Looks like UConn is leaving and going back to the Big East

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Re: Looks like UConn is leaving and going back to the Big Ea

Post by TU77CAL82 »

UConn Basketball now has been given 2 years probation by the NCAA for violations that occurred under Ollie. Apparently, they're not good at cheating either.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

TU77CAL82 wrote:UConn Basketball now has been given 2 years probation by the NCAA for violations that occurred under Ollie. Apparently, they're not good at cheating either.
I'm guessing Ollie's wrongful termination suit is toast... I wonder if UConn can walk away from arbitration, now?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TU77CAL82 wrote:UConn Basketball now has been given 2 years probation by the NCAA for violations that occurred under Ollie. Apparently, they're not good at cheating either.
Only because having to play in the AAC brought their cheat game down.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

James Madison wants to move up to FBS and take Uconn’s place.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... e-aac/amp/
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

waverider wrote:James Madison wants to move up to FBS and take Uconn’s place.

Interesting campus; Interstate 81 goes right through the middle of the campus (just up the road from me- go right through it when I have driven to Washington). You can see the stadium on the East side of the Interstate.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

AO Sig wrote:
waverider wrote:James Madison wants to move up to FBS and take Uconn’s place.

Interesting campus; Interstate 81 goes right through the middle of the campus (just up the road from me- go right through it when I have driven to Washington). You can see the stadium on the East side of the Interstate.
and …
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

JMU is not the worst idea I’ve heard. It doesn’t come with a lot of those hybrid arrangements that a BYU would and all their don’t play on Sunday baggage. And JMU would actually want to be there, unlike a lot of the other “do I have to?” candidates. We’ll see.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I don't know why they would be any better than a CUSA or Sun Belt team
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

JMU is not a serious candidate. Like many schools in their shoes, there is no downside to throwing their hats in the ring. But before we would look to FCS there are several more capable FBS programs we would look at adding. Even within Virginia, ODU is in a better location and is already making the investments to improve their program. They, and any CUSA team, would gladly join the AAC, no questions asked.

By the way, while BYU seems unlikely, too much is being made of the Sunday issue. They would only join for football which makes not playing on Sunday irrelevant. The real baggage comes from them demanding a different payout structure because they think they bring more to the table than they actually do. That's why they didnt join the AAC back in 2013.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:JMU is not a serious candidate. Like many schools in their shoes, there is no downside to throwing their hats in the ring. But before we would look to FCS there are several more capable FBS programs we would look at adding. Even within Virginia, ODU is in a better location and is already making the investments to improve their program. They, and any CUSA team, would gladly join the AAC, no questions asked.

By the way, while BYU seems unlikely, too much is being made of the Sunday issue. They would only join for football which makes not playing on Sunday irrelevant. The real baggage comes from them demanding a different payout structure because they think they bring more to the table than they actually do. That's why they didnt join the AAC back in 2013.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

With our new media deal, unless there is a required compensation change, I guess I don't see the point of adding anyone right now (other than football scheduling gymnastics).
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
I'm guessing Ollie's wrongful termination suit is toast... I wonder if UConn can walk away from arbitration, now?
If that happens as a result of these ridiculous violations, Ollie needs new lawyers.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

Didn't go through this thread -- so long.... But has anyone mentioned N. TX? Cal barely beat them on 9/14.
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

Baywave1 wrote:Writer is on to something about internet presence and activity. ESPN (especially under Disney) is making a major migration expected to last decades to pay streaming. ECU succeeds in any potential AAC streaming analysis while Tulsa finishes dead last.

Meanwhile under streaming scenario both BYU and Army are very strong adds to AAC for football only. Not so sure about BSU or SDSU. Idaho is still sparsely populated. CFB generally doesn't make California hearts beat faster.
N. TX
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

PeteRasche wrote:BYU does not fit in the AAC. Stay at 11. There's no clear school we can add which will increase league value, so do what the Big 12 did and stand pat.

Speaking of the Big 12's decision, has anyone heard if ESPN has weighed in? They just gave us this new TV contract and now one of the teams that they surely viewed as a large part of the value (especially with their East Coast bias) is leaving. Do they have an "out" clause? Does the conference payout drop? Or, does ESPN have a say in our thoughts of adding another program? Remember, they didn't like any of the Big 12's expansion scenarios so they offered them more money to not expand; I doubt we have that sway but it would be nice if that happened...
N. TX
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

Poseidon wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:BYU does not fit in the AAC. Stay at 11. There's no clear school we can add which will increase league value, so do what the Big 12 did and stand pat.

