Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22213
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Boca Raton Bowl
Dec 21, 230, ESPN, Boca Raton, Florida
SMU 28 vs Florida Atlantic 52

Gasparilla Bowl
Dec 23, 130 PM, ESPN, Tampa, Florida
UCF 48 vs Marshall 25

Military Bowl
Dec 27, 11 AM, ESPN, Annapolis, Maryland
Temple 13 vs North Carolina 55

Cotton Bowl
Dec 28, 11 AM, ESPN, Dallas, Texas
#15 Memphis 39 vs #13 Penn State 53

Liberty Bowl
Dec 31, 450 PM, ESPN, Memphis, Tennessee
#21 Navy 20 vs Kansas State 17

Birmingham Bowl
Jan 2, 2 PM, ESPN
#23 Cincinnati 38 vs Boston College 6

Armed Forces Bowl
Jan 4, 1030 AM, ESPN, Fort Worth, Texas
Tulane 30 vs Southern Miss 13

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Last edited by WaveProf on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:25 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6805
Location: Wichita
Conference got some pretty bad draws, really.

_________________
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:15 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22213
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Lines added

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:43 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3927
Location: Greeneville, TN
gerryb323 wrote:
Conference got some pretty bad draws, really.


It's kind of what we have available. You'd love for a ten win SMU and a very good 9 win UCF to be playing P5 opponents, but we just don't have those tie-ins right now. Getting the Liberty bowl was a good break and then next year we have the new Boston Bowl vs ACC, but we really need to keep pushing for more good tie ins.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:55 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22213
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
The trade off is that we are favored in 5/7 bowls and could end the season with four ranked teams (even if Memphis loses)

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:35 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3927
Location: Greeneville, TN
WaveProf wrote:
The trade off is that we are favored in 5/7 bowls and could end the season with four ranked teams (even if Memphis loses)


As a conference we need to take care of business for once. We had a similar set up last year, and other than our win, Cinci beat VT by the skin of their teeth and that was it. South Florida got handled by Marshall, Wake beat Memphis, we know what Army did to Houston, Duke beat Temple and then UCF lost to LSU. It would be good to win as many P5 matchups as possible, but we dang sure better beat CUSA/Sun Belt level foes.

I'm kind of worried about UCF and SMU's motivation levels. They should both win, but they won't if they don't show up to play.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:56 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22213
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Ending the season nationally ranked for the first time in forever should keep SMU motivated, but they are only barely in the "should" win category, so I'm not sitting comfie.

UCF has a wider margin for error, but more likely to sleep. Although they weren't sleeping when they played us, nor when they played USF, and (other than the rivalry with USF) there wasn't any more reason to be fired up for those games than the bowl.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:08 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6805
Location: Wichita
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Conference got some pretty bad draws, really.


It's kind of what we have available. You'd love for a ten win SMU and a very good 9 win UCF to be playing P5 opponents, but we just don't have those tie-ins right now. Getting the Liberty bowl was a good break and then next year we have the new Boston Bowl vs ACC, but we really need to keep pushing for more good tie ins.

BC is a slap in the face to Cincinnati. I guess that's how the ACC lined up, but man the ACC is bad!

_________________
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:41 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6805
Location: Wichita
Not to mention the latest start time is before 5 pm and the "NY6" game for the conference is on December 28.

_________________
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:13 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 23165
Location: Cincinnati, OH
gerryb323 wrote:
Not to mention the latest start time is before 5 pm and the "NY6" game for the conference is on December 28.

While it's not New Years Day, it's a Saturday smack between the two holidays at Noon ET, which is a time when many folks will be looking for nothing more than lazing in front of the tube. Most kids' sports are off that weekend and you're either at home with nothing much to do (kids' new toys will have worn off their newness by then and they'll have settled into their new routine) or you are traveling and are already settled into the place where you are staying. Not really a bad spot in terms of eyeballs.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:19 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10967
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Not to mention the latest start time is before 5 pm and the "NY6" game for the conference is on December 28.

