Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: lsu basketball
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:54 am 
President's Circle

The NCAA let UNC off without any sanctions at all after their whole fake classes scandal. It won't surprise me if LSU lawyers up, stonewalls, and two years down the road gets off without injury.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:56 am 
Emerald Circle

Maybe Aunt Becky has been doing consulting work for LSU with the NCAA. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:29 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Pete, five players have declared for the draft. As you know, they are testing the waters. If not drafted, they head back to LSU, G-League, or Europe. Only one player is projected to go high in the draft, and possibly one more later in the draft.

I'm less curious about their players and much more curious to see if the NCAA actually does anything. I have a hard time seeing any way Wade returns to LSU but if the NCAA just lets them off with no sanction of any sort, there should be an investigation into that.

The NCAA just formally opened an investigation into Louisville yesterday. The Louisville stuff broke well before Wade's tape (the most recent one, anyway) so I'd guess there's quite some time before we hear anything.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

LSU just reinstated Wade... just... wow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:27 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:

Step two will be the NCAA announcing they've found no wrongdoing and closing the case.

I'm telling you, Alleva has compromising photos of Emmert.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:51 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Step two will be the NCAA announcing they've found no wrongdoing and closing the case.

I'm telling you, Alleva has compromising photos of Emmert.

we need ron burgundy to report this story.

Rabalais gave the heads up several weeks ago but even by LSU standards this is unbelievable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:42 am 
Regent's Circle

It's pretty much exactly what happened in Arizona, so not really surprising

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:24 am 
Navigator Level

This looks, sounds, and feels nasty.
Not a surprise. Looking forward to the protests from the lsu fans . :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 am 
Coach Level

Quote:
Mouton: LSU, Will Wade's statements tell different stories

https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nc ... 82494937b1

Quote:
What Alleva didn’t say was, 'I welcome our coach back,' or 'we believe in our coach.' He stayed away from all those things. Instead, he said:
"...he answered all questions and denied any wrongdoing in connection with recently reported allegations of irregularities in college basketball recruiting."
Plus:
“Coach Wade's explanations and clarifications offered during the meeting, absent actual evidence of misconduct, satisfy his contractual obligation to LSU."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:15 am 
Regent's Circle

It would be interesting if the FBI decides to go full "Lori Loughlin" on guys like Self, Wade and Miller and indict them for wire fraud and money laundering.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 am 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
It would be interesting if the FBI decides to go full "Lori Loughlin" on guys like Self, Wade and Miller and indict them for wire fraud and money laundering.

We can only wish. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:40 am 
Coach Level

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Quote:
Mouton: LSU, Will Wade's statements tell different stories

https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nc ... 82494937b1

Quote:
What Alleva didn’t say was, 'I welcome our coach back,' or 'we believe in our coach.' He stayed away from all those things. Instead, he said:
"...he answered all questions and denied any wrongdoing in connection with recently reported allegations of irregularities in college basketball recruiting."
Plus:
“Coach Wade's explanations and clarifications offered during the meeting, absent actual evidence of misconduct, satisfy his contractual obligation to LSU."

Excuse me, 'ABSENT ACTUAL EVIDENCE OF MISCONDUCT'. The fact that the FBI has Wade saying something like 'I made a he** of an offer to the kid' is NOT actual evidence. Did I just fall down some cosmic bunny hole? What the heck is that? Same old same old from the boys up the river and the NCAA again does nothing. Oh, that's right they are in the $EC. What a sad joke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 am 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:

Full FBI would be going after the players and their families. We'll see if Mr. Smart is calling his lawyer today.

If you believe today's WSJ reporting (behind a paywall), that's what FBI is doing in the Loughlin case as well as the extra charges like money laundering against the parents.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/students-g ... ge=1&pos=1

Meanwhile DJH's analysis is dead-on. Alleva's comments are bizarre and foreboding as concerns Mr. Wade's future with LSU. This story is far from finished.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:34 am 
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
Meanwhile DJH's analysis is dead-on. Alleva's comments are bizarre and foreboding as concerns Mr. Wade's future with LSU. This story is far from finished.

that was indeed a good catch.. Alleva appears to have measured his words, wisely

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:35 am 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:

Did they have Sean Miller on the phone directly talking about what he offered a recruit? I thought Arizona's was a third party or an assistant (I could be misremembering). In this case, it's the friggin head coach on the phone talking about paying a recruit. There's no plausible deniability of knowledge.

I would love to know what explanation Wade's attorney told him to give LSU that kept him within his "contractual obligations".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:36 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Did they have Sean Miller on the phone directly talking about what he offered a recruit? I thought Arizona's was a third party or an assistant (I could be misremembering). In this case, it's the friggin head coach on the phone talking about paying a recruit. There's no plausible deniability of knowledge.

I would love to know what explanation Wade's attorney told him to give LSU that kept him within his "contractual obligations".

Miller was also recorded on a wiretap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:04 pm 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Miller was also recorded on a wiretap

Yeah, what he said. Essentially the same

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm 
Coach Level

My thought is that his "contractual obligation" is to meet and speak with the administration. He had been refusing to do even that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Wade could either say that wasn't him, or (probably more likely), that it was him and he said those things but he didn't do them. If Alleva wants/has to get rid of him, he will want to do so in a way that doesn't involve paying him the rest of his contract. Without proof that the offer was actually made and/or accepted, simply saying you made a strong a** offer isn't going to meet that threshold so Alleva's hands are pretty tied at this point. If Wade meets the obligations of his contract (by meeting with the LSU administration) then Alleva will just have to wait (or fire a popular coach and eat the rest of his contract) until there's more proof.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:30 pm 
President's Circle

I believe Will Wade has been subpoenaed to testify at a criminal trial. As I understand it, the defandant's counsel will seek to establish that under the table payments are business as usual and his client was not influencing behavior; instead his client was sort of being extorted. Under oath, Wade will get to explain that nasty wiretap conversation. I would expect Wade to be asked about illegal payments to the entire roster, one player at a time. He will be under oath. If he denies the payments, I would start calling parents to the stand.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:07 am 
Regent's Circle

maddog wrote:
I believe Will Wade has been subpoenaed to testify at a criminal trial. As I understand it, the defandant's counsel will seek to establish that under the table payments are business as usual and his client was not influencing behavior; instead his client was sort of being extorted. Under oath, Wade will get to explain that nasty wiretap conversation. I would expect Wade to be asked about illegal payments to the entire roster, one player at a time. He will be under oath. If he denies the payments, I would start calling parents to the stand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6