Speaking of the Big 12's decision, has anyone heard if ESPN has weighed in? They just gave us this new TV contract and now one of the teams that they surely viewed as a large part of the value (especially with their East Coast bias) is leaving. Do they have an "out" clause? Does the conference payout drop? Or, does ESPN have a say in our thoughts of adding another program? Remember, they didn't like any of the Big 12's expansion scenarios so they offered them more money to not expand; I doubt we have that sway but it would be nice if that happened...
I imagine ESPN knew this could be a possibility. Who knows maybe they even had the papers drawn up for UCONN.

I don't think staying at 11 with uneven divisions is a good idea. Scheduling becomes very tricky unless you go with no divisions. The AAC members are on paper with a hard NO for nixing divisions.

About BYU...they certainly are not a geographical fit. However, they are a fit for what the conference needs most; name brand, they already have a P5 scheduling designation, and they don't have glass ceiling because of state politics like 99% of SB, MAC, and CUSA teams. So (as football only member)BYU doesn't fit geographically, but they fit otherwise. A plane flight from NOLA to Provo is about the same as one to Cincy, Philly, Annapolis or Greenville.

If we are talking BYU in all sports then I totally agree. That is a no go.

Bring BYU in for football and VCU(or the like) for all other sports move us or Memphis to the AAC East and call it a good day.
N. TX
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Regarding BYU, while it's more of an issue for eastern teams, Provo is only about 120 miles further from New Orleans than Storrs.
N. TX
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

GreenieBacker wrote:Poseidon, the baggage they bring, in addition to the Sundays thing, is that Network that they have as well as a certain arrogance that they bring. Might morph into what Texas has become in the Big 12. Which would be toxic for the AAC.
N. TX
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

GretnaGrn wrote:I think the AAC adds a football-only member if it's BYU (as stated elsewhere, many of their issues go away if they're football only). I don't see a great all-sports candidate; I guess Colorado State or Air Force come closest, but they have their share of issues. I think Army MIGHT work football-only, but I wonder if the AAC wants two service academy football-only members. If none of the above work out, I would rather stand pat at 11 teams, despite the scheduling and divisional issues that presents.

Unlike CUSA, I have confidence in Aresco to make a good move here, even if that move ends up being to not replace UConn right now.
N. TX
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Is your keyboard stuck or something?
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

charlamange8 wrote:I'd like to throw my $.02 in...I think the AAC has 3 paths here...

1) Take ODU (Norfolk, Virginia market) solid basketball, decent albeit c-usa football.

2) Take Army FB only & VCU all sports...Army football has, and will always have a national following and VCU is good at basketball. Also having Navy and Army in the same conference, with both usually being seen as a
"P5 equivalent opponent" by the other P5 conferences you upgrade the pedigree of the AAC.

3) Stand pat in football and add VCU in basketball, VCU basketball will get you the Richmond, VA market.

A couple of longshots to consider:

Add Air Force, BSU, BYU, CSU and SDSU; go to 16 team conference with four scheduling pods. You play the four teams in your pod every year and rotate the other 3 in football. At this point we are truly a P6 and can demand a seat at the table and no one would be able to say otherwise.

Pods
POD1 - SDSU, BSU, CSU & BYU
POD2 - Air Force, Tulsa, SMU, Houston
POD3 - Tulane, Memphis, UCF, USF
POD4 - Navy, ECU, Temple, Cincy

Pod format cuts down on travel costs, and builds rivalries. Top two records out of the PODS meets in the championship. Also this could work with two pods...

Add BYU for Football only and VCU for all sports...increases football brand, d&*n the travel, and basketball brand as well.

If we had to add a c-usa/SB program I think 1st - ODU, 2nd - Georgia Southern, 3rd - Marshall, distant 4th usm
NEVER ull or la tech, they suck.
N. TX
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

We shouldn’t even consider north texas
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

MattK wrote:Is your keyboard stuck or something?
N. TX
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

DCGreenie wrote:
MattK wrote:Is your keyboard stuck or something?
N. TX
Fair answer. :-D

They also lost to SMU by 3tds the week before that cal game