Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:43 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3438
Location: North Haven, CT
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25977156/ole-miss-football-forced-vacate-33-wins-six-seasons-ncaa-violations

My recollection is no.

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:52 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5461
Location: Wichita
doncecco wrote:

2012. 39-0 L

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:14 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
gerryb323 wrote:

Played them in 2010 as well

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:01 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3148
Location: Greeneville, TN
I don't think it really matters. Vacating wins is about the dumbest penalty the NCAA can enforce. The games were played and we know who won. The players and coaches who played in those games are long gone for the most part. It's not like retroactively altered W-L records truly impact them anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:36 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Image

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:06 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3807
Location: Marietta, GA
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
I don't think it really matters. Vacating wins is about the dumbest penalty the NCAA can enforce. The games were played and we know who won. The players and coaches who played in those games are long gone for the most part. It's not like retroactively altered W-L records truly impact them anyway.


Teams have to vacate any championships they won (take down the banner) and the coach has to change his W-L record. Other than that, I totally agree with you, it is meaningless.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:48 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 21106
Location: Chicago
It'd be nice if they gad to forfeit post season payouts

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:57 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21313
Location: Cincinnati, OH
windywave wrote:
It'd be nice if they gad to forfeit post season payouts

It would be, but what about hundreds of thousands, if not millions, in sales of "National Championship" gear that the school reaped when they won a title then had it vacated because they cheated? It's not like fans can return their shirt and hat and get their money back.

I agree with everyone above, it's stupid.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:07 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3438
Location: North Haven, CT
I never said it really matters, but it does change the record in the books.

But even that apparently is uninspiring. If both games were reversed (not clear if all games were by the article):


Toledo would be 5-7 instead of 4-8 in '10

and

CJ would be 3-9 instead of 2-10 in '12.

Like I said, not worth the thread, I started. Just was curious.

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 21106
Location: Chicago
doncecco wrote:
I never said it really matters, but it does change the record in the books.

But even that apparently is uninspiring. If both games were reversed (not clear if all games were by the article):


Toledo would be 5-7 instead of 4-8 in '10

and

CJ would be 3-9 instead of 2-10 in '12.

Like I said, not worth the thread, I started. Just was curious.


We don't get a win, they just lose the win

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 15045
windywave wrote:
doncecco wrote:
I never said it really matters, but it does change the record in the books.

But even that apparently is uninspiring. If both games were reversed (not clear if all games were by the article):


Toledo would be 5-7 instead of 4-8 in '10

and

CJ would be 3-9 instead of 2-10 in '12.

Like I said, not worth the thread, I started. Just was curious.


We don't get a win, they just lose the win


I’ve been wondering why we care. We retain the loss. As said above, it’s dumb (the idea of vacating wins).

_________________
“We want to win at everything”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:13 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5461
Location: Wichita
OGSB wrote:
windywave wrote:
doncecco wrote:
I never said it really matters, but it does change the record in the books.

But even that apparently is uninspiring. If both games were reversed (not clear if all games were by the article):


Toledo would be 5-7 instead of 4-8 in '10

and

CJ would be 3-9 instead of 2-10 in '12.

Like I said, not worth the thread, I started. Just was curious.


We don't get a win, they just lose the win


I’ve been wondering why we care. We retain the loss. As said above, it’s dumb (the idea of vacating wins).

I don't think we keep the loss, we just don't get a win. So Toledo was 4-7 instead of 4-8

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:02 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 15045
Quote:
Regular season vacancies
In the case of regular season games, the penalized team's win is removed from its official NCAA record. The losing team, however, retains the loss, and individual statistics resulting from the subject game(s) are not affected other than for players declared specifically ineligible.[1][2] These changes affect the penalized team's season records, all-time records and coaches' records. Thus for example, a team that was 10-2 during a season in which it fielded ineligible players would have its record revised to 0-2. Any team or coach streaks (e.g. wins, postseason appearances, team statistical streaks) are terminated. The NCAA prescribes that all records that are changed should be asterisked with the footnote stating something to the effect of “Later vacated by NCAA action.”


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_College_football/Vacated_victories

_________________
“We want to win at everything”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:04 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5461
Location: Wichita
OGSB wrote:
Quote:
Regular season vacancies
In the case of regular season games, the penalized team's win is removed from its official NCAA record. The losing team, however, retains the loss, and individual statistics resulting from the subject game(s) are not affected other than for players declared specifically ineligible.[1][2] These changes affect the penalized team's season records, all-time records and coaches' records. Thus for example, a team that was 10-2 during a season in which it fielded ineligible players would have its record revised to 0-2. Any team or coach streaks (e.g. wins, postseason appearances, team statistical streaks) are terminated. The NCAA prescribes that all records that are changed should be asterisked with the footnote stating something to the effect of “Later vacated by NCAA action.”


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_College_football/Vacated_victories

#themoreyouknow
#ifknowledgeispower

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:49 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3438
Location: North Haven, CT
gerryb323 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
windywave wrote:
doncecco wrote:
I never said it really matters, but it does change the record in the books.

But even that apparently is uninspiring. If both games were reversed (not clear if all games were by the article):


Toledo would be 5-7 instead of 4-8 in '10

and

CJ would be 3-9 instead of 2-10 in '12.

Like I said, not worth the thread, I started. Just was curious.


We don't get a win, they just lose the win




I’ve been wondering why we care. We retain the loss. As said above, it’s dumb (the idea of vacating wins).

I don't think we keep the loss, we just don't get a win. So Toledo was 4-7 instead of 4-8


well, that's even dumber.

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5461
Location: Wichita
doncecco wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
windywave wrote:
doncecco wrote:
I never said it really matters, but it does change the record in the books.

But even that apparently is uninspiring. If both games were reversed (not clear if all games were by the article):


Toledo would be 5-7 instead of 4-8 in '10

and

CJ would be 3-9 instead of 2-10 in '12.

Like I said, not worth the thread, I started. Just was curious.


We don't get a win, they just lose the win




I’ve been wondering why we care. We retain the loss. As said above, it’s dumb (the idea of vacating wins).

I don't think we keep the loss, we just don't get a win. So Toledo was 4-7 instead of 4-8


well, that's even dumber.

I'm dumb sometimes, apparently

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3438
Location: North Haven, CT
gerryb323 wrote:
doncecco wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
windywave wrote:
doncecco wrote:
I never said it really matters, but it does change the record in the books.

But even that apparently is uninspiring. If both games were reversed (not clear if all games were by the article):


Toledo would be 5-7 instead of 4-8 in '10

and

CJ would be 3-9 instead of 2-10 in '12.

Like I said, not worth the thread, I started. Just was curious.


We don't get a win, they just lose the win




I’ve been wondering why we care. We retain the loss. As said above, it’s dumb (the idea of vacating wins).

I don't think we keep the loss, we just don't get a win. So Toledo was 4-7 instead of 4-8


well, that's even dumber.

I'm dumb sometimes, apparently


I meant the rule, of course.

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group