Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:40 pm 
President's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
We shouldn’t even consider north texas

Imagine being magically whisked away to...Denton. Hi... I'm in... Denton.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:02 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Denton, New Orleans; hard to separate the two towns, they are so much alike... :roll: (yes, this should be purple for those who have difficulty identifying overtly blatant sarcasm)

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:07 pm 
Cornerstone

N. Tx.? How about Nicholls State or UNO?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:

The heart of happiness!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:59 am 
Breaker Level

charlamange8 wrote:
I'd like to throw my $.02 in...I think the AAC has 3 paths here...

1) Take ODU (Norfolk, Virginia market) solid basketball, decent albeit c-usa football.

2) Take Army FB only & VCU all sports...Army football has, and will always have a national following and VCU is good at basketball. Also having Navy and Army in the same conference, with both usually being seen as a
"P5 equivalent opponent" by the other P5 conferences you upgrade the pedigree of the AAC.

3) Stand pat in football and add VCU in basketball, VCU basketball will get you the Richmond, VA market.

A couple of longshots to consider:

Add Air Force, BSU, BYU, CSU and SDSU; go to 16 team conference with four scheduling pods. You play the four teams in your pod every year and rotate the other 3 in football. At this point we are truly a P6 and can demand a seat at the table and no one would be able to say otherwise.

Pods
POD1 - SDSU, BSU, CSU & BYU
POD2 - Air Force, Tulsa, SMU, Houston
POD3 - Tulane, Memphis, UCF, USF
POD4 - Navy, ECU, Temple, Cincy

Pod format cuts down on travel costs, and builds rivalries. Top two records out of the PODS meets in the championship. Also this could work with two pods...

Add BYU for Football only and VCU for all sports...increases football brand, d&*n the travel, and basketball brand as well.

If we had to add a c-usa/SB program I think 1st - ODU, 2nd - Georgia Southern, 3rd - Marshall, distant 4th usm
NEVER ull or la tech, they suck.

I like the POD idea. This is the type of blue-ocean, market disrupting strategy that the AAC needs. Instead of just taking the best two records, I'd take the best team in every pod and have a seeded semi-final on the last week of the regular season. What if.. the final week prior to the conference championship was entirely based on match ups. Top 4 teams are the playoff teams, then 5 plays 6, 7 plays 8, and so on (avoiding repeat match-ups). Could make for good games and good tv across the board. Sure this would create a hosting and travel challenge, but we already have a team hosting a championship on 1-week notice. Now you'd have 8 teams hosting a game on 1 week notice. If that's a potential deal-breaker, do not schedule any conference games on the penultimate week. If a team wants to use that as a bye or try to schedule an out of conference game they could do so. The conference standings would be finalized giving everyone an extra week to prepare for the flex week finale.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:02 am 
President's Circle

Bill C. of SP+ fame has been a proponent of pods for all conferences for a while now.

https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/15/20734585/college-football-divisions-pod-system

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:36 am 
Breaker Level

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Bill C. of SP+ fame has been a proponent of pods for all conferences for a while now.

https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/15/20734585/college-football-divisions-pod-system

I like it!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:50 am 
Emerald Circle

Leaving the last week open is undoable, you cant schedule non-con if you might not be able to play it (if you make the conference playoff). And no one wants to give up their bye.

The seeding thing is more doable, but you still run into problems for teams that "need" a certain number of home games, and then can't fulfill it.

Meanwhile, I doubt the NCAA would ever approve a playoff within a conference, especially not if it is a G5 conference asking.

Three good reasons this can't happen, and shouldn't IMO

That said, I'm not opposed to using pods for scheduling purposes. But you have to get it down to 2 teams for the championship via the regular season

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:43 pm 
Regent's Circle

Aresco says AAC received waiver to play championship game without adding 12th team

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:41 am 
Coach Level

gerryb323 wrote:
Aresco says AAC received waiver to play championship game without adding 12th team

The waiver is for two years only. Unless there is a rule change, adding a new member is probably likely.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:52 am 
Regent's Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

The waiver is for two years only. Unless there is a rule change, adding a new member is probably likely.

Some internet spitballing that instead a team might be kicked off the island. AAC then goes to ten like Big XII and plays round robin. I'll be surprised about a Survivor tactic but there is a history of both Temple being booted from BE and UMass from MAC so I guess it's out there as a potential solution to all this.

