Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
I've heard gambling as a potential issue as well.

In the picture above, it looks like he lost a bet so could be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:50 pm 
President's Circle

Obviously did not bet on Memphis this past Saturday. Laying 6.5 and winning by 22 with 10 minutes left. SMU scores with 8 minutes left, goes for two and converts which cuts the lead to 8. SMU gets ball back and scores with 2 minutes left. Instead of kicking the extra point, they go for two and convert with a pass to an OL who was uncovered. The final score was 54-48. If anyone bet on that game, it was that dike known as Sonny Dykes. I cannot rationalize going for 2 down by 8 with no time outs left. I am convinced he bet on the game. And yes, it cost me big time!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Obviously did not bet on Memphis this past Saturday. Laying 6.5 and winning by 22 with 10 minutes left. SMU scores with 8 minutes left, goes for two and converts which cuts the lead to 8. SMU gets ball back and scores with 2 minutes left. Instead of kicking the extra point, they go for two and convert with a pass to an OL who was uncovered. The final score was 54-48. If anyone bet on that game, it was that dike known as Sonny Dykes. I cannot rationalize going for 2 down by 8 with no time outs left. I am convinced he bet on the game. And yes, it cost me big time!

And what does that have to do with the coaching carousel thread?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:33 pm 
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:

The math has been done in another thread, but it increases your odds of winning to go for 2, down 8.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:28 pm 
President's Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Nothing.

Given the two threads before the one I posted dealt with gambling by a coach directly involved in the game I mentioned, I just thought it was an interesting/somewhat related incident.

Sorry for straying away from the main topic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 pm 
President's Circle

Wandering Quaker wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Rutgers has always been an also ran, and not just in sports. I think it has never outgrown its roots as a place for Jersey kids who had no prayer of getting into Princeton or any other nearby rich kid school, while still being close enough to have Mom do the laundry. It’s a shame because it’s facilities aren’t terrible. It’s more a state of mind. Demographics says it should have been a fit for a big time conference, the largest school in a densely populated state with a state legislature that mostly funds it well.

Maybe it’s Penn State envy. I don’t know. Every person I have known who graduated from Rutgers is almost apologetic about it.

Just because I feel like piling on Rutgers: about that historic 1869 football game. They like to remind folks that they defeated Princeton in that first-ever intercollegiate game 150 years ago. What they don't tell you is that later that Fall they went to Princeton to play a rematch and lost decisively, then lost the next thirty-two (!) games against Princeton, including one by a score of 82-0. Even during the infancy of college football, they were also-rans.

I mean hell if Bob Toledo can find a way to beat you...

And what does this have to with the coaching carousel thread?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:51 pm 
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Wandering Quaker wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Rutgers has always been an also ran, and not just in sports. I think it has never outgrown its roots as a place for Jersey kids who had no prayer of getting into Princeton or any other nearby rich kid school, while still being close enough to have Mom do the laundry. It’s a shame because it’s facilities aren’t terrible. It’s more a state of mind. Demographics says it should have been a fit for a big time conference, the largest school in a densely populated state with a state legislature that mostly funds it well.

Maybe it’s Penn State envy. I don’t know. Every person I have known who graduated from Rutgers is almost apologetic about it.

Just because I feel like piling on Rutgers: about that historic 1869 football game. They like to remind folks that they defeated Princeton in that first-ever intercollegiate game 150 years ago. What they don't tell you is that later that Fall they went to Princeton to play a rematch and lost decisively, then lost the next thirty-two (!) games against Princeton, including one by a score of 82-0. Even during the infancy of college football, they were also-rans.

Bob Toledo coached Tulane beat Greg Schiano coached Rutgers and Greg Schiano is being discussed.
Thanks for playing!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Wandering Quaker wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Bob Toledo coached Tulane beat Greg Schiano coached Rutgers and Greg Schiano is being discussed.
Thanks for playing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:35 am 
President's Circle

Very appropriate for all involved

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:40 am 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Very appropriate for all involved

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:09 am 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:

Got to get on those early Sunday lines TJ, before they get sharp. You could've had Memphis -3 at some places Sunday afternoon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:39 am 
Emerald Circle

Opinion: Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer are out so Florida State, USC must manage search expectations

Quote:
Hours after a flurry of Internet activity and even a report from a local television affiliate that Stoops was on the brink of accepting the Seminoles’ suddenly open coaching job, Stoops told ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit he’s “not a candidate” to replace Willie Taggart, who was fired on Sunday.

