AAC in March Madness

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

AAC in March Madness

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Today will wrap up the remaining conference tournaments with Houston taking on Cinci in our league. Unfortunately, Houston is our only lock to make the tourney, albeit making it as 2 see is great and may set them up for a deep run.

Wichita St. Was trending as in on the bubble, but now may be in first few out territory thanks to an early exit in the conference tournament and some bid thieves in other leagues. So unless Cinci upsets Houston and also nabs a bid, we very well may be a one bid league. I think that would be the first time the conference is a single bid league.

While it's obviously not a good thing for prestige purposes, it also hits the league in the wallet because it means fewer NCAA units for the league which is how revenue is distributed from the tournament to the conferences. Units are worth something like 300k a year for 6 years and you get bigger shares if you make a deeper tournament run. For that reason, I hope Houston can do damage and that Wichita St. can sneak in.

It also stings that UConn is squarely in on the bubble.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Re: AAC in March Madness

Post by waverider »

Last I saw, Houston was up by 20 with about 14 minutes left. I know they won but I didn’t see a final score.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Houston a 2 seed. Wichita St.in a play-in game.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Glad we got 2 bids. Now they both need to win some games. No reason Houston shouldn't be in the sweet 16 and beyond
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Memphis was awarded a number one seed in the NIT.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:39 pm Memphis was awarded a number one seed in the NIT.
SMU is in the NIT as well, playing Boise State.

I heard talk this morning about the fact that some of the top seeds in the NIT are "fill-in" teams for the NCAA if there is a COVID cancellation, so the NIT apparently has fill-in "last out" teams as well. I don't know if any other AAC teams are on that list.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

It will be fun being a team traveling secretary this week.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:49 pm
waverider wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:39 pm Memphis was awarded a number one seed in the NIT.

I heard talk this morning about the fact that some of the top seeds in the NIT are "fill-in" teams for the NCAA if there is a COVID cancellation, so the NIT apparently has fill-in "last out" teams as well. I don't know if any other AAC teams are on that list.
This is accurate until games begin in the NCAA; after that, if a team has a COVID issue, it's a forfeit.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GretnaGrn wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:28 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:49 pm

This is accurate until games begin in the NCAA; after that, if a team has a COVID issue, it's a forfeit.
Yup. That’s why I said this week. I guess a traveling secretary has a little more structure once things start rolling.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

The deadline for a team to pull out is Tuesday evening. After that if they don't have 5 players it will be declared a forfeit.
There was an extra 9 in that percentage
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I'm not going to start a separate thread for the women's tourney since it falls under this header. AAC got two teams in as expected, USF as an 8 and UCF as a 10. That seems awful low for USF which was ranked all year and won both the regular season and conference tournament. I felt like they were a 5 or 6 seed.

Houston will be ahead of us in the WNIT pecking order. We should know soon if we were picked for that, which would merit its own thread elsewhere
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Wichita State tips off the second #11 play-in game today vs. Drake at 6:27PM Eastern/5:27PM Central on TBS.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Wichita St eliminated. 53-52.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:04 pm Wichita St eliminated. 53-52.
If you lose in a play-in game and no one is there to hear it, does it even matter?
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

I watched Houston win by about 35 last night while watching our baseball game. I missed who they will be playing next.
Tulane Greenbackers

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:37 am I watched Houston win by about 35 last night while watching our baseball game. I missed who they will be playing next.
They play Rutgers tomorrow night. Rutgers beat Clemson
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Houston was up early but is down at half 30-27. Would be very disappointing to be a 2 seed and not make the sweet 16 at least
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:05 pm Houston was up early but is down at half 30-27. Would be very disappointing to be a 2 seed and not make the sweet 16 at least
For those not paying attention, Houston is a 2 seed and Rutgers a 10
Tulane Greenbackers

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Houston claws back to win over a Rutgers team that led for all but less than a minute in the entire game.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:08 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:05 pm Houston was up early but is down at half 30-27. Would be very disappointing to be a 2 seed and not make the sweet 16 at least
Thank you for the clarification. Houston will be in the sweet 16 with a reasonable chance to beat an 11 seed Syracuse and advance to the elite 8. The conference has generally underperformed at basketball over the years so it is good to see the team advance, even if it was far from a dominating performance. Gotta win your clunkers
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

TUPF wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:22 pm Houston claws back to win over a Rutgers team that led for all but less than a minute in the entire game.
Rutgers was up by 9 (58-49) with about 5mins left. Houston finished on a 14-2 run to win 63-60.
Tulane Greenbackers

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Houston deserves a ton of credit. They played with so much guts and determination. Players obviously injured diving all over the floor.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:28 pmWould be very disappointing to be a 2 seed and not make the sweet 16 at least
You, uh, haven't been watching this year's tourney, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure we'll get bombarded with all the stats after Monday finishes out the first weekend (it's so weird that there are games tomorrow), but this has got to be the craziest tournament ever.

But kudos to Houston for representing the AAC well thus far.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:28 pm
Thank you for the clarification. Houston will be in the sweet 16 with a reasonable chance to beat an 11 seed Syracuse and advance to the elite 8. The conference has generally underperformed at basketball over the years so it is good to see the team advance, even if it was far from a dominating performance. Gotta win your clunkers
The 1 seed is out of their region as well, and currently 12 seed OSU is beating 4 seed OSU by 14 early in the 2nd half.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

MattK wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:22 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:28 pm
The 1 seed is out of their region as well, and currently 12 seed OSU is beating 4 seed OSU by 14 early in the 2nd half.
They play an 11 seed for the chance to meet either an 8 or a 12 in the Elite 8.

Of course for all the craziness, we could still very well end up with a final four that's all 1s and 2s. But that would mean Houston is in it, which would be good for the AAC.