only legit competitor in the non-BCS and had schools which could/should have been better, but were stuck with bad schedules, no TV money, and a clueless/weak conference commissioner. And frankly it was really only Boise State football buoying the opinion.

The AAC should be the no-doubt top G5 unless/until things change somehow.
Agreed. Interesting it was such a fair look from the mountain west centered website. Obviously if you take part of a further BCS league and add good teams from another conference, that would hopefully be the best non-P5 conference.