Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:54 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:

Well said and glad you're back. Although Steve Mura pitched one year for StL.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:20 am 
President's Circle

Cards hang a 10 spot on the Braves in the 1st and go on to win 13-1. Don't think anybody saw that coming.

Nationals come back from a 3-0 deficit to shock the Dodgers 7-3 in 10. A Howie Kendrick grand slam sealed the deal and gave the Nats their first postseason series victory since moving to DC in 2004. Needless to say I'm very happy this morning.

Astros and Ray's play a winner take all game today to wrap up the ALCS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:30 am 
Regent's Circle

Dave Roberts should be available to book for parties and conferences after this afternoon to talk about the stolen base that propelled the Red Sox to a World Series title... he won't be manager of the Dodgers any more.

Great comedy seeing my Atlanta friends saying "oh we're cursed"..one said the Braves losing last night was 2 years, 8 months and 3 days (28-3) since the Falcons choked. I doubt it's true, but if it helps them sleep at night under those MLS championship sheets for Atlanta United, I guess that's good for them. Maybe the Gwinnett Gladiators can win the ECHL this year for those poor, sad sports fans?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:53 am 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
Dave Roberts should be available to book for parties and conferences after this afternoon to talk about the stolen base that propelled the Red Sox to a World Series title... he won't be manager of the Dodgers any more.

Great comedy seeing my Atlanta friends saying "oh we're cursed"..one said the Braves losing last night was 2 years, 8 months and 3 days (28-3) since the Falcons choked. I doubt it's true, but if it helps them sleep at night under those MLS championship sheets for Atlanta United, I guess that's good for them. Maybe the Gwinnett Gladiators can win the ECHL this year for those poor, sad sports fans?

Technically that was the time between the events (it was the 4th day, not the 3rd).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

Congratulations to all the Cardinals diehards who had to endure 3 entire days without even winning a game between Games 1 and 4 of this series.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:24 pm 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Congratulations to all the Cardinals diehards who had to endure 3 entire days without even winning a game between Games 1 and 4 of this series.

Thoughts and prayers for Alabama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Technically that was the time between the events (it was the 4th day, not the 3rd).

anyway... to help me get further under the skin of Atlanta fans, I enjoyed pointing out how their lone 1995 title was a gift from the strike in 1994. The Expos were running away with the NL when the strike started in August. Had Montreal continued and won the NL East and potentially the World Series, there wouldn't have been a fire sale and guys like Cliff Floyd, Marquis Grissom, Larry Walker, Ken Hill, and John Wetteland would have either been re-signed or not traded away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:31 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

anyway... to help me get further under the skin of Atlanta fans, I enjoyed pointing out how their lone 1995 title was a gift from the strike in 1994. The Expos were running away with the NL when the strike started in August. Had Montreal continued and won the NL East and potentially the World Series, there wouldn't have been a fire sale and guys like Cliff Floyd, Marquis Grissom, Larry Walker, Ken Hill, and John Wetteland would have either been re-signed or not traded away.
That Montreal team was sick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:06 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

That Montreal team was sick.
Eh, would've lost to the Yankees anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:34 am 
President's Circle

Nats sweep the Cardinals and now await the winner of Astros-Yankees, which is at 2-1 in favor of the Astros.

Count this Nats fan very happy. This is only the third time in my life I've seen one of "my" teams play for a title (0-2 so far with the Titans and Preds). I don't have high hopes against either of their potential opponents, but just having the Nationals in the World Series after their awful start and several postseason whiffs is a great feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:39 am 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Count this Nats fan very happy. This is only the third time in my life I've seen one of "my" teams play for a title (0-2 so far with the Titans and Preds). I don't have high hopes against either of their potential opponents, but just having the Nationals in the World Series after their awful start and several postseason whiffs is a great feeling.
Sigh... I've sadly started to forget what it's like to care in October by September after August after July. :oops:

Last time I was watching my team in the World Series, the season started during my freshman year at Tulane and I watched us win the world championship right around the time basketball practice was starting in my sophomore year....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:41 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Sigh... I've sadly started to forget what it's like to care in October by September after August after July. :oops:

Last time I was watching my team in the World Series, the season started during my freshman year at Tulane and I watched us win the world championship right around the time basketball practice was starting in my sophomore year....

So in yoggie time that's like 50 years? :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

That’s why when the Phillies won the World Series in 2008 and the Eagles finally won a Super Bowl I made sure I went to the victory parades. You never know if/when it might happen again. When you follow teams all your life (Tulane/Phiilies/Eagles) and winning is not a given, it makes the occasional rise to the top all the more exhilarating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 am 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

So in yoggie time that's like 50 years? :)

No, no, no. In yoggie time that's still just as relevant to today as something last week. Nothing has changed in the game since those days! :wink: