Danny White to name UCF coach Josh Heupel as Tennessee’s coach

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
waverider
Emerald Circle

Danny White to name UCF coach Josh Heupel as Tennessee’s coach

Post by waverider »

According to Dan Wolken and others.

See my last post below
Last edited by waverider on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: UCF’s Danny White to be name Tennessee AD

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Maybe he can hire a coach that can bring them another championship of life.
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Preferably his UCF coach so they go into full rebuild mode next season :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I, for one, look forward to The Civil ConnTennT
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:23 pm I, for one, look forward to The Civil ConnTennT
Just have to schedule UConn, assuming they still play football, and they will gladly start the made up rivalry.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

(whispers to self) "Please hire Rick Dickson, Please hire Rick Dickson, Please hire Rick Dickson..."
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Per at Tennessee fan profile (@theuncommonfan) on Twitter:
Tennessee's new AD has agreed to retroactively split the 1998 National Championship with Tulane.

Not a great start for Mr. Danny White IMO...
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:40 pm Per at Tennessee fan profile (@theuncommonfan) on Twitter:
Tennessee's new AD has agreed to retroactively split the 1998 National Championship with Tulane.

Clever! That's gotta be a Tulane fan because 1998 Tulane otherwise wouldn't even be a blip in a Tennessee fan's memory and it would also be a clever commentary knowing White grew up with his Dad being our AD.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:45 pm
waverider wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:40 pm Per at Tennessee fan profile (@theuncommonfan) on Twitter:

Clever! That's gotta be a Tulane fan because 1998 Tulane otherwise wouldn't even be a blip in a Tennessee fan's memory and it would also be a clever commentary knowing White grew up with his Dad being our AD.
If you look at that profile, it could be a bitter UCF fan or Tennessee fan that doesn’t like the hire. A lot of posts almost sound satirical in nature and some take shots at Danny.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:18 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:45 pm

If you look at that profile, it could be a bitter UCF fan or Tennessee fan that doesn’t like the hire. A lot of posts almost sound satirical in nature and some take shots at Danny.
I'm just going by the thinking that pretty much the only people who remember Tulane was also undefeated in 1998 and would dispute Tennessee's title are Tulane fans...
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

I imagine two other fan bases remember: LSU and Tennessee. LSU cause they are tired of hearing their neighbors talk about it. Tennessee because those old enough to experience their NC season will remember the Tulane story/controversy being the same year. And yes, as a college football fan who had barely heard of Tulane before 98, the story WAS that bignationally
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

waverider wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:29 pm Preferably his UCF coach so they go into full rebuild mode next season :lol:
Looks like it’s happening. Danny White has called a team meeting this morning to presumably announce that Josh Heupel will be their next coach.

There is a plane reportedly headed to Orlando and the Vols fans on Twitter are not too happy as one person said to “send White back to Orlando on it” and another suggesting they “shut the whole program down” and that this is a “disaster”. I think they could have, as they have in the past, done worse.
Tulane Greenbackers

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Danny White to name UCF coach Josh Heupel as Tennessee’s coach

Post by gerryb323 »

hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

The mega-enrollment g5 state universities (especially UCF as largest) are best positioned to withstand winds of change along with BYU and perhaps Liberty which have resources to use college athletics as an evangelizing mission tool.

UCF starts (starts!) it’s budget process with its student fee assessments of tens of millions of dollars for athletics. It’s like SEC tv money. You can do a lot including finding a good HC with that in your pocket today.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 am
waverider wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:29 pm Preferably his UCF coach so they go into full rebuild mode next season :lol:
Looks like it’s happening. Danny White has called a team meeting this morning to presumably announce that Josh Heupel will be their next coach.

There is a plane reportedly headed to Orlando and the Vols fans on Twitter are not too happy as one person said to “send White back to Orlando on it” and another suggesting they “shut the whole program down” and that this is a “disaster”. I think they could have, as they have in the past, done worse.
Tennessee fans wouldn't be happy if they hired Belichick.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Heupel was probably the 4th choice for the job. White definitely kicked the tires on bigger names, but this is probably the best they could do given the time frame. If given time to sort things out, Heupel can probably get them back to respectability. But it's going to be a process and White's going to have to keep the booster wolves at bay for 3+ years.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

A lot of UCF fans were getting tired of Huepel (they think they should be winning 12 games every year). Also, his recruiting was not great at UCF, and dropped off, especially within the AAC the further you got away from Frost.

2018: 62
2019: 60
2020: 75
2021: 61
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

A writer added fuel to the anti-White/Heupel fire by mentioning that he only went “6-4 with the most talented roster in his conference” this past season.
Tulane Greenbackers