Transfer Portal Eats UC Coach

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Transfer Portal Eats UC Coach

Post by Baywave1 »

MBB Coach on leave Rumored cause is too many players hitting the team reset button.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... estigation

Calling Pete for the real story.
Last edited by Baywave1 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Transfer Portal Bites UC Coach

Post by PeteRasche »

Well it's no secret that shortly after their season ended everyone went in the portal... I posted here about how they had no returning scholarship players left. Local news and sports talk guys made the assumption immediately that there was little chance Brannen kept his job, but there had only been silence until this news.

I'll see if anything new has come to light from my coworkers on Monday. But it's very well known around here that there was a big social media explosion when Brannen was hired because some former players were in the running and did not get the job, and some of those players' ex-teammates (and other famous alumni) made a stink about it. Because of this and because they have not performed up to some imagined "expectation" since Brannen took over, the discontent has only grown (nevermind they won the AAC in the COVID shortened 2020 season, they didn't "look good" doing it and players left from the Cronin era were not happy).

However, whether any of this is a reason for why current players suddenly all decided they were leaving, I don't know. Something must have happened in the locker room to cause the defections, regardless of Brannen's job security.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Athletic article gives lots of interesting details. Brannen is not a player's coach. They basically revolted when the half that hated him convinced most of the half that hadn't made up their minds to join them. Among other tidbits, medical staff had to order practices be halted because Brannen was jeopardizing the health of his players. No more Bear Bryant A&M summer camps in hell allowed.

As with all these things, a mediocre record this season only increased the heat. If you're going to act the b@stard, you better win. I guess Cronin's run with UCLA this year only roils some folks there even more.

UC is clearly using the paid leave angle to paper a just cause firing to avoid paying any significant buyout.

https://theathletic.com/news/cincinnati ... 9ofWShzhXl

https://theathletic.com/2496210/2021/04 ... es-emerge/

Behind a paywall.
Johnny4
Breaker Level

Post by Johnny4 »

UC Men's basketball coach loses 6 players to the transfer portal after finishing 1 game over .500, and he is placed on administrative leave.

Mississippi State's women's basketball coach loses 6 players to the transfer portal after finishing 1 game over .500, and she gets the AAC Freshman of the Year to transfer from Tulane :cry: :cry: :cry:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

The word I'm getting is there is no word. This has been remarkably hushed-up. None of the "insiders" appear to know anything... or else they absolutely aren't telling (which, in today's world, is unlikely).

There was a guy on the local news this morning that is very connected to the program and he was interviewed simply to say the same thing: "I'm not hearing anything, nobody seems to know what the real story is". Of course if he did, he's not going to spill it on the news. But still, it has been remarkably mysterious.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

UC fired Brannen today.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... on-program

Meanwhile Will Wade still has a job. Amazing.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Wade must have the goods on those that covered up the sex abuse cases. Only explanation.
Bring home da Wave!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Should think about changing the thread title to "Transfer Portal Eats UC Coach."
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 26294/Amp/
“Today I was notified that I have been relieved of my duties as the Head Basketball Coach at the University of Cincinnati,” Brannen wrote in a statement. “The last three weeks have been an emotional roller coaster for my family, our staff and our players. I am disappointed with this decision for a long list of reasons, but mostly because it was made long before the university even commenced its ‘investigation’ into the basketball program. I look forward to the opportunity to bring the true facts to light."
Ouch.

Brannen's attorney apparently shared a text Brannen had received from Luke Fickell last week, saying that the way it was being handled was BS... Pat Forde (among others, I'm sure) shared it... I'm sure the intent is to stir controversy but it will be interesting to see whether this causes the school to question Fickell's loyalty (doubtful) or puts even more pressure on the AD as the bad guy. (likely). Local media and social media have already decided the AD is the bad guy in all of this.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:34 pm Should think about changing the thread title to "Transfer Portal Eats UC Coach."
Done. I always defer to the best post in a thread.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Transfer Portal Eats UC Coach

Post by long green »

Ha!
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:26 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 26294/Amp/
“Today I was notified that I have been relieved of my duties as the Head Basketball Coach at the University of Cincinnati,” Brannen wrote in a statement. “The last three weeks have been an emotional roller coaster for my family, our staff and our players. I am disappointed with this decision for a long list of reasons, but mostly because it was made long before the university even commenced its ‘investigation’ into the basketball program. I look forward to the opportunity to bring the true facts to light."
Ouch.

Brannen's attorney apparently shared a text Brannen had received from Luke Fickell last week, saying that the way it was being handled was BS... Pat Forde (among others, I'm sure) shared it... I'm sure the intent is to stir controversy but it will be interesting to see whether this causes the school to question Fickell's loyalty (doubtful) or puts even more pressure on the AD as the bad guy. (likely). Local media and social media have already decided the AD is the bad guy in all of this.
sounds a little like the lsu situation in which the fans want to blame everyone except the people involved.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson