Aresco Talks Playoff Expansion

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Aresco Talks Playoff Expansion

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Aresco Talks Playoff Expansion

Post by Big EZ Wave »

would be nice to expand. also reduce the number of bowl games.
The Tulane University of Louisiana
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Big EZ Wave wrote:would be nice to expand. also reduce the number of bowl games.

My guess is the existing bowl games would simply be folded into an expanded CFP as was done on a mini-basis with the existing four team bracket. Practically it's the same as neutral site bidding for various rounds of NCAA basketball tourneys.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Big EZ Wave wrote:would be nice to expand. also reduce the number of bowl games.
I would not care if there were so many bowls that every team could get a season-extension. The bowls are a business enterprise, and if they can offer a product that makes money, then so be it. I don't have a dog in that hunt, so I won't try to stop them.

If they can reach a deal that incorporates their show into a 16-team playoff, I'll be on the cheering side. In reality, though, expanding the playoffs should incorporate some of the "lesser" bowls and since advancing playoff teams play in more than one bowl, that would have the effect of reducing the number of bowls available "at large."

It remains incumbent on us to not merely "get to a bowl," but rather, "get to a good bowl that gives us prestige and a good paycheck." And if we do that, I could not care less whether or not a couple of 3-win teams were allowed to play the "Jack's Hardware Corrugated Roofing Tin Bowl."