Look at the bright side, Florida State fans: Better to have your hopes and dreams dashed now than sometime the first week in December when your school disappoints you by hiring someone who, well, isn’t Bob Stoops.
If only everyone in the coaching search business was so smart.

As the coaching carousel begins to unfold over the next month with firings and rumors and leverage plays that will fuel new contracts, here’s some free advice to any athletics director or school president with an opening: Be up front about who you’re *not* going to hire.
Yes, that means you, Southern California.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:08 pm 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Got to get on those early Sunday lines TJ, before they get sharp. You could've had Memphis -3 at some places Sunday afternoon

You are absolutely correct

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:01 pm 
Regent's Circle

back to coaching carousel... South Florida is 4 and 4 and faces a gauntlet of two ranked teams, UCF and Temple to finish the season.. they do no better than 5 and 7.. will probably be 4 and 8. I am betting Strong gets axed and Taggart returns to Tampa.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:18 pm 
President's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
back to coaching carousel... South Florida is 4 and 4 and faces a gauntlet of two ranked teams, UCF and Temple to finish the season.. they do no better than 5 and 7.. will probably be 4 and 8. I am betting Strong gets axed and Taggart returns to Tampa.

The question for them is money. They badly need some upgrades football facilities. You wouldn't think it, but they are way behind in the arms race with UCF. Because of that they may keep Strong one more year just to not have to eat his buyout. Sooner or later, though, he is toast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

Greg Schiano reportedly making ‘significant demands’ in Rutgers talks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:
Quote:

In 11 seasons from 2001-11, Schiano went 68-67 as the head coach at Rutgers. In the seven-plus seasons since Schiano left for the NFL, the Scarlet Knights have gone 35-56 and are 13-43 since the start of the 2015 season; in the 17 years prior to his arrival in Piscataway, they went 67-114-2.

After leaving Rutgers, the 53-year-old Schiano spent two decidedly unsuccessful seasons (7-9 in 2012, 4-12 in 2013) as the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Schiano served as the defensive coordinator at Ohio State from 2016-18 before being replaced as part of the post-Urban Meyer staff shakeup by new OSU head coach Ryan Day. In the two years in between the NFL and OSU stints, Schiano coached at a Tampa preparatory school.

In 2017, Schiano was the leading candidate to replace Jones at Tennessee until he wasn’t.
What am I missing here (I don’t follow non-Tulane coaches.)? Looks like absolute mediocrity so why is he in demand by Rutgers or anyone else? Did he win at the prep school?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 pm 
President's Circle

Rutgers was real bad for a long time. Schiano made them respectable for a few years in a conference that lost most of its power programs. They want to recapture that magic and that's really all there is to it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 am 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Rutgers was real bad for a long time. Schiano made them respectable for a few years in a conference that lost most of its power programs. They want to recapture that magic and that's really all there is to it

Starting with his 5th season they started winning 7,8,9 games most seasons with one 11-2 year. Something like 56-33 from that point.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:07 am 
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Nothing.

Given the two threads before the one I posted dealt with gambling by a coach directly involved in the game I mentioned, I just thought it was an interesting/somewhat related incident.

Sorry for straying away from the main topic.
Well, at least you didn't turn it into a food thread!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:13 pm 
President's Circle

A game to keep an eye on this weekend - WKU at Arkansas. Arkansas is only a 1.5 point favorite and SP+ actually has WKU as the favorite. Arkansas has looked worse than awful this year, so if they lose this game I think it could be the end for Chad Morris. Even the "it's just year 2" excuse won't work - see Willie Taggart.

If it happens, Malzahn would likely be a top target. After that, it wouldn't surprise me if our own WF was in the mix, among others.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:39 am 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
A game to keep an eye on this weekend - WKU at Arkansas. Arkansas is only a 1.5 point favorite and SP+ actually has WKU as the favorite. Arkansas has looked worse than awful this year, so if they lose this game I think it could be the end for Chad Morris. Even the "it's just year 2" excuse won't work - see Willie Taggart.

If it happens, Malzahn would likely be a top target. After that, it wouldn't surprise me if our own WF was in the mix, among others.

Serious question: All things being equal, would you rather be HC at a school in a league you can win a championship, or in a more prestigious league but only be an also-ran year after year? (I know all things will NOT be equal, but the questions still stands).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:44 am 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Serious question: All things being equal, would you rather be HC at a school in a league you can win a championship, or in a more prestigious league but only be an also-ran year after year? (I know all things will NOT be equal, but the questions still stands).

Which one has the higher dollar expected value?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:08 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

WKU up 28-7 mid 2nd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

WKU up 28-7 mid 2nd

35-7 halftime. He may not last the season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next