Let's just say I hope Fritz stays and Hunter can do his thing quickly.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:32 am 
Emerald Circle

If that really were to happen, I am confident we will not be the team. Our football program is not the utter drag it was when they took us in the first place, and everyone wants a trip to New Orleans.

I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out a nice exit strategy for Navy. They have the best chance of surviving independently and I have to wonder what the travel costs for their non-revenue sports look like with respect to their budget. I would think the other outliers would be Tulsa or ECU. But there's also a chance that UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, or SMU (I'm thinking a combo of performance plus TV market) gets taken by a P5, were one to reconsider expansion.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:38 pm 
President's Circle

The Big 12 has the same waiver. I don't know if they have to re-up it every so often or if they have it in perpetuity. The Sun Belt also has a waiver for a ten team league.

UMass for the MAC and Idaho and NMSU for the Sun Belt weren't forced out of their conferences. They signed on as short term members for effectively a trial run at the end of which the circumstances did not warrant their continued involvement. Temple from the Big East is the only example I know of of a conference actually forcing out a permanent member.

While the AAC may choose to add a team or teams, I see 0 chance of the league itself forcing anyone out. Teams could choose to leave like UConn or get scooped by a P5, but that's a different story.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:04 pm 
Coach Level

Aresco used the contraction scenario as part of the league's argument for the waiver, but I don't believe that forcing a school out is being considered at all. The Big 12 does not have a waiver. The rule was changed to allow a conference to have a championship game if the league plays a round robin schedule, which the Big 12 does. The American would have to play a 10 game league schedule to fit the rule.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:14 pm 
President's Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Aresco used the contraction scenario as part of the league's argument for the waiver, but I don't believe that forcing a school out is being considered at all. The Big 12 does not have a waiver. The rule was changed to allow a conference to have a championship game if the league plays a round robin schedule, which the Big 12 does. The American would have to play a 10 game league schedule to fit the rule.

Thanks for the clarification, which also explains the Sun Belt. That seems like a pretty arbitrary rule that the NCAA would have to consider changing again if pressed. Why is playing everyone intrinsically better than 10/11? In fact, the Big 12 championship will always be a repeat game while in our league the championship could end up being two teams unbeaten in conference settling who is best. It's unlikely, but that's cleaner than what the Big 12 does.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:58 pm 
President's Circle

From what I undestand contraction only comes into play if the waiver is only for a couple of years and ESPN isn't comfortable with who is being added. Aresco has no desire at all to drop anyone, but the TV contract come in jeapoadry and ESPN says drop Navy(CBSSports team mainly) then the AAC does it without it affecting much.

Honestly if that is the case then I am fine with it. I am not a big fan of Navy being int he conference anyway. I think the AAC is outgrowing Navy. The more cohesive the conference gets the more they stick out. Frankly they care as much or more about their non-conference series with Army-USAFA-Notre Dame than they do about conference games. I don't think that is beneficial to the league. That is no disrespect to them. They are a special school that belongs among the independents like Army. We can still play them non-con if we like.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

Having a non conference game you care more about than conference games is neither unusual nor a detriment---think SouthCarolina-Clemson, FSU-Florida, Texas-TexasA&M (until defunct), Kentucky-Louisville, Georgia-GT, Utah-BYU, Colorado-Colorado St, Pitt-Penn St, Iowa-Iowa St.

Having THREE such games is more unusual and at least potentially more detrimental. And that is the case with Navy.

That said, on the whole, I still think Navy adds more to the conference than it subtracts. And I think kicking a school out is bad precedent all around. I'd rather add than subtract.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:56 pm 
President's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Having a non conference game you care more about than conference games is neither unusual nor a detriment---think SouthCarolina-Clemson, FSU-Florida, Texas-TexasA&M (until defunct), Kentucky-Louisville, Georgia-GT,.

Having THREE such games is more unusual and at least potentially more detrimental. And that is the case with Navy.

That said, on the whole, I still think Navy adds more to the conference than it subtracts. And I think kicking a school out is bad precedent all around. I'd rather add than subtract.

I agree. If they weren't in the conference and we were looking to expand they would still probably be the best available. That is how thin it is at the moment. The pool of what is out there is truly mediocre. There isn't even a school we can hold our nose and accept for football because their basketball is really good.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8