Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:31 pm 
Emerald Circle

Embarrasimg night for Boise too. That’s good for the AAC maybe, but overall it’s a bad look for the G5 taken in tandem w/ SMU

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:38 am 
President's Circle

SMU got straight up beat so this is on them, but this is a great example of why the conference has to find a couple more regular P6 tie ins. AAC ten win teams should be getting a shot at beating other bigger conference teams. If this happens against a good P6 team you tip your cap. It happening against a CUSA school is just a bad look

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:52 am 
Emerald Circle

SMU would have gotten smacked by a 7-5 P5 team too, and it would have been just as embarrassing

Also, realizing the strong edict put out by the P5 to try to stop playing G5 in bowl games (heck look at the arm twisting they did with the Liberty Bowl about four years back as just one example), it's pretty amazing we have as many P5 tie ins as we do. Aresco has done a good job for that. Would I prefer more? Sure. But this isn't a video game where we just pick our schedule at our desires. Aresco has had to trade in location, kickoff times/dates, exposure, all to get a couple of P5 tie ins (against 6-6 or 7-5 teams) and we are fairly lucky to have it.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:57 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
SMU would have gotten smacked by a 7-5 P5 team too, and it would have been just as embarrassing.

Maybe. Would you not attribute yesterday to lack of motivation? And there would be infinitely more motivation against any P5.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

If ending the season Nationally ranked for the first time in 30 years wasnt motivation then I don’t think a 6-6 P5 team moves the needle

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:05 pm 
President's Circle

FAU destroyed most of CUSA. They were underrated and have a lot of quality players. They lost two games to Ohio State and UCF in the beginning of the season. That really makes them a run of the mill CUSA team. Get over yourself. You like a pompous...

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
FAU destroyed most of CUSA. They were underrated and have a lot of quality players. They lost two games to Ohio State and UCF in the beginning of the season. That really makes them a run of the mill CUSA team. Get over yourself. You like a pompous...

They also lost to Marshall and had the most comically easy CUSA slate I've ever seen (though I fully admit I don't review CUSA schedules since we left). Yes, any team with only 3 losses eventually gets votes in the polls. But I'm not going to declare them outstanding.

If "respectful disagreement" causes you to call people names, maybe online forums aren't for you. Isn't the whole point of this forum to discuss opinions? Sorry mine doesn't agree with yours on this topic. I think FAU is a good CUSA team. That's a low bar, and we're very, very lucky to not still be in that trainwreck of a conference.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

I'm not sure that the one coming off as pompous in this exchange is Pete.

Did wavedom hack ttlja’s account?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:52 pm 
Regent's Circle

From what I can tell, he's telling Pete that Pete likes a pompous. I'm not really even sure that's a complete thought though

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:56 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

They also lost to Marshall and had the most comically easy CUSA slate I've ever seen (though I fully admit I don't review CUSA schedules since we left). Yes, any team with only 3 losses eventually gets votes in the polls. But I'm not going to declare them outstanding.

If "respectful disagreement" causes you to call people names, maybe online forums aren't for you. Isn't the whole point of this forum to discuss opinions? Sorry mine doesn't agree with yours on this topic. I think FAU is a good CUSA team. That's a low bar, and we're very, very lucky to not still be in that trainwreck of a conference.

This isn’t a discussion about a conference. This is a discussion about FAU’s football team this year. They beat a 10-2 SMU team yesterday by 24 points. FAU has a very good team, and was underrated.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
From what I can tell, he's telling Pete that Pete likes a pompous. I'm not really even sure that's a complete thought though

I think autocorrect got him...he meant Pete likes pom poms

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:07 pm 
Coach Level

WaveProf wrote:
I'm not sure that the one coming off as pompous in this exchange is Pete.

Did wavedom hack ttlja’s account?

And here we were agreeing on the fact that there was plenty of motivation for SMU and then you showed your pompous...

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:43 pm 
Regent's Circle

Trying to do something new for me (bring the threadjack back to the original theme)- UCF manhandled Marshall today, winning 57-19 in the Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:53 pm 
Regent's Circle

That darn Pom pom auto correct: it was 48-25.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:12 pm 
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:

Oops; sorry about that; I lost interest in the game, saw the other score posted by some overly zealous Knight fan...

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Oops; sorry about that; I lost interest in the game, saw the other score posted by some overly zealous Knight fan...

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:00 pm 
Coach Level

AO Sig wrote:
Trying to do something new for me (bring the threadjack back to the original theme)- UCF manhandled Marshall today, winning 57-19 in the Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa.

And ESPN switched to the pregame coverage of MNF early in the fourth quarter.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:04 am 
Regent's Circle

CT Wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

I remember another game where the coverage left well before the last play of the game (am I showing my age?)

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:27 am 
Regent's Circle

AO Sig wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

I remember another game where the coverage left well before the last play of the game (am I showing my age?)

David vs Goliath doesn't count. That was PPV

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:52 am 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

I assume you mean how ESPN felt it more important to show Peach Bowl pregame than the end of a non-BCS school going undefeated with a huge win in the Liberty Bowl?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:05 am 
Coach Level

The Heidi Game on NBC. Raiders v. Jets. It set the precedent.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:11 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

I assume you mean how ESPN felt it more important to show Peach Bowl pregame than the end of a non-BCS school going undefeated with a huge win in the Liberty Bowl?

DING DING DING

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:54 am 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
The Heidi Game on NBC. Raiders v. Jets. It set the precedent.

Sure, but I suspected (confirmed above) he was thinking of something that hit closer to home...

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:03 pm 
Coach Level

Oh I knew that. Was just bringing up where it all started. We all hoped they learned from that mistake but alas

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:37 pm 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Oh I knew that. Was just bringing up where it all started. We all hoped they learned from that mistake but alas

Learning from a mistake implies that you have recognized you have made a mistake in the first place...

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next