Looks like UConn is leaving and going back to the Big East

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: Looks like UConn is leaving and going back to the Big Ea

Post by doncecco »

Poseidon wrote:
I imagine ESPN knew this could be a possibility. Who knows maybe they even had the papers drawn up for UCONN.
Irony that ESPN was originally started to broadcast UConn sports. When the founder was told the satellite access rights are $35,000/month whether you are broadcasting only in CT or in all 50 states, he decided to go for all 50 states. The rest is history.

So if not for UConn, there is no ESPN, so maybe they owe them the return favor.
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:BYU does not fit in the AAC. Stay at 11. There's no clear school we can add which will increase league value, so do what the Big 12 did and stand pat.

Speaking of the Big 12's decision, has anyone heard if ESPN has weighed in? They just gave us this new TV contract and now one of the teams that they surely viewed as a large part of the value (especially with their East Coast bias) is leaving. Do they have an "out" clause? Does the conference payout drop? Or, does ESPN have a say in our thoughts of adding another program? Remember, they didn't like any of the Big 12's expansion scenarios so they offered them more money to not expand; I doubt we have that sway but it would be nice if that happened...
Pete, haven’t we discussed BYU in 100’s of other threads over the years? Just checking big guy!
You know, every time you try to make a joke about that, it further reminds everyone how you really don't know internet etiquette.

(and yes, there is internet etiquette and it's not based on snobbiness but based on not being horribly annoying to others)
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

In other words they can dish it out but they can't take it. :jerry:
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Report: AAC likely won't replace UConn, will go forward with 11 football teams instead
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... s-instead/
In other words, BYU and Army weren't interested
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Report: AAC likely won't replace UConn, will go forward with 11 football teams instead
Or we actually didn't want them due to the various reasons folks here have pointed out.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Report: AAC likely won't replace UConn, will go forward with 11 football teams instead
Or we actually didn't want them due to the various reasons folks here have pointed out.
Yes, seems 'not wanted' fits better here.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

read some stories that say UConn football may go the Independent route. I wonder if they have any players who may think they need to bail on the coming train wreck that we might be interested in?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Post by fearthewave »

For anyone interested, I interviewed Chris Vannini of The Athletic on my podcast about the AAC's next steps:

https://soundcloud.com/user-774038550/3 ... e-athletic

His summary: UConn FB is probably toast at the FBS level, and he would expect the league to stay at 11 rather than take a flyer on UAB, Southern Miss, etc. It's on iTunes and Spotify too if you're subscribed.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

sr wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Yes, seems 'not wanted' fits better here.
there doesn’t appear to be a school that would agree to join and add value to the league
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:BYU does not fit in the AAC. Stay at 11. There's no clear school we can add which will increase league value, so do what the Big 12 did and stand pat.

Speaking of the Big 12's decision, has anyone heard if ESPN has weighed in? They just gave us this new TV contract and now one of the teams that they surely viewed as a large part of the value (especially with their East Coast bias) is leaving. Do they have an "out" clause? Does the conference payout drop? Or, does ESPN have a say in our thoughts of adding another program? Remember, they didn't like any of the Big 12's expansion scenarios so they offered them more money to not expand; I doubt we have that sway but it would be nice if that happened...
Pete, haven’t we discussed BYU in 100’s of other threads over the years? Just checking big guy!
You know, every time you try to make a joke about that, it further reminds everyone how you really don't know internet etiquette.

(and yes, there is internet etiquette and it's not based on snobbiness but based on not being horribly annoying to others)
What I said was all in good fun. What’s annoying is that I am correct and you are so sensitive. The BYU thing has been brought up so, so many times. I was trying to make a point, but my real intent was just to have some fun with you. Mentioning BYU was part of this story and your take was right on point. You want some internet etiquette - I am sorry you and others are so annoyed with my takes and being repetitive. In the future, just ignore them, say nothing, and go about your business. Have a good day my friend.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

If we stay at 11, I'm curious how the schedules beyond 2019 look. I assume we will just end up playing our cross division mates more often. Kind of makes getting to the conference title game easier for the East if they keep divisions. I'm sure they will keep the conference title game for money reasons even if it is potentially detrimental to our NY6 hopes.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:If we stay at 11, I'm curious how the schedules beyond 2019 look. I assume we will just end up playing our cross division mates more often. Kind of makes getting to the conference title game easier for the East if they keep divisions. I'm sure they will keep the conference title game for money reasons even if it is potentially detrimental to our NY6 hopes.
I'm guessing just rotate through the whole conference. Would divisions make it easier out of the East? Instead of UConn, each team gets another West team. Seems like you'd want the UConn game.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:If we stay at 11, I'm curious how the schedules beyond 2019 look. I assume we will just end up playing our cross division mates more often. Kind of makes getting to the conference title game easier for the East if they keep divisions. I'm sure they will keep the conference title game for money reasons even if it is potentially detrimental to our NY6 hopes.
I'm guessing just rotate through the whole conference. Would divisions make it easier out of the East? Instead of UConn, each team gets another West team. Seems like you'd want the UConn game.
I think it makes it easier. 1/5 instead of 1/6. Conference balance will shift over time but the number of teams is the number of teams.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

UConn basketball can barely compete in the AAC. What a joke!
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Image
Coach Hunter perhaps the first person I've seen to fight back against the Tulane (and Tulsa) bashing that this UConn thing seems to have engendered. Love that he's spoiling for a fight.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
Yeah, like if our rotation had us playing UConn last year instead of Cincinnati we'd likely have had another win, won the west, and played in the AAC CG.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

the Conroy and MD teams were pretty irrelevant, but Hunter brings an energy, a sense of urgency and a combativeness that, if he can transfer that to his players.............will surprise a few people this year.

I'n glad he fired back.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

GreenieBacker wrote:the Conroy and MD teams were pretty irrelevant, but Hunter brings an energy, a sense of urgency and a combativeness that, if he can transfer that to his players.............will surprise a few people this year.

I'n glad he fired back.
Yep. Emblematic of the shift in attitude for the program as a whole.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

FTW, thanks for the link to the podcast. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

Excuse me for asking but does this also mean UCONN is leaving the AAC in baseball also?

If so, will they be replaced for baseball also? :?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

CletusRelm wrote:Excuse me for asking but does this also mean UCONN is leaving the AAC in baseball also?

Cletus, the Hartford Courant articles I’ve read said they are gone pecans for everything. Their discussion centered on just how they would join something else besides the Big East for football. Not sure where baseball ends up but it’s definitely not in the AAC.

As for AAC replacement for UCONN baseball, I assume that’s part of the larger discussions here.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

CletusRelm wrote:Excuse me for asking but does this also mean UCONN is leaving the AAC in baseball also?

Yes they are leaving in all sports. Seems unlikely they will be replaced for baseball unless we bring a new full member on board.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

Thank You (both)
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Conference call tomorrow with Aresco and all member school ADs.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -of-uconn/

Worrisome quote (bold emphasis by me):
Perhaps the AAC's biggest issue is its new ESPN deal that pays the league $1 billion over 12 years. With a membership of 12, AAC teams were set to receive approximately $7 million per year. CBS Sports reported last week that the ESPN contract contains language that allows for renegotiation if the AAC loses members.

Industry sources say there are few, if any, schools that could be added to the league that bring that $7 million annual valuation.
As I mentioned above, you know ESPN overvalued local school UConn and probably considered this move a huge financial hit to the value of their contract.