Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:03 am 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Since the whole "4 games before redshirting" thing has gone off the sensible tracks into la-la land, here's a question: why couldn't Tune play 4 games and then also redshirt (since they've already thrown away the season), let their 3rd string guy play the rest, and then Tune saves another year as well? In other words, if you're gonna throw away a season, why not go all-in on it?

(disclaimer: I have not looked to see if Tune already redshirted and whether that's possible, so if he did, just consider this a hypothetical)
Cuz Tune would have to agree to that and he'd probably want to play the other games instead? (I also do not know if he's previously redshirted)

Sure, but Holgerson says he wants everyone to redshirt and to be as experienced as possible, so why not get him four games with first string and then just practice the rest of the year and gain that experience? Heck, pick all the biggest games for him to play so he gets "big game" experience.

I'm just spitballing crazy, selfish thoughts since "crazy and selfish" seems to be the whole trend here.
Again, because Tune would have to agree to it. Forcing your starting QB to redshirt against his will isn't going to go over very well on the recruiting trail.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement with you. But this whole thing is just bat-s**t crazy and if Holgerson thinks they are gonna be much better next year (which is what he's selling King and Corbin), then why not sell it to Tune? "Pssst, here's a secret: King's not actually coming back, and I'm just covering my *ss in the media, so why don't you redshirt as well and next year you'll have 4 more games of experience and be the starter from day one."

I agree that this is either going to completely throw this rule into chaos (though not likely because Houston isn't a big enough program to distress the NCAA), or it's just going to destroy Houston's football program for a few years until Fertitta sucks it up and uses the money he had allocated to Holgerson's contract as a means to buy out his buddy's contract. <----- EDIT: LG, you beat me to this by a second...

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:24 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Since the whole "4 games before redshirting" thing has gone off the sensible tracks into la-la land, here's a question: why couldn't Tune play 4 games and then also redshirt (since they've already thrown away the season), let their 3rd string guy play the rest, and then Tune saves another year as well? In other words, if you're gonna throw away a season, why not go all-in on it?

(disclaimer: I have not looked to see if Tune already redshirted and whether that's possible, so if he did, just consider this a hypothetical)
Cuz Tune would have to agree to that and he'd probably want to play the other games instead? (I also do not know if he's previously redshirted)

Sure, but Holgerson says he wants everyone to redshirt and to be as experienced as possible, so why not get him four games with first string and then just practice the rest of the year and gain that experience? Heck, pick all the biggest games for him to play so he gets "big game" experience.

I'm just spitballing crazy, selfish thoughts since "crazy and selfish" seems to be the whole trend here.
Again, because Tune would have to agree to it. Forcing your starting QB to redshirt against his will isn't going to go over very well on the recruiting trail.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement with you. But this whole thing is just bat-s**t crazy and if Holgerson thinks they are gonna be much better next year (which is what he's selling King and Corbin), then why not sell it to Tune? "Pssst, here's a secret: King's not actually coming back, and I'm just covering my *ss in the media, so why don't you redshirt as well and next year you'll have 4 more games of experience and be the starter from day one."

I agree that this is either going to completely throw this rule into chaos (though not likely because Houston isn't a big enough program to distress the NCAA), or it's just going to destroy Houston's football program for a few years until Fertitta sucks it up and uses the money he had allocated to Holgerson's contract as a means to buy out his buddy's contract. <----- EDIT: LG, you beat me to this by a second...
I don't think this will throw the rule into chaos. Again this is the same think McCleskey did (and Kelly Bryant, for that matter). Saying they are coming back gets everyone off of their backs and is also convenient for Holgorsen. Holgorsen does not care about Tune's redshirt senior season three years from now, he is best served by getting Tune as many reps as he can...he'll be better next year if he plays 8 or 9 games this year than if he plays 4. This whole thing is getting a little hysterical.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:25 pm 
Coach Level

Note to any recruits considering the U of H: Coach Willie Fritz will never quit on you.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:37 pm 
President's Circle

CT Wave wrote:
Note to any recruits considering the U of H: Coach Willie Fritz will never quit on you.

Holgorsen quit on UH??

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:03 pm 
President's Circle

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27694260/redshirting-qb-king-says-staying-houston

We'Re NoT tHrOwInG iN tHe ToWeL oN oUr SeAsOn

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:22 pm 
Regent's Circle

Corbin can drop a game winning TD against us next year too!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:17 pm 
President's Circle

I like how Holgorsen lays out this strategy as to how you win championships considering both he and I have the same number of championships as head coaches in college football

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:24 pm 
Breaker Level

I wonder if there's a chance he could change positions to improve his draft position ala Braxton Miller at Ohio State. Miller was Big Ten quarterback of the year in 2012 and 2013. He missed the 2014 season with a shoulder injury (which certainly may have contributed to the position change) and came back as a receiver in 2015.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:06 am 
Regent's Circle

Dana H.: Do you believe me or your lying eyes?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -redshirts

Yes, He spoke to multiple seniors about doing it and others might join King and Corbin.

I find this incredible but I guess as noted by others Tulane now has the ultimate scalp. It now not only is a coach killer; it is a team killer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:47 am 
Emerald Circle

Only way they go back to UH is if they dont have better offers.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:14 am 
Emerald Circle

Johnny4 wrote:
I wonder if there's a chance he could change positions to improve his draft position ala Braxton Miller at Ohio State. Miller was Big Ten quarterback of the year in 2012 and 2013. He missed the 2014 season with a shoulder injury (which certainly may have contributed to the position change) and came back as a receiver in 2015.
This is the only thing that would make sense to me, though it wouldn't apply to Corbin.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:23 pm 
Coach Level

ml wave wrote:
Johnny4 wrote:
This is the only thing that would make sense to me, though it wouldn't apply to Corbin.

I had the same thought. Sorry, but D'Eriq is not an NFL QB. Could perhaps make it at another position.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:14 am 
Regent's Circle

Houston offensive lineman Justin Murphy blasts Holgorsen on Twitter. Not a good look.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... er-thread/

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:15 am 
Regent's Circle

Not a good look for Holgorsen, you mean. Murphy at least has some character.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:27 am 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Houston offensive lineman Justin Murphy blasts Holgorsen on Twitter. Not a good look.

So, um.... applies to both King and Holgerson, eh?
PeteRasche wrote:
Man, can you imagine how he'd be treated by the graduating seniors who he'd basically be abandoning this year?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:30 am 
Regent's Circle

Sophandros wrote:

Correct

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:29 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

PeteRasche wrote:
Man, can you imagine how he'd be treated by the graduating seniors who he'd basically be abandoning this year?

King basically took his coach's offer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:35 am 
President's Circle

Sophandros wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

PeteRasche wrote:

King basically took his coach's offer.

Maybe it was a strong-@ss offer

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:24 am 
Emerald Circle

Sophandros wrote:

This. Murphy looks mildly ok here. It makes King look SLIGHTLY better It’s a very, very bad look for Holgerson.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:41 am 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Sophandros wrote:

This. Murphy looks mildly ok here. It makes King look SLIGHTLY better It’s a very, very bad look for Holgerson.

Looks to me like King bought what Holgorsen is selling, for whatever reason.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:58 am 
Regent's Circle

Just saying.

Sophandros wrote:
I get sitting out in order to avoid injury if you are fairly certain you're going to be a high draft pick. There's precedent for that. I get sitting out in order to take the redshirt this year because you're going to transfer so that you don't lose a year of eligibility.

But to sit the year out in order to wait until next year at the same school? The only way this works is if the coaches instructed these guys to do this so that they can have a more secure job next year with quality players they know and trust. And in that case, it's a sign that the coaching staff has given up on this season, which would basically require the AD and others to be on board with the decision. Mind you, if this is somehow the case, it is still a very crappy thing to do to the other ≈80 scholarship players plus walk-ons who have been putting in a ton of work this season.

This tactic calls into question the character of everyone involved.

I called it that this was Holgorsen's idea.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:00 am 
Emerald Circle

Soph, I was just looking back through this thread and I almost quoted that and reposted it as well. Totally agree.

So I have not looked, but I'm curious - and it may be too early to really tell anyway - but has there been any noticeable change to Houston's recruiting class since this whole thing went down? Like, did anyone decommit (easiest to spot)? Or were they getting good commitments and suddenly there have not been any since? Of course, if it's been a dead period or whatever, we won't know until later. Just curious if this will have any effect.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:18 am 
Cornerstone

I think the King redshirting angle is a cover story to save face for Holgorsen and Fertitta in the short term. Maybe King will come back. It’s very possible he does not. Then the crap hits the fan.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:33 am 
Coach Level

It's a save the face situation. It was initiated by KIng and his father.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:06 am 
Navigator Level

There are always two sides to a story, but if true no eye contact and only saying 13 words to a player. That's Grade A a$$hole.
Contrast that to our coach.

WF said recently: if you treat people fairly they will run through a wall for you.

Think about the two McMillan/Fritz post game encounters this year:
the video after the FIU game the week McM's grandfather died:
https://tribwgno.files.wordpress.com/20 ... &strip=all

And the iconic pic after the Houston win:
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/9/ ... llie-fritz

Last edited by 1401973 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next