Is Athletics Deficit Sinking U. of Tulsa?

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Is Athletics Deficit Sinking U. of Tulsa?

Unread post by Baywave1 »

This is heavy treading with an enormous amount of inside academic baseball from a Tulsa faculty member. Whether you agree or disagree with the core argument about university academic policy (and by extension politics), the author argues that it is the ongoing athletics deficit that is an existential threat to Tulsa. He asserts that it is Board Trustees that support this policy.

I post this for athletics funding angle being faced by another for another AAC private school. Instructive or not is up to the reader. It is not an under the radar politics thrust and I'm not seeking comments on that.

https://www.city-journal.org/university-of-tulsa
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Re: Is Athletics Deficit Sinking U. of Tulsa?

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

According to a poster on the AAC Board, Tulsa had 196 different majors for 4200 students. 59 majors were cut. 6% of the student body was affected (and they will be able to finish their majors.) If you read the comments under that article, you'd think that this was going to result in the fall of Western Civilization. That said, if it was my school, I'd probably see it differently.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

How is it even possible to have your LAW SCHOOL be a loss leader? That's by far the most profitable division at every university (except Tulsa, I guess....). Law school is expensive, scholarships are rare, and law alumni are often both financially secure and generous.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

GretnaGrn wrote:How is it even possible to have your LAW SCHOOL be a loss leader? That's by far the most profitable division at every university (except Tulsa, I guess....). Law school is expensive, scholarships are rare, and law alumni are often both financially secure and generous.
You made a bingo.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:How is it even possible to have your LAW SCHOOL be a loss leader? That's by far the most profitable division at every university (except Tulsa, I guess....). Law school is expensive, scholarships are rare, and law alumni are often both financially secure and generous.
You made a bingo.
Makes you wonder if Athletics is really a loss. If you can't donate specifically to the law school or Athletics then they can't directly measure what Athletics and the Law school get back in donations. I wonder if that is the case.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
You made a bingo.
Makes you wonder if Athletics is really a loss. If you can't donate specifically to the law school or Athletics then they can't directly measure what Athletics and the Law school get back in donations. I wonder if that is the case.
Agreed.