While it's not New Years Day, it's a Saturday smack between the two holidays at Noon ET, which is a time when many folks will be looking for nothing more than lazing in front of the tube. Most kids' sports are off that weekend and you're either at home with nothing much to do (kids' new toys will have worn off their newness by then and they'll have settled into their new routine) or you are traveling and are already settled into the place where you are staying. Not really a bad spot in terms of eyeballs.

It's also on directly before the two playoff games which is either good (everyone ready for football) or bad (how many are going to watch 3 consecutive games?).


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:33 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 22069
Location: Chicago
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Not to mention the latest start time is before 5 pm and the "NY6" game for the conference is on December 28.

While it's not New Years Day, it's a Saturday smack between the two holidays at Noon ET, which is a time when many folks will be looking for nothing more than lazing in front of the tube. Most kids' sports are off that weekend and you're either at home with nothing much to do (kids' new toys will have worn off their newness by then and they'll have settled into their new routine) or you are traveling and are already settled into the place where you are staying. Not really a bad spot in terms of eyeballs.

It's also on directly before the two playoff games which is either good (everyone ready for football) or bad (how many are going to watch 3 consecutive games?).


Have to get to the bar early to get a seat

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:35 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22213
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
So in slightly semi-relevant news, Kent State beat Utah State in a shootout in the Bowl we were destined to go to until TD got a 24th hour phone call after de-boarding a plane. If that offer hadn't come, or if TD wouldn't have preferred Fort Worth, we would have been playing Utah State last night.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:26 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3927
Location: Greeneville, TN
WaveProf wrote:
So in slightly semi-relevant news, Kent State beat Utah State in a shootout in the Bowl we were destined to go to until TD got a 24th hour phone call after de-boarding a plane. If that offer hadn't come, or if TD wouldn't have preferred Fort Worth, we would have been playing Utah State last night.


Would we or would we have replaced Kent St?


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:45 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22213
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
The tie in odd number years is AAC vs MWC and even number years AAC vs MAC. So my guess (not a certainty) is we would have faced MWC

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:25 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16713
FAU 28 SMU 14 at half.

Junior Diaz still playing for FAU.

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:36 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22213
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
I thought SMU would come out on fire, chip on their shoulder. This is more the look I worried about from UCF

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:50 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16713
WaveProf wrote:
I thought SMU would come out on fire, chip on their shoulder. This is more the look I worried about from UCF


Besides being without Lane Kiffin, FAU is missing several starters suspended for academics.

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:27 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16713
Classic let down. 42-14 late 3rd.

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:55 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 22069
Location: Chicago
OGSB wrote:
Classic let down. 42-14 late 3rd.


Image

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:17 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16713
52-28 final.

The announcers mentioned that Lane Kiffin visited FAU this week, decked out in Ole Miss gear. That may have put a chip on their shoulder.

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:49 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22213
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
From Gierry:
With SMU's embarrassing 52-28 loss to FAU today in Boca Raton, AAC drops to 14-22 straight up and versus the point spread in bowl games since 2014, the year #Tulane joined the league. But Wave is 1-0 in both categories.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:21 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 23165
Location: Cincinnati, OH
OGSB wrote:
The announcers mentioned that Lane Kiffin visited FAU this week, decked out in Ole Miss gear.
Well if that doesn't fit his fine reputation, I don't know what does.

Seriously, what kind of a-hole does that?!?


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:33 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 4141
FAU in 2019 was one of the most underrated teams in the country. They were outstanding most of the year.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:17 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 23165
Location: Cincinnati, OH
tjtlja wrote:
FAU in 2019 was one of the most underrated teams in the country. They were outstanding most of the year.
I think you are a little hyperbolic here. Literally, until beating SMU today, they did not beat a single good team. Sorry, but winning CUSA doesn't make you outstanding, it just makes you not horrid. The best thing you can say about them (before today) is they only lost to Ohio State by 24. Of course that was the first game of the year so OSU was probably feeling things out... And the following week FAU got smoked by UCF.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group