RIP - Jim Taylor - Legendary Tulane foe

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
doncecco
President's Circle

RIP - Jim Taylor - Legendary Tulane foe

Post by doncecco »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2497 ... -fame-dies

Too young to have seen him play, but heard he was the consummate hard-nose fullback, 4 yards and a cloud of dust.
Bring home da Wave!
Ray
Regent's Circle

Re: RIP - Jim Taylor - Legendary Tulane foe

Post by Ray »

Tough as nails for GB Packers ……….. RIP
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Maybe there will be more in depth stories later but Taylor died in Baton Rouge where he grew up and may have lived there much if not all of his fifty years of post retirement.

It is unusual that I did not find a single story that had any detail (literally) of his post retirement life including survivors from The Advocate to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel to the NYT. Maybe I just missed them. NOLA.com minimally quotes a Saints press release in its final paragraph that at least extends condolences to his wife "Helen and family."

I am not into gossip but this is like the Hound of the Baskervilles who didn't bark. Understandably stories should mainly focus on what made him famous (football at LSU and GB) but nary a whisper of the last fifty years of his life in multiple obits is to me bizarre journalism. I understand "Print the legend" ethos but still he didn't sit on his hands for five decades and he must have some family.

I guess Houseman got it about right and Taylor died with his fame in a Green Bay locker room after Super Bowl I and not fifty years later in a BR hospital.
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

Here is a little trivia. Taylor actually came to lsu from a JC on a basketball scholarship.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Kind'a thought he was related to Taylor Diving, but he wasn't.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Baywave1 wrote:
I guess Houseman got it about right and Taylor died with his fame in a Green Bay locker room after Super Bowl I and not fifty years later in a BR hospital.
With Max McGee, no less.

And for what it's worth - not journalism - here's all Wikipedia had on him post-career.

"Taylor became a successful businessman after his football career.[55] He was commissioner of the United States Rugby League in 1978 and attempted to start a 12-team competition.[67] He also maintained his physical condition well after his playing days; he participated in the Superstars competition in 1977[68][69] and finished fourth in 1979.[70] In 1982, Taylor did play-by-play with Paul Hornung for TigerVision, LSU's pay-per-view broadcasts.[71] In 2000, aged 65, he was jogging five to six miles daily to stay in shape. Taylor was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1989, but it was found to be dormant by 2000.[31] Taylor died on October 13, 2018, at the age of 83, at a hospital, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; no cause was given."

Some athletes and celeb, really shied away from the limelight, and he did so during a time when you could more easily, as opposed to today. Maybe there is more to it that meets the eye, but I certainly wouldn't assume it was anything more than personal choice.
Bring home da Wave!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

doncecco wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
With Max McGee, no less.

And for what it's worth - not journalism - here's all Wikipedia had on him post-career.

"Taylor became a successful businessman after his football career.[55] He was commissioner of the United States Rugby League in 1978 and attempted to start a 12-team competition.[67] He also maintained his physical condition well after his playing days; he participated in the Superstars competition in 1977[68][69] and finished fourth in 1979.[70] In 1982, Taylor did play-by-play with Paul Hornung for TigerVision, LSU's pay-per-view broadcasts.[71] In 2000, aged 65, he was jogging five to six miles daily to stay in shape. Taylor was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1989, but it was found to be dormant by 2000.[31] Taylor died on October 13, 2018, at the age of 83, at a hospital, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; no cause was given."

Some athletes and celeb, really shied away from the limelight, and he did so during a time when you could more easily, as opposed to today. Maybe there is more to it that meets the eye, but I certainly wouldn't assume it was anything more than personal choice.
They did the famous (or infamous, if you're an LSU fan) 1982 Reginelli game. Hornung was a lot more enthusiastic than Taylor. Wonder why?!
Plan your work, work your plan.