ECU at #13 Va Tech (1120, ACC N) canceled/postponed due to Hurricane Florence
Tulane 24 at UAB 31
SMU 20 at #19 Michigan 45
USF 25 at Illinois 19
Lehigh 21 at Navy 51
Houston 49 at Texas Tech 63
Alabama A&M 7 at Cincinnati 63
Arkansas State 29 at Tulsa 20
Last edited by WaveProf on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: Week III (schedule, scores discussion)

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Several opportunities here for the conference to get some more "P5" wins. Specifically UCF and USF should beat UNC and Illinois given what we've seen out of those two so far. Houston has a real chance against Texas Tech, as well. Beginning the year I would've given Temple a shot against Maryland, but they've looked rough and Maryland has been better than I thought. Don't hold out much hope for SMU against Michigan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

UCF/UNC has been cancelled. Too bad for UCF, which misses out on another P5 win.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The same thing happened with Georgia Tech last year. Also stinks because if they run the table the record has one fewer game. It's the right call to cancel though
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Not that Nebraska would do this, but they had a game cancelled also and both teams have an open date that lines up...
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:Not that Nebraska would do this, but they had a game cancelled also and both teams have an open date that lines up...
That would br friggin' AWESOME
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ECU is probably gonna get canceled, and maybe Temple and Navy too...
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:ECU is probably gonna get canceled, and maybe Temple and Navy too...
Coast Guard Academy is playing
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:ECU is probably gonna get canceled, and maybe Temple and Navy too...
I’m sitting on the outer edge of Florence’s uncertainty cone but it’s already scrambled the local high school football schedule. My Friday varsity game has been moved to Thursday and the Saturday game to Monday. The Cat 4 winds get the press but honestly it’s the rain—now projected in the 24”+ range in the Carolinas, Virginia and Delmarva—that is going to be tough.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ECU-Va Tech is cancelled due to ECU informing VT they will not be traveling. VT wanted to wait another day to call it. Awkward
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Rankings and odds added
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

TUPF wrote:
I’m sitting on the outer edge of Florence’s uncertainty cone but it’s already scrambled the local high school football schedule. My Friday varsity game has been moved to Thursday and the Saturday game to Monday. The Cat 4 winds get the press but honestly it’s the rain—now projected in the 24”+ range in the Carolinas, Virginia and Delmarva—that is going to be tough.
Good luck TUPF! Will be praying for you and hoping that thing moves faster than they think. Went through Harvey last year and 40+ inches of rain. God bless!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Thanks! It now looks like the folks in places in the Carolinas, especially on the border between the two will bear the brunt. The MidAtlantic will get some rain but nothing bad.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Why does Memphis have “MSU” on the side of their helmets? They don’t look like the dreaded throwback uniforms.
Victory is never permanent
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

OGSB wrote:Why does Memphis have “MSU” on the side of their helmets? They don’t look like the dreaded throwback uniforms.
Memphis State
#cousins don't count
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

windywave wrote:
OGSB wrote:Why does Memphis have “MSU” on the side of their helmets? They don’t look like the dreaded throwback uniforms.
Memphis State
But why?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Houston is at Texas Tech but Fox is showing the MLB baseball game to the bitter end. 17-4 Somebody over Somebody Else.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Temple beat Maryland
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

All scores updated besides the two night games
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

All updated
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yup, blown call and the refs should be castigated.

As a high school ref I might add a couple of things. First, unlike what is written in the article it would be a stretch to call the refs professional. I’ll never be a college ref because I started too late but a few guys in my association are. One guy owns an appliance business and the other is a state penitentiary captain. They get paid a few hundred dollars a game plus travel money and that’s about it. No one below the NFL can truly be called a professional ref. We do it because it’s fun, because our personalities hopefully like attention to detail, and because it gets us out among a bunch of guys in a kind of delayed locker room camaraderie well past our playing days.

Second, this stuff is hard. It’s a rare youth, high school, or college coach who has even read through the rule book even once. No spectator ever has. Folks watch the NFL and now they think they are experts. I’m looking at some of you here on YOGWF :angel: . Throw on top of that the human nature to disbelieve what is right in front of them when it is something unusual and people make mistakes. My referee and I both blew a youth game call on Saturday because it was 4th and forever in punt formation and we were unprepared for a long pass and probably missed ineligible lineman downfield exacerbated by linemen at that level wearing any number they want.

In this play on Saturday it should be the umpire’s responsibility to note the first legal pass and then for both the referee and the umpire to know that a second is impermissible. The fact that it was on the other side of the field should not have mattered but it obviously did. A blown call for sure in a situation you don’t see every day. It’s like that business school presentation where there is a gorilla in a picture and half the class misses it because it was so totally unexpected that your brain discounts it.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Nice that Temple beat Maryland and USF beat Illinois. The Maryland win is quality, for sure. Shame UCF didn't get to play UNC and also that Houston couldn't follow up the Arizona beat down with a win over TTU.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:
Yup, blown call and the refs should be castigated.

As a high school ref I might add a couple of things. First, unlike what is written in the article it would be a stretch to call the refs professional. I’ll never be a college ref because I started too late but a few guys in my association are. One guy owns an appliance business and the other is a state penitentiary captain. They get paid a few hundred dollars a game plus travel money and that’s about it. No one below the NFL can truly be called a professional ref. We do it because it’s fun, because our personalities hopefully like attention to detail, and because it gets us out among a bunch of guys in a kind of delayed locker room camaraderie well past our playing days.

Second, this stuff is hard. It’s a rare youth, high school, or college coach who has even read through the rule book even once. No spectator ever has. Folks watch the NFL and now they think they are experts. I’m looking at some of you here on YOGWF :angel: . Throw on top of that the human nature to disbelieve what is right in front of them when it is something unusual and people make mistakes. My referee and I both blew a youth game call on Saturday because it was 4th and forever in punt formation and we were unprepared for a long pass and probably missed ineligible lineman downfield exacerbated by linemen at that level wearing any number they want.

In this play on Saturday it should be the umpire’s responsibility to note the first legal pass and then for both the referee and the umpire to know that a second is impermissible. The fact that it was on the other side of the field should not have mattered but it obviously did. A blown call for sure in a situation you don’t see every day. It’s like that business school presentation where there is a gorilla in a picture and half the class misses it because it was so totally unexpected that your brain discounts it.
Additionally, the first receiver was downfield a couple of yards, then ran back behind the line before he passed it. That should've been patently obvious, too.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

gerryb323 wrote:ECU-Va Tech is cancelled due to ECU informing VT they will not be traveling. VT wanted to wait another day to call it. Awkward
ECU and NC State announced they will play December 1st, assuming neither is in a conference championship game. Good way to salvage for both teams