Emerald Circle

Frisco Bowl canceled

Post by OGSB »

Approved by Experts
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Frisco Bowl canceled

Post by PeteRasche »

I was going to post a list of the AAC bowl berths (having noticed that SMU is our first one, and also that so far we have a legit shot at going undefeated because nobody is playing anyone too good as of yet).

But now this makes me get more concerned about how "fragile" even our bowl is. We might do a great job like we've done all year and Nevada could get COVID and poof, no bowl...
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:22 pmBut now this makes me get more concerned about how "fragile" even our bowl is. We might do a great job like we've done all year and Nevada could get COVID and poof, no bowl...
Its the times we are in, Pete.

My daughter and her British husband were literally on their way to perform a few weeks ago in London's Wigmore Hall, the equivalent of our Carnegie Hall, for a hand picked group of socially distanced movers and shakers of the classical music world when the UK government shut everything down. Gown and tuxedo in hand, they were crushed.

We who follow the sports world have seen pieced together seasons and iffy games due to COVID mostly from our living rooms. Live music or theater performers have had almost everything canceled since March. My daughter and her husband each have had six figures worth of contracts canceled as have their peers.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:04 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:22 pmBut now this makes me get more concerned about how "fragile" even our bowl is. We might do a great job like we've done all year and Nevada could get COVID and poof, no bowl...
Its the times we are in, Pete.

My daughter and her British husband were literally on their way to perform a few weeks ago in London's Wigmore Hall, the equivalent of our Carnegie Hall, for a hand picked group of socially distanced movers and shakers of the classical music world when the UK government shut everything down. Gown and tuxedo in hand, they were crushed.

We who follow the sports world have seen pieced together seasons and iffy games due to COVID mostly from our living rooms. Live music or theater performers have had almost everything canceled since March. My daughter and her husband each have had six figures worth of contracts canceled as have their peers.
Yep, my brother is a freelance lighting designer and had his whole year of work cancelled, including a European concert tour and two US tours. It's a rough industry right now.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wish they were mechanical engineers... we are so slammed we are having most of our Christmas vacation pushed to sometime next year because we have too much work due in the next two weeks...

(not to make light of their situations)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:28 pm Wish they were mechanical engineers... we are so slammed we are having most of our Christmas vacation pushed to sometime next year because we have too much work due in the next two weeks...

(not to make light of their situations)
You are not making light. The pandemic is the ultimate unfair destroyer of some business but amplified promoter of other business. My daughter and son-in-law have always saved and invested assuming their careers could end quickly with an injury so they are better off than most and side gigs have kept them in the game.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:22 pm I was going to post a list of the AAC bowl berths (having noticed that SMU is our first one, and also that so far we have a legit shot at going undefeated because nobody is playing anyone too good as of yet).

But now this makes me get more concerned about how "fragile" even our bowl is. We might do a great job like we've done all year and Nevada could get COVID and poof, no bowl...
We should have SMU’s opponent on standby in case that happens.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

waverider wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:06 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:22 pm I was going to post a list of the AAC bowl berths (having noticed that SMU is our first one, and also that so far we have a legit shot at going undefeated because nobody is playing anyone too good as of yet).

UTSA will instead play in the First Responder Bowl at Gerald J. Ford Stadium on SMU's campus outside Dallas on Dec. 26 against an opponent to be determined.
Approved by Experts
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

OGSB wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:32 pm

UTSA will instead play in the First Responder Bowl at Gerald J. Ford Stadium on SMU's campus outside Dallas on Dec. 26 against an opponent to be determined.
They're really putting the first responder into the First Responder bowl this year!
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

ml wave wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:41 pm
OGSB wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:32 pm

They're really putting the first responder into the First Responder bowl this year!
Another advantage to our game being so early. Chance to put us in another game if something does happen
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson