Terry Mojahir is new AD at UCF

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Terry Mojahir is new AD at UCF

Post by AO Sig »

Arkansas State AD has been named the new AD at UCF, according to the Orlando Sentinel. I don't know much about him, but figure some of you might e able to elucidate some information on this choice
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Terry Mojahir is new AD at UCF

Post by ml wave »

AO Sig wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm Arkansas State AD has been named the new AD at UCF, according to the Orlando Sentinel. I don't know much about him, but figure some of you might e able to elucidate some information on this choice
He seems to be able to hire good football coaches and the Arkansas St practice facility built under his watch is pretty ridiculous.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

From what I read he’s an offensive minded guy with his coaching hires reflecting that (except for the recent Butch Jones hire). I’d expect he hires a coach that can build on UCF’s offensive success with Gabriel.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Entertaining guy; always has something to say.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Reports are saying UCF is close to finalizing a deal with Gus Malzahn.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

waverider wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:44 am Reports are saying UCF is close to finalizing a deal with Gus Malzahn.
It's official. They have been successful, but they keep hiring guys they know will jump ship at the first opportunity. It will eventually catch up to them.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

They keep making good hires. Never settle for someone who'll stay. They are a stepping stone and they know it so they have taken the right path to success. They have the resources to be attractive.
There was an extra 9 in that percentage
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

wavedom wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:56 pm They keep making good hires. Never settle for someone who'll stay. They are a stepping stone and they know it so they have taken the right path to success. They have the resources to be attractive.
People get hung up on hiring the coach that will stay long term. Had we hired Rich Rod after Bowden then the next version of RR 2 years later and then every 2-3 years after that we wouldn’t be in the position we were in when Fritz was hired.
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Elaborated on in the carousel thread but I really dislike this hire. It doesn't feel like hiring an up and Comer with their eyes sat on bigger things to me. This feels like reaching for a big name who they hope will bring them more p5 respectability. It won't and at the same time they are getting a gus that doesn't have an innovative offense and doesn't have much incentive to really hustle.

Name me one p5 retread that's worked out in recent years? I can name a dozen that haven't.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

We'll know quickly enough if it's a good hire or not.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:02 pm Elaborated on in the carousel thread but I really dislike this hire. It doesn't feel like hiring an up and Comer with their eyes sat on bigger things to me. This feels like reaching for a big name who they hope will bring them more p5 respectability. It won't and at the same time they are getting a gus that doesn't have an innovative offense and doesn't have much incentive to really hustle.

Name me one p5 retread that's worked out in recent years? I can name a dozen that haven't.
Like their own Tommy Tuberville.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Could feel the fire through the phone- https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ ... story.html
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Its a good hire. Malzahns offensses are past their prime, butnhw is a good peogram guy and has fielded good defensive personnel. Thankfully they will likely no longer be the passing juggarnaut. This is will help Tulane in the fall. Had they took Lebby from Ole Miss they would have continued with the same offense, but it seems they are going to change a bit.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Malzahn is a solid hire and really good for the conference. He has never had a losing season and certainly preformed above average over an extended period in the toughest division in college football (the SEC West.) His fate was like Al Lopez of the Cleveland Indians in the 1950's. Malzahn's success at Auburn was simply lost in the Saban Bama tsunami just like Lopez had to combat the record run of Stengel and the Evil Empire.

Any hire has its yeas and nays but dismissing Malzahn as a "P5 retread" literally has no traction. (Excuse the pun!)

I'll be curious if he decides to return to his roots and call his own plays.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

He has said he'll call the plays.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:11 am Malzahn is a solid hire and really good for the conference. He has never had a losing season and certainly preformed above average over an extended period in the toughest division in college football (the SEC West.) His fate was like Al Lopez of the Cleveland Indians in the 1950's. Malzahn's success at Auburn was simply lost in the Saban Bama tsunami just like Lopez had to combat the record run of Stengel and the Evil Empire.

Any hire has its yeas and nays but dismissing Malzahn as a "P5 retread" literally has no traction. (Excuse the pun!)

I'll be curious if he decides to return to his roots and call his own plays.
Well he is literally a P5 retread. He's a fired P5 coach looking to regain his footing at a less prestigious job. You can argue whether that's good or bad (I think bad and am in the minority here), but that description definitely fits him.

He has called plays off an on even in the later years at Auburn. It's no question a very tough division to have success in and he had some good years especially early, but his last few years were carried by the defense. The offense was especially bad the last few years, ranking in the 60s or worse. This is why I'm not really convinced he's some kind of offensive savant any more, but maybe bringing in some of that defensive magic will help UCF return to double digit wins/AAC champs/NY6 status.

To Poseidon's post above - the expectation at UCF is NY6 or bust which is absolutely achievable for them. They will be fine with less offense if the defense balances that out and gets them to a NY6 level. But you also said Malzahn's weaker offense is good for Tulane, and I would just generally say a hire that's good for your opponents is, by its nature, not good for your team.

On edit - I did finally come across a P5 retread that has been successful in recent years. Sonny Dykes was let go at Cal, but has been very good at taking SMU to double digit wins. So maybe Malzahn can capture that magic, although Dykes did take a year off between Cal and SMU.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Skip Holtz is another. He went from USF which was in the Big East ,a BCS conference at the time, to La. Tech and has done